Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Star Trek Discovery Premieres Sunday September 24th (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246325)

Evil Avatar 06-19-2017 11:58 AM

Star Trek Discovery Premieres Sunday September 24th

Quote:

CBS has announced that the upcoming Star Trek Discovery will officially debut on the network on Sunday, September 24. The first and second episodes will be available on their streaming service, CBS All Access, that night as well.

After premiere night, all new episodes will be available on-demand weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the U.S. The 15-episode season will be released in two chapters. The first eight episodes will run from Sunday, Sept. 24 through Sunday, Nov. 5. The season will then resume with the second chapter in January 2018.

vallor 06-19-2017 12:19 PM

Way to doom an already shaky show to failure.

Sensei-X 06-19-2017 12:25 PM

Interested, but the show will likely utterly fail and the second chapter will never see the light of day so I'll pass until (and if) I'm proven wrong. And even then I'll just get it on blu-ray.

BeardedSonOfNel 06-19-2017 01:08 PM

The USS Fail ship has set course at warp factor 9

Terran 06-19-2017 01:53 PM

Yawn .

blackzc 06-19-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2486316)
Yawn .

*High five*

excalibur1814 06-19-2017 03:10 PM

"will be available on their streaming service, CBS All Access"

So... that means that, most probably, most of the U.K. won't get to see it.

Illegal downloads then. Shame that the viewing figures will doom it instead of the idiotic reason to etc etc blah blah. I've been waiting for a new Sci-Fi show as I've missed ST/B5/BG. At least we have Dark Matter and The Expanse.

Masked Loser 06-19-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2486351)
"will be available on their streaming service, CBS All Access"

So... that means that, most probably, most of the U.K. won't get to see it.

Illegal downloads then. Shame that the viewing figures will doom it instead of the idiotic reason to etc etc blah blah. I've been waiting for a new Sci-Fi show as I've missed ST/B5/BG. At least we have Dark Matter and The Expanse.

UK will actually get to watch it on Netflix.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/19/the-st...er-25-6720445/

PacerDawn 06-19-2017 04:46 PM

Exclusives for other services, such as HBO's Game Of Thrones and the various Marvel shows on Netflix, are value adds. People go to those services for other things and the exclusives serve as a tipping point for those on the fence. CBS does not appear to understand that. It's like they think all it will take for people to join their service is the exclusive show or two.

It doesn't seem to me that there are a lot of people on the edge wondering if they should subscribe to All-Access or not. There are probably some hard-core trekkers out there who will do it just for this show, but not in the numbers I think they are hoping for. And even if there are, they will probably drop the subscription as soon as the show is over.

I will be surprised if this is successful for their streaming service.

excalibur1814 06-19-2017 04:48 PM

Good to know but I don't have Netflix and never will.

Paranoia 06-19-2017 07:20 PM

The show will fail because its trying so far to be politically correct.

BadIronTree 06-19-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoia (Post 2486377)

lol have you watched any of the old series... all they did is to Cause drama xD

First Interracial kiss on Tv ... etc ;)

JazGalaxy 06-20-2017 04:03 AM

I think that CBS is trying to use this to push their subscription service, but if it fails, they will air the episodes some other way.

It's a bit of catch 22. They need a big fish to push their subscription service, but they can't just let the fish wither if nobody bites. It's too big a fish.

karaliusbronius 06-20-2017 05:48 AM

RARBG FTW, I'm excited for the show but no way I'm paying another streaming service. My $120 DirecTV bill a month is enough.

gunbust3r 06-20-2017 12:16 PM

Would consider for $1 a month. $10 for commercial free? Nope.

vallor 06-20-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbust3r (Post 2486430)
Would consider for $1 a month. $10 for commercial free? Nope.

Not for just one channel for one series for as long as they are dragging it out. Bring it to Netflix in the US and I'll watch it.

Heck I might sub for a month after it's all aired and binge on the whole season on demand. Why haven't these people learned from the other streaming services yet?

Chimpbot 06-20-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoia (Post 2486377)

I guess you've never seen a Star Trek series before. It's always been politically progressive.

walstib 06-20-2017 03:16 PM

put it on netflix so i can see if it suketh or not.

if it doth not suketh, then put it on bluray or UHD so I can buy and rip to my media server

i have low hopes however given that DS9 was the start of the decline (not bad mind you), Voyager continued it in fine tradition (thankfully it had 7 of 9, which I could stare at for 42 mins without blinking), and Enterprise well, it is what it is i guess.....

and WTF is going on with the movies since the reboot? i miss the original series and TNG which had some fine elements of Science FICTION; it was thought provoking, ground breaking, and creative. it wasn't like watching a video game.

The Motion Picture is still one of my favorites. Slow, plodding, imaginative, like 2001. They could have expanded on the alien race we never get to see that captured Voyager and reprogrammed it and sent it back out. V'Ger baby.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/V%27ger