Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hacked NES Classic Edition More Than Doubles The Console's Game Count (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242385)

JazGalaxy 01-11-2017 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2468696)
Who is whining, you imbecile? I replied to Evil that I still wouldn't desire to own it. Do you think that every post on a hobbyist website is whining unless it is gung-ho enthusiastic?

By the time I had talked about people whining I had moved on from your specific comment and was talking about my feelings about the console in general.

But, yeah. I feel like people who want it talking about it makes complete sense. People who don't want it either ignore it or say why they don't want it. But people who continually talk about how it's not some other thing, repeatedly are... whining.

alienchild 01-11-2017 12:44 AM

Why have a controller with cable? WHAT THE FUCK!? Get a Raspberry Pi instead and play whatever old console you want. https://retropie.org.uk

Rommel 01-11-2017 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2468698)
By the time I had talked about people whining I had moved on from your specific comment and was talking about my feelings about the console in general.

By the time you talked about people whining, exactly one person had commented: Evil, asking for a cart-compatible SNES release. So now you're stupid and a liar.

Quote:

But, yeah. I feel like people who want it talking about it makes complete sense. People who don't want it either ignore it or say why they don't want it. But people who continually talk about how it's not some other thing, repeatedly are... whining.
This is a news-based message board. We comment in relation to news stories, such as the news that hackers are expanding on the NES Classic's included game total and how this influence's the product's desirability. In my case, even expanding the ROM list does not make the device desirable. That's not whining, you illiterate troglodyte.

JazGalaxy 01-11-2017 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2468700)
By the time you talked about people whining, exactly one person had commented: Evil, asking for a cart-compatible SNES release. So now you're stupid and a liar.


This is a news-based message board. We comment in relation to news stories, such as the news that hackers are expanding on the NES Classic's included game total and how this influence's the product's desirability. In my case, even expanding the ROM list does not make the device desirable. That's not whining, you illiterate troglodyte.

Oh go drown yourself asshole.

"whining about it limitations seems stupid since there are literally dozens if not hundreds of other ways to get what people whine about the NES Mini not doing. They're basically just complaining to complain."

See where I put "what people whine about"? I never put Evil and I never put you.

But in your case, if the shoe fits...

You're apparently touchy about it.

Scherge 01-11-2017 05:01 AM

I don't quite understand what everyone's so touchy about. I'll admit that there are some legit complaints, but they're nothing to get your panties in a bunch. Seriously: At 60 dollars, you get some cute Nintendo hardware and a bunch of classic games that would probably run you twice as much in the eShop! And I really appreciate the fact that I can use the Wii controller. What's a 7-euro cable? Remember when you had to buy better AV cables for all your new consoles, because they came with a shitty composite or even RF connector?

The whole point of the NES Mini - at least, for me - is that it is NOT a wireless touch device emulating thousands of old games. If you care about wireless controllers with reset buttons (how often do you reset games in one session, I wonder?), you probably don't care about those ugly 8-bit games with their tinny sound and annoying 2-button control schemes anyway. Go play "Fight Night" instead of "Punch-Out!!", "Elite: Dangerous" instead of "Galaga" and "Mighty No. 9" instead of "Mega Man 2" (heh:-)!

Me, I'm interested in expanding the library, because I was secretly hoping it would contain "Kung Fu" and that simple "Tennis" game. I really liked those 30 years back. Maybe "Xevious" as well, because there's no such thing as too much Xevious.

JazGalaxy 01-11-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2468706)
I don't quite understand what everyone's so touchy about. I'll admit that there are some legit complaints, but they're nothing to get your panties in a bunch. Seriously: At 60 dollars, you get some cute Nintendo hardware and a bunch of classic games that would probably run you twice as much in the eShop! And I really appreciate the fact that I can use the Wii controller. What's a 7-euro cable? Remember when you had to buy better AV cables for all your new consoles, because they came with a shitty composite or even RF connector?

The whole point of the NES Mini - at least, for me - is that it is NOT a wireless touch device emulating thousands of old games. If you care about wireless controllers with reset buttons (how often do you reset games in one session, I wonder?), you probably don't care about those ugly 8-bit games with their tinny sound and annoying 2-button control schemes anyway. Go play "Fight Night" instead of "Punch-Out!!", "Elite: Dangerous" instead of "Galaga" and "Mighty No. 9" instead of "Mega Man 2" (heh:-)!

Me, I'm interested in expanding the library, because I was secretly hoping it would contain "Kung Fu" and that simple "Tennis" game. I really liked those 30 years back. Maybe "Xevious" as well, because there's no such thing as too much Xevious.

Kung Fu is kind of a curious omission, in my opinion. I feel like that game holds up rather well.

As for Tennis, that game is indeed great. But they are apparently choosing one game from every year. So we were left with only one or two black box games. Baloon Fighter I don't have much affection for. I never even saw it when I was young. I didn't know it was a thing until Smash Bothers, I think.

