Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is Valve really working on something hardware related? (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167768)

lockwoodx 04-13-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdiscus (Post 2111986)
What do you guys want from a SteamBox?
- GB NIC
- Wireless N
- USB x4
- HDMI x1 (maybe 2)
- Optical Audio x1
- 4 CPU cores
- 8 GB RAM
- 2TB HDD

GPU wishes?

The quad core FX Bulldozer chip in my rig I've clocked up to 4.0ghz would be perfect for the stability and performance it provides considering I got it for $99 retail.

As for GPU that all depends on how "disposable" they want these things to be. If it comes out at around $300 and they plan on a 2-3 year life cycle before upgrades then they could get away with something as low as a 1gb 6870 or 400 series nvidia card. Since the customer never has to repurchase their library then cheap, low end boxes are very feasible.

lockwoodx 04-13-2012 09:02 AM

I also want to add that the last thing I want to see Valve do is produce something underpowered, because console gamers are going to expect ANY kind of "PC" (in a box!) to blow the socks off a console. First impressions are KEY.

ElektroDragon 04-13-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphiuchus (Post 2112001)
You know, most people don't care about achievements as much as you do.

You can replace "most" with "sane", or "normal" if you like.

Why would anyone sane and normal frequent this web site? :confused:

lockwoodx 04-13-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2112010)
Why would anyone sane and normal frequent this web site? :confused:

Because normal and sane are boring.

DeluxE 04-13-2012 09:39 AM

If Valve get into hardware, there's still a big difference between making a box that runs PC games and making a console.

A box that runs Steam, (current Steam, with the current Steam library), is called a computer. It does not address why console gamers buy console games. Console games are different than PC games.

If this is really a Steam console, that would mean that

a) Valve is trying to sell PC games to console gamers, (won't work)

or

b) Valve will be contributing to everything the PC elitists hate about console gaming, (e.g. "dumbed down" experiences and standardized tech that "holds gaming back" because it remains constant for years)

inscribed 04-13-2012 09:41 AM

Since Sony has already shown willingness to work with Valve, with its Steamworks integration on PS3, I think it'd be a smart move for Sony to collaborate with Valve on a console. Sony would have to give up some of its stranglehold over PSN, but imagine a single digital library of PS and Steam games, accessible from both PC and console.... it'll never happen, but I can dream. Plus, this would let Sony crack into the PC market with its games, a market the 360 has been able to hold over them.

AlfredT 04-13-2012 09:56 AM

Hey Im all for it, as long as it doesnt devolve into another Phantom Gaming console scandal... bleh

blackzc 04-13-2012 01:01 PM

Who wouldn't buy one? I have 90 steam games that are beggin for a nice consoleish UI and more controller support so i can sit on my couch and play.

ElektroDragon 04-13-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2112077)
Who wouldn't buy one? I have 90 steam games that are beggin for a nice consoleish UI and more controller support so i can sit on my couch and play.

Logitech Wireless Backlit Keyboard + Logitech Anywhere Mouse + DVI to HDMI cable out to TV + Audigy card with optical audio out and Dolby 5.1 encoding out to receiver + optional Xbox 360 controller for Windows = couchplay STEAMBOX with ZERO limitations and a lot less money!

blackzc 04-13-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2112080)
Logitech Wireless Backlit Keyboard + Logitech Anywhere Mouse + DVI to HDMI cable out to TV + Audigy card with optical audio out and Dolby 5.1 encoding out to receiver + optional Xbox 360 controller for Windows = couchplay STEAMBOX with ZERO limitations and a lot less money!

You play video games for achievements = Argument invalid. :D

Yes i have all of those things hooked up to my plasma and i do play steam games that way. But i still have to break out the mouse, boot windows, drag out the wireless KB to put in my PW since i logged into steam on my other PC. Im just saying, i would buy this to simplify my whole freaking life a bit and to not have to redownload a bunch of games when i reformat or buy a new PC.

Darkon 04-13-2012 02:00 PM

You know what'd be even better than a "Steam box?" Half-Life: Episode 3, you know that supposedly quick to release episodic content that we've been waiting for the last 5 years...

DeluxE 04-13-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkon (Post 2112101)
You know what'd be even better than a "Steam box?" Half-Life: Episode 3, you know that supposedly quick to release episodic content that we've been waiting for the last 5 years...

LOL, what, you think Valve really cares about making GAMES anymore? Their last big "AAA" title that took years to make was... the buget priced Portal 2, which although I admit I totally enjoyed, should not have taken as long or recieved as much praise as it did.

If they don't announce SOMETHING about Half Life 3 at E/ this year, I'm going to write Valve as a game company off.

Peelzbury 04-13-2012 02:50 PM

seeing as how Sony is proving to be far too incompetent to be a decent rival to the xbox, i welcome any smart company's foray into the console war.

Anenome 04-13-2012 03:28 PM

What if Apple and Valve go in on a console together:

Apple CEO Tim Cook Spotted at video game designer Valve headquarters (appleinsider.com)

lockwoodx 04-13-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2112134)

Apple CEO Tim Cook Spotted at video game designer Valve headquarters (appleinsider.com)

Sounds like that "what if" is never going to happen until apple stops sniffing their own farts.

Quote:

"We have this pattern with Apple," Newell said in an interview, "where we meet with them, people there go 'wow, gaming is incredibly important, we should do something with gaming,' and then we'll say, 'OK, here are three things you could do to make that better,' and then they say OK, and then we never see them again.

"And then a year later, a new group of people show up, who apparently have no idea that the last group of people were there, and never follow through on anything. So, they seem to think that they want to do gaming, but there's never any follow through on any of the things they say they're going to do."

Meeks 04-13-2012 04:33 PM

From a purely gaming standpoint, I don't really care what it is as long as it uses a mouse and keyboard. The main reason I rarely play my consoles is the lack of a mouse and keyboard.

sai tyrus 04-13-2012 05:07 PM

I don't see Valve doing this. Nor do I want to see them get into consoles. The only positive aspect of them getting into consoles is you'd probably see more goodwill towards gamers, something we've seen less of with the rise of the xbox.

Mazzicc 04-13-2012 05:36 PM

What I like about this is that other than the "me too" stuff they mention they're *not* doing, I honestly don't know what sort of truly innovative hardware PC gaming could want or need. Not that I don't think there is any, but that I don't know it, so I want to see it. What can they do with hardware to "invent whole new gaming experiences"?

Mazzicc 04-13-2012 05:37 PM

What I don't like is I only fall just short of the requirements for the electrical engineer position, and have almost none of the recommended.
That and I'm in grad school for another year and a half anyway

WileE.Coyte 04-13-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2112134)

It would look nice, cost a bajillon dollars and be bought in mass by people who would mostly stare at it.