Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oats Studios - Zygote (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246893)

Evil Avatar 07-15-2017 10:48 AM

Oats Studios - Zygote

Evil Avatar 07-15-2017 10:49 AM

I watched God, Zygote and Rakka today. I thought God was the most fun. Zygote and Rakka have great FX but have almost zero storyline. They are nice as FX showcases, but beyond that they don't tell much of a story for their 20 minute presentations.

I'm not sure if he is trying here to convince the public to just give him money to make more, or convince Hollywood that he deserves another chance at a big budget feature. If I had to guess, it would be that second thing.

wunshot 07-15-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2488036)
I watched God, Zygote and Rakka today. I thought God was the most fun. Zygote and Rakka have great FX but have almost zero storyline. They are nice as FX showcases, but beyond that they don't tell much of a story for their 20 minute presentations.

I'm not sure if he is trying here to convince the public to just give him money to make more, or convince Hollywood that he deserves another chance at a big budget feature. If I had to guess, it would be that second thing.

I kinda had the feeling he was just doing them for fun to show that cool things can be made without big budget studio money.

Elysium and District 9 made $500 million worldwide between the two of them. I can't imagine he would be having that hard of a time getting funding for whatever he wanted to make next.

Mad Max RW 07-15-2017 11:50 AM

They did a behind the scenes followup that explains the background story:

It's quite cool and I hope they get a chance to flesh it out with a full movie.

Skunk 07-16-2017 07:33 AM

Got a bit of a "Thing" vibe to it.

I liked Rakka but I thought the one that took place in Viet Nam was probably my favorite, just because it was so out-there.

Demo_Boy 07-17-2017 06:45 AM

I felt Zygote was done really well, but I don't want another The Thing.
Honestly, I'm surprised we havent already had a news report of Oats getting signed by Netflix or Amazon

Chimpbot 07-17-2017 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2488036)

Blomkamp is using these short films to gauge community interest as to which of them would be best to expand into a feature-length film. These are essentially supposed to be snapshots or "rough drafts".

He goes into detail in this interview about his intent.