Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   We worked at SIERRA! - The Rise, Fall & SCANDAL of Sierra On-Line (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245587)

Metal Jesus 05-19-2017 08:34 AM

We worked at SIERRA! - The Rise, Fall & SCANDAL of Sierra On-Line

Drunken Master Paul & I met while working at Sierra On-line in the mid 1990s in Bellevue, Wa during the height of the game publishers popularity. In this video, hear stories about how we met, colorful characters we worked with, crazy parties we hosted, games we loved and hated, the rise and fall of Sierra as a company and much more!

Sierra still exists...but in name only. Everybody who worked there in the 80s & 90s was let go. This is the story...

Evil Avatar 05-19-2017 11:09 AM

I worked at Activision during that same time period. Good times.

Metal Jesus 05-19-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2483276)
I worked at Activision during that same time period. Good times.

Did you really? Ever do any game trades like we did?

vallor 05-19-2017 01:11 PM

I worked briefly at Sierra on some of their Edutainment titles at the Bellevue headquarters way back in the early 90s. One of my first gigs in the software industry.

As you got the answers right in the quizzes you unlocked games as rewards. I remember being so weirded out messing around with games at work my boss actually had to remind me the whole goal was not just to test the educational content but to test the games too. Still it was much better than listening to the damn mascot of the series (Addie? Addy? Forgot) who would pipe up every 5 seconds with something stupid in a stupid voice to keep kids engaged.

Sometimes still feels surreal to launch a game I had a hand in or am working on. Like I'm being a little bit naughty in the middle of the day.

Metal Jesus 05-19-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2483302)
I worked briefly at Sierra on some of their Edutainment titles at the Bellevue headquarters way back in the early 90s. One of my first gigs in the software industry.

Did you work at Brightstar or Davidson? or was this in-house Sierra development?

Evil Avatar 05-19-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2483301)
Did you really? Ever do any game trades like we did?

When I first went to work for them, they gave me a copy of everything they had out and most of their back catalog, either as retail copies or burned CD's. So, I guess it never occurred to me to trade with anyone when I had so much to play.

brandonjclark 05-19-2017 06:14 PM

DMP looks a bit like Maynard from Tool in those old clips, lol.

vallor 05-19-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2483304)
Did you work at Brightstar or Davidson? or was this in-house Sierra development?

The name on the building was Sierra but I'm pretty sure it was after the consolidation with Davidson. Sierra didn't have much in the way of edu-tainment prior to the Knowledge Adventure stuff mid-90s so my dates are probably a little off.

I remember being on the same floor as print artist or something. It was floor boring. The nice thing about testing edutainment games is when you get a 5th grade math problem wrong you can always say "I was checking to make sure it knew it was the wrong answer."

SpectralThundr 05-19-2017 11:13 PM

Valor or MJ. Who was the parent in that meger? Sierra or Davidson? Haven't watched the video yet but I'd be very interested in hearing MJs take on where Sierra went wrong.

Metal Jesus 05-20-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2483332)
Valor or MJ. Who was the parent in that meger? Sierra or Davidson? Haven't watched the video yet but I'd be very interested in hearing MJs take on where Sierra went wrong.

CUC bought both Sierra and Davidson for 1.5 billion... or 1.8 billion.. but they were both equals in the merger, meaning they each had their own vertical in the overall company.

Zombosis 05-21-2017 03:18 PM

I still feel a burning, seething rage when I think about what Sierra did to Dynamix after Tribes 2.

GodFather 05-21-2017 05:24 PM

Great video! I really enjoyed it, and hope you do more things like this in the future. great job!