Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Joaquin Phoenix's standalone #Joker movie will begin shooting this September (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254537)

Evil Avatar 07-10-2018 05:46 PM

Joaquin Phoenix's standalone #Joker movie will begin shooting this September

Quote:

The Joker origin movie is officially a go at Warner Bros.

Joaquin Phoenix recently finalized his deal to star as the arch-nemesis of Batman and shooting is set to begin in September in New York.

Todd Phillips is directing the film and co-wrote the script, which the studio describes as being an “exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” Scott Silver co-wrote the script.

Warners has yet to stake out a release date for the film, which goes against the grain of most comic book movies that have flags planted years in advance. But the Joker stand-alone pic is meant to be different from other comic book superhero movies.

The project's budget is in the $55 million range, significantly lower than the tentpoles that dominate the form. And the stand-alone is meant to be darker and more experimental in tone and content (at least as experimental as a studio can be with established brands such as DC), which is described as being akin to a crime drama.

That said, there is a chance that the movie could be ready for release as early as late 2019, depending on various factors.
HollywoodReporter.

Major Dan 07-10-2018 08:25 PM

What about Jared?

MechaDangerous 07-10-2018 08:52 PM

Yes, what about Jared!?

Major Dan 07-10-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechaDangerous (Post 2516701)
Yes, what about Jared!?

Glad you agree.

Evil Avatar 07-10-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major Dan (Post 2516695)
What about Jared?

He is getting another movie with Harley.

Azzy 07-10-2018 11:18 PM

I think this is the kind of thing DC should focus on. So far their attempts at the hero genre have fallen pretty flat for both fans and newbs alike. Suicide Squad was terrible and the Justice League came off made for TV.
This kind of thing, a one off, standalone, do whatever you want with the story without having some bullshit gobbler like Afleck scowl his way into too many scenes.. this could be their meal ticket. They better get it right.

davidj.dk 07-11-2018 12:07 AM

So, yet another proof that WB and DC have no clue about what they are doing, or rather, what they have been doing for the past couple of years..

I like phoenix, and I hope this one will be good.. However, unless they will finally put the horse in front of the cart, this is going to be as bad as the rest..

Also, make sure you keep the original director, and hire at least a decent writer..

AlfredT 07-11-2018 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major Dan (Post 2516695)
What about Jared?

Still in jail for molesting kids... oh wait.. other jared..

blackzc 07-11-2018 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidj.dk (Post 2516717)
So, yet another proof that WB and DC have no clue about what they are doing, or rather, what they have been doing for the past couple of years..

I like phoenix, and I hope this one will be good.. However, unless they will finally put the horse in front of the cart, this is going to be as bad as the rest..

Also, make sure you keep the original director, and hire at least a decent writer..

If they would just keep making animated movies id be happy, it would give a reason to watch a movie. BTAS Harley is so trashy and cute its ridiculous.
I haven't watched a single comic movie since Dark Knight but my guess is the DC ones are better than the marvel ones overall but Marvel movies are the ones ppl go to because, just because

Eats 07-11-2018 02:31 AM

I hope its better than the killing joke....

The Joker character is just too crazy to have a satisfying origin story.

Angelus073 07-11-2018 02:49 AM

Joker's lack of origin is one of things that makes he a great character. DC not getting their own IP.

DingBat 07-11-2018 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2516724)
If they would just keep making animated movies id be happy, it would give a reason to watch a movie. BTAS Harley is so trashy and cute its ridiculous.
I haven't watched a single comic movie since Dark Knight but my guess is the DC ones are better than the marvel ones overall but Marvel movies are the ones ppl go to because, just because

That's an........ interesting guess.

Juan 07-11-2018 04:17 AM

Isn't the Jokers backstory intentionally vague with lots of conflicting stories?

blackzc 07-11-2018 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DingBat (Post 2516730)
That's an........ interesting guess.

I mean it most likely applies to me since Marvel is now crap and DC at least tries to not jump on every social bandwagon available.

Major Dan 07-11-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfredT (Post 2516723)
Still in jail for molesting kids... oh wait.. other jared..

Ding, ding winner chicken dinner. Thanks for playing along. I am happy. :D

Major Dan 07-11-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2516703)
He is getting another movie with Harley.

That will be fun. But two jokers?

bub64882 07-11-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2516724)

Agree on the Animated DC. They have consistently put out quality animation, beating Marvel by a HUGE margin. Keep your eye on the DC Streaming service coming...Season 3 of Young Justice and a ton of animation backlog library. I'm excited.

But the reason people go to the Marvel movies is because....they are good movies. Not just better than DC, which is easy to do, but good movies. Better than the new Star Wars batch, better than just about any PG movies you can go see. The films themselves vary in tone significantly, and the films each have their own approach. They aren't slavish to a formula like Star Wars. They have heart. Even if the humor gets more weight than some would like, they still have heart; The triumphs and tragedies are real, even if the jokes permeate the rest of the film. DC by comparison is lacking heart AND humor, and trading it for grim tragedies scowling in the rain...with the exception of Wonder Woman, and that worked out well for them. Yes, almost all of this is a matter of opinion, but it seems to be a widespread opinion.

Exodus 07-11-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bub64882 (Post 2516765)
Agree on the Animated DC. They have consistently put out quality animation, beating Marvel by a HUGE margin. Keep your eye on the DC Streaming service coming...Season 3 of Young Justice and a ton of animation backlog library. I'm excited.

But the reason people go to the Marvel movies is because....they are good movies. Not just better than DC, which is easy to do, but good movies. Better than the new Star Wars batch, better than just about any PG movies you can go see. The films themselves vary in tone significantly, and the films each have their own approach. They aren't slavish to a formula like Star Wars. They have heart. Even if the humor gets more weight than some would like, they still have heart; The triumphs and tragedies are real, even if the jokes permeate the rest of the film. DC by comparison is lacking heart AND humor, and trading it for grim tragedies scowling in the rain...with the exception of Wonder Woman, and that worked out well for them. Yes, almost all of this is a matter of opinion, but it seems to be a widespread opinion.

The thing is they don't put out enough animated stuff. Their movie stuff is a wash at this point. They've managed to destroy their IPs and it's really not simply because they picked the wrong director. Whoever is helming their movie branch just plain fucked up plain and simple. How do you fuck up batman? How? It was never this bad even during the george clooney/val kilmer days.

Booda 07-11-2018 12:36 PM

Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor.

Todd Phillips is a fucking terrible director.

This movie will be an abysmal piece of shit.

MadMurdock_0311 07-11-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2516733)
I mean it most likely applies to me since Marvel is now crap and DC at least tries to not jump on every social bandwagon available.

I think you're confusing Marvel Comics with the MCU... they're entirely different. The comicbook wing of Marvel is a fucking disaster, however, the Cinematic Universe team is on fucking fire.

Also, I'm ok with Phoenix in this role. Really, anyone other than Leto is fine with me; Bring on Nic Cage version of the Joker! :p