Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wrath: Aeon of Ruin a Quake Engine Masterpiece? (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259200)

Evil Avatar 03-07-2019 06:43 AM

Wrath: Aeon of Ruin a Quake Engine Masterpiece?

Quote:

1C Entertainment, 3D Realms, creators of Duke Nukem 3D, Prey, and Max Payne, and KillPixel, presents a hard-core first person shooter, powered by the legendary Quake-1 Tech. Crafted by the hands of Quake-scene necromancers, WRATH is the real deal. You will not survive...

Evil Avatar 03-07-2019 06:46 AM

What a shame. I've seen just some amazing Quake 1 levels because one of the people I follow on twitter is into the Quake scene in a major way and this just looks bland in comparison.

I had high hopes, I figured they would round up some of these amazing designers and get them to do levels.

Guess not.

Wizzkidd 03-07-2019 07:08 AM

Due to how much I love DUSK, this attracts me more than it would have otherwise. If it feels both mechanically and topically similar to DUSK I will definitely pick it up. I will, however, wait for it to be released of course so I can check it out more thoroughly.

excalibur1814 03-07-2019 07:22 AM

Loved Heretic.
Loved Doom.
Loved Quake. (The grappling hook was ace... Cannot remember which mod that was)
Absolutely loved Hexen (But Hexen 2, not so much)
Liked Strafe (Despite no save points)

Day one purchase for me.

SpectralThundr 03-07-2019 07:35 AM

When did 3drealms become remedy and create Max Payne?

Misanthropist 03-07-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2532357)
Loved Heretic.
Loved Doom.
Loved Quake. (The grappling hook was ace... Cannot remember which mod that was)
Absolutely loved Hexen (But Hexen 2, not so much)
Liked Strafe (Despite no save points)

Day one purchase for me.

there were a few different mods that had different grapples

Some mods like CTF and freeze tag had a fun swinging grapple i wish more shooters had! q3a abandoned the grapple.
Others had a magnetic grapple that let you fly through the level like a bird never touching land. death from above the whole time.

My favorite was the "weapons of Mass/Destruction" WoD mods. Machine gun rockets, a dozen different grenades, streetsweaper (shot gun shell chain gun)

After the likes of doom 3 resurrection of evil, im not sure how quake 1 level design is going to make me shoot at shadows/scary sound effects, but one can hope...

vallor 03-07-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misanthropist (Post 2532375)
there were a few different mods that had different grapples

Some mods like CTF and freeze tag had a fun swinging grapple i wish more shooters had!

My favorite implementation of the grapple was Loki CTF which was magnetic. And like you mention if you did it right you could double grapple and if you knew the level layout never touch the floor.

One of my favorite things to do was kill grappling flag carriers which, due to the default speed of the grapple was hard as hell. That practice served me well years later after I left Quake behind for Starsiege Tribes and I learned not only to be a perfect "skater" but also had bullseye aim.

Mad Max RW 03-08-2019 09:18 AM

If they were truly retro they will miss the release date by a full year before switching to the Unreal 1 engine.