Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   IO Interactive Goes Fully Independent, Keeps Rights To Hitman Series (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246298)

Emabulator 06-16-2017 02:28 PM

IO Interactive Goes Fully Independent, Keeps Rights To Hitman Series

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:

Square Enix has completed the sale of Hitman developer IO Interactive. The developer said in a statement today that it is now fully independent after "successfully conclud[ing] negotiations with Square Enix." IO said it agreed to a "management buyout," and importantly, the developer retains the rights to the Hitman franchise, which is good news indeed.

vallor 06-16-2017 02:30 PM

Very cool. This worked out quite well for Bungie, hope it works out as well for IO. Of course Bungie went out on a high note with Halo as a super blockbuster franchise setting up a bidding war for their next IP. Hitman and IO... not so much.

dirtbag 06-16-2017 04:47 PM

Getting a hitman entry without Squenix' fingerprints on it? Sounds good!

LostToys 06-16-2017 04:55 PM

Going episodic killed Hitman for me. I may still pick it up later on when it goes on sale, but the initial release method destroyed any kind of anticipation I had for Hitman.

JazGalaxy 06-17-2017 04:29 AM

How strange. Square bought eidos and have seemingly mismanaged the heck out of it. This new tomb raider movie better hit, because they are really blowing it.

dirtbag 06-17-2017 05:28 AM

The shit

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2486155)
How strange. Square bought eidos and have seemingly mismanaged the heck out of it. This new tomb raider movie better hit, because they are really blowing it.

I thought they did a good job with the Deus Ex franchise, but really shit the bed with Hitman. Hopefully, IO can dig 47 out of the shit, and revive the the Hitman series.

Chimpbot 06-17-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2486155)

I won't be happy with the way they've done things until we get a proper Legacy of Kain title again.

JazGalaxy 06-17-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtbag (Post 2486158)
I thought they did a good job with the Deus Ex franchise, but really #### the bed with Hitman. Hopefully, IO can dig 47 out of the ####, and revive the the Hitman series.

Well, ironically, the most recent Hitman did extremely well and the most recent Deus Ex was a bit of a flop, apparently. Square Enix cancelled any plans for a further sequel and for DLC.

JazGalaxy 06-17-2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2486162)
I won't be happy with the way they've done things until we get a proper Legacy of Kain title again.

I think the time is probably right for it. But they would have to reboot it. Teenagers don't know Kain or Raziel.

Zombies are played out, so I think a return to vampires would do well.

Chimpbot 06-17-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2486181)
I think the time is probably right for it. But they would have to reboot it. Teenagers don't know Kain or Raziel.

Zombies are played out, so I think a return to vampires would do well.

I'd settle for a reboot, but I want to see the resolution of the cliffhanger. Hell, I'd even take a book at this point.

A reboot, going back to Legacy of Kain, would be cool, though.

JazGalaxy 06-18-2017 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2486189)
I'd settle for a reboot, but I want to see the resolution of the cliffhanger. Hell, I'd even take a book at this point.

A reboot, going back to Legacy of Kain, would be cool, though.

Definitely. Especially sine they would have a better idea of where the story was meant to go.

I really want to replay Legacy Of Kain at some point. I really wanted to like that game but the load times on the PSX were prohibitive to me, at that point.

AlfredT 06-18-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2486194)
Definitely. Especially sine they would have a better idea of where the story was meant to go.

I really want to replay Legacy Of Kain at some point. I really wanted to like that game but the load times on the PSX were prohibitive to me, at that point.

Don't worry, the original Legacy of Kain was imho kinda dark-fuggly and joylessly difficult. However, the storyline was pretty cool at the time.