Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weekend Gamer: What are you playing? (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258941)

Jetherik 02-22-2019 10:41 AM

Weekend Gamer: What are you playing?

With record rain and snow in Arizona, what better excuse to play on the computer and be safe inside! What are you playing?

Chimpbot 02-22-2019 01:07 PM

Thanks to that recent story about Elite Dangerous, I might actually pick it up and give it a whirl. Seems like it could be fun, especially as something to mess around with in between other games.

Booda 02-22-2019 01:32 PM

Finally giving Metro 2033 a play through (with Last Light & Exodus to follow). A very subpar FPS with fantastic atmosphere/sound design.

I'm a huge fan of Tarkovsky's film 'Stalker' so this plays right into my wheelhouse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetherik (Post 2531308)

With record rain and snow in Arizona...

My sister & brother-in-law have been living in Tucson for the past 15 years & haven't seen anything like this. I got a pic sent to me earlier today of one of my nieces building a snowman. :)

Mad Max RW 02-22-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2531321)
Thanks to that recent story about Elite Dangerous, I might actually pick it up and give it a whirl. Seems like it could be fun, especially as something to mess around with in between other games.

Prepare to not have time for other games.

Do every tutorial and avoid Open multiplayer for at least a couple days. If you want player interaction restricted to coop join Mobius. Everybody there is friendly and cool. I don’t know what your controller situation is but with practice I got pretty good with the 360 controller before upgrading to a vastly superior HOTAS two weeks later. Honestly the game is designed with a thruster and joystick first and makes combat a joy.

The fastest way to get out of your starter ship and move up in the world slightly is to hang around resource sites following the local space cops as they attack wanted ships. Never shoot anybody until it says in red letters WANTED. I think the only thing I bought for my starting Sidewinder (besides fuel) was a chaff launcher. Always have at least three times the amount of money needed to rebuy your stuff in case you die. Don’t hesitate to run away. Keep an eye on the fuel and learn the scoopable star types. I don’t think I left my first system until buying a very fast Viper. The early game ship advancement is great. Don’t think about the Anaconda for half a year. Avoid the engineers until you have a good mid tier ship you find yourself using all the time. Remember to ask permission to land at every outpost, space station, etc and don’t dick around for too long when leaving or they will kill you. Think of yourself as a tiny fish surrounded by bigger asshole fish and gigantic sharks. One day you can be a shark with billions upon billions of credits. When I reached that point all challenge left the game and I look back at those first weeks and months with fondness.

CthulhuFan 02-22-2019 01:49 PM

Continuing escapades in ESO doing stupid shit like reading lore and filling out the 3D map in Vvardenfell and just generally dicking off.

Prototyping arcade controller setups at a friends place tomorrow after having turned him on to MAME ... He's good at woodworking, I'm good with electronics and we're both old arcade nerds so we are having a ball messing around with stuff...

SpectralThundr 02-22-2019 01:53 PM

Finished a Dragon Age: Inquisition playthrough and started another, completely changed a majority of choices from the previous games to see what impact if any it gives on dialog/situations. Pretty much just staying occupied til The Division 2 ships in a few weeks.

ElektroDragon 02-22-2019 01:56 PM

Will be playing Anthem! And new Tomb Raider, RE2 maybe. And I finally tried Far Cry New Dawn and found out that holy crap it's actually good and politics free, and the black chicks ARE the bad guys. WOW. Did not see that coming AT ALL. Freaking Naughty Dog could learn a lesson from Ubisoft.

Skunk 02-22-2019 04:55 PM

Pre-Ordered MW5 so I'm back into MWO for a little bit, since they gave me a bunch of in-game gold with the pre-order. Bought a "Hero" mech and having a blast with it.

Other than that, I'm inexplicably playing classic EverQuest again 20 years later on Project 1999's server. It's just as hard and fun as I remember it, but also just as slooowww.

HillTribe 02-22-2019 06:52 PM

Sea of thieves! Been having a blast with this game.

Meeks 02-22-2019 08:34 PM

Anthem and some Rocket League

Inkabodcrane 02-23-2019 04:29 AM

Eh, spending time with a bunch of games recently.

Resident Evil 2 daily
Far Cry New Dawn daily
Anthem - been trying to get into it but not sure I really am digging it. Kind of meh so far.

Crackdown 3 seems like perfect mindless fun. Great for listening to podcasts and stuff. Playing it right now actually.

Still playing Dusk, sincerely love that game.

Still playing a few rounds of PUBG every day or so.

Also got back into The Forest. I tried it in VR and that hooked me. Playing without enemies for now until I can craft and survive quickly, then I'll try with enemies again.

Looking forward to the new TRIALS which I just realized comes out next week! Trials for life!

Evil Avatar 02-23-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2531321)

Same, I am going to split my weekend between Elite Dangerous and Shadow of War. I never got far in the PS4 version of Elite, so Iím literally just starting the game.

Evil Avatar 02-23-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HillTribe (Post 2531353)
Sea of thieves! Been having a blast with this game.

Sweet! We should schedule a day to crew together. Iíve got it on the PC, but I think it does cross platform play.

BeardedSonOfNel 02-23-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CthulhuFan (Post 2531325)
Continuing escapades in ESO doing stupid shit like reading lore and filling out the 3D map in Vvardenfell and just generally dicking off.

Prototyping arcade controller setups at a friends place tomorrow after having turned him on to MAME ... He's good at woodworking, I'm good with electronics and we're both old arcade nerds so we are having a ball messing around with stuff...

That sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck.

BeardedSonOfNel 02-23-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2531367)
Sweet! We should schedule a day to crew together. Iíve got it on the PC, but I think it does cross platform play.

It is cross platform!

BeardedSonOfNel 02-23-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2531366)
Same, I am going to split my weekend between Elite Dangerous and Shadow of War. I never got far in the PS4 version of Elite, so Iím literally just starting the game.

Same here too (elite). I picked it up for the PC awhile back, and put about 8 hours into it. I loved what I was playing, but it is a huge time sink.

BeardedSonOfNel 02-23-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetherik (Post 2531308)
With record rain and snow in Arizona, what better excuse to play on the computer and be safe inside! What are you playing?

Got a ton of snow here too, but then I live in the north.
https://i.postimg.cc/JnP220Mt/527825...36279040-n.jpg

PatrickRes9 02-23-2019 10:27 AM

My northern Maine friends already got over 120 inches of snow this year.

Pretty crazy.

Playing:
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Smash Bros Ultimate
FFXIV
Yakuza Kiwami

CthulhuFan 02-23-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel (Post 2531369)
That sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck.

Thanks, we're having a lot of fun so far just dorking around. A lot of folks don't get how prototyping works so they say "Wow, that's a shit design" or they just don't generally get the idea that we are fucking around trying to make sure shit works right before we commit to a really nice final design; all they see is the 2x4s and they think we're jank. Hopefully this picture comes across ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l00qto1xtk...81%29.jpg?dl=0

CthulhuFan 02-23-2019 11:12 AM

https://ucf661002250d12cce1358fbcd99...eg?size_mode=5