Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sony Snares Tom Hardy to play Venom (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245597)

Evil Avatar 05-19-2017 11:46 AM

Sony Snares Tom Hardy to play Venom

Sony has announced via Twitter that Tom Hardy will play Venom, with Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer set to come on board as director.

Quote:

Tom Hardy is Eddie Brock in #Venom, the upcoming film from Sony’s Marvel Universe releasing October 5, 2018 – production starts this fall.

Chimpbot 05-19-2017 12:42 PM

I have absolutely no faith in this movie, regardless of who they cast. While Marvel Studios has turned into a well-oiled machine, their films still take over a year - start to finish - to produce. Their earliest efforts took two years. Hell, even Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 took nearly a year and a half, from the time filming began to the theatrical release.

This particular film only now has a director and lead actor, with a questionably-completed script and production set to begin within five months. Roughly one year later, it's scheduled to be in theaters. No amount of lipstick is going to dress this pig up.

ashikenshin 05-19-2017 12:49 PM

poor guy, hopefully nobody goes to the theatre to see this crap.

excalibur1814 05-19-2017 12:56 PM

It hasn't even started and you're both saying that it'll suck? Blimey.

Chimpbot 05-19-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2483297)
It hasn't even started and you're both saying that it'll suck? Blimey.

Normally, I try to refrain from that sort of thing...but, given the typical timetable for this sort of film, they're just not giving themselves enough time to put things together properly.

I could be wrong. Hell, I hope I'm wrong.

Terran 05-19-2017 01:20 PM

I'm getting so sick of the comic-movie genre at this point. It's everywhere, constant, and just too much.

Mad Max RW 05-19-2017 02:18 PM

Have to admit I am now mildly interested. At least it shows they learned something after Topher Grace.

ashikenshin 05-19-2017 02:47 PM

it's all a feminist plot :P

Dag-Sabot 05-21-2017 09:16 AM

Too soon...

Evil Avatar 05-21-2017 09:27 AM

They are sure rushing this one into production, but at least they picked a decent actor. Hardy was great in Taboo. (Which is getting a second season.)

Hard to say what they can do with only a year. For filming that's fine if you already have a script, but doing big budget FX in only a year? Ouch. I know they are going with the Anti-Hero idea here, he isn't a straight villain and I think they are doing R-Rated. It should be interesting to see if it works.

Evil Avatar 05-21-2017 09:29 AM

Oh, and I don't think Spider-Man is back out of the Marvel Universe. The agreement between Sony and Marvel was pretty much a blank slate. Sony leased Spider-Man back to Marvel for Zero dollars in exchange for Marvel producing and distributing future Spider-Man movies. It is silly to think that deal only included the one film and the one Avengers appearance. That's just dumb.