PacerDawn 01-11-2017 07:08 AM

My theory on the short cords is that they were going for the complete "mini" experience, and that included making small cables as well. User experience took a back seat to authentic look-n-feel.

Or, they didn't think people would actually hook it up to a high-def TV as it would look like crap. For example:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2468696)
The two problems are unique, individual and both worthy of inclusion to anyone's opinion of the NES Classic Atari Flashback All-In-One Joystick (Available at the impulse lane at Target) for $60.

I got one of those when it was on sale for $30 at Dollar General. You would think they would at least upscale the graphics, but no. The thing looks like absolute dog-doo, even on a 32" LCD TV. Very disappointing. I should have waited for the portable one.

Rommel 01-11-2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2468702)
Oh go drown yourself asshole.

May your loved ones die of super AIDS.

Quote:

"whining about it limitations seems stupid since there are literally dozens if not hundreds of other ways to get what people whine about the NES Mini not doing. They're basically just complaining to complain."
Dozens of ways to spend money or sweat equity getting a consumer product to function in a comfortable and desirable method? Well gee golly gosh, by that logic there are dozen of ways to replace a crystal on a ring with a diamond but you don't give the Swarovski that credit either, fuckboi. Maybe, just maybe, they're not complaining but merely voicing their view on the matter and your third grade reading comprehension finally died of super AIDS.

Quote:

See where I put "what people whine about"? I never put Evil and I never put you.
You responded directly to a quotation from me. ...Oh my goodness, do you not even know what you're doing? Has your grief at watching your last family member whither and die of super AIDS left you in a zombie like state, acting without rationale or memory thereafter? I'm soooooo sooorrry for you. I hope noooooothing else bad happens to you in 2017--beyond my undying lust for your suffering from super AIDS, naturally.

Quote:

But in your case, if the shoe fits...

You're apparently touchy about it.
You touch children and give them super AIDS.

AkumaATR 01-11-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2468711)
Kung Fu is kind of a curious omission, in my opinion. I feel like that game holds up rather well.

As for Tennis, that game is indeed great. But they are apparently choosing one game from every year. So we were left with only one or two black box games. Baloon Fighter I don't have much affection for. I never even saw it when I was young. I didn't know it was a thing until Smash Bothers, I think.

Remember, third-party licensing was almost definitely a factor in what games they were able to include (they prob. had to come to agreements on licensing costs for some of these games -- maybe the Kung Fu guys (Data East?) wanted more bank than Nintendo was willing to throw their way. Who knows.

screwyluie 01-11-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PacerDawn (Post 2468714)
My theory on the short cords is that they were going for the complete "mini" experience, and that included making small cables as well. User experience took a back seat to authentic look-n-feel.

Or, they didn't think people would actually hook it up to a high-def TV as it would look like crap.

they work with the wiimote, which was a great idea in theory. You can't have 9 feet of cable hanging from your wiimote unless you're playing a jump rope game lol. The short cords make sense when you look at it from their design point of view, but to the consumer not so much. and besides, the classic controller on the wii is better equipped for playing your games, the only thing this is good for is NES games and the wii supports more than nes games.

It was all done in good faith and good ideas but they needed someone to ground them in reality and take a step back to realize that it was never a good idea for the consumer.

Scherge 01-11-2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkumaATR (Post 2468717)
Remember, third-party licensing was almost definitely a factor in what games they were able to include (they prob. had to come to agreements on licensing costs for some of these games -- maybe the Kung Fu guys (Data East?) wanted more bank than Nintendo was willing to throw their way. Who knows.

That thought occurred to me, but if that's indeed the reason, it was probably more of a "who holds the rights today" than a pricing issue. After all, there are a lot of titles from Konami, Namco, Capcom and Squaresoft that must have been a good deal more expensive than "Kung Fu" (developed by Irem, published by Nintendo). I don't know who owned the rights to the NES SKUs back in the 80s, but I'm pretty sure "Final Fantasy", "Mega Man", "Pac-Man", "Contra" and all the others are back with their respective owners by now, and these companies certainly wouldn't just let Nintendo use them for free.

@PacerDawn: The visuals ARE upscaled here and look great (for what they are) from any distance - the device connects to the TV via HDMI.

PatrickRes9 01-11-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2468696)
Why do you think I am Jim Sterling? Also: Do you think that picture paints a good image of the NES Classic or are you being facetious? If the former... ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND THAT LOOKS ATROCIOUS!

If you like this thing and its lack of a proper included power adapter, fine--knock yourselves out. Excuse me while I spend my money on something else. Like hookers... and blow.

The image is absurd, and paints the exact opposite image I think Nintendo would want to paint. It makes playing the Mini look like a nightmare in first year parenting or something. But I don't care what kind of image the picture paints because I'm not defending Nintendo or any of their design choices.

I was so confident that the short cables in conjunction with having to use the reset button meant Nintendo specifically designed the console to be next to you, perhaps on a coffee table, because no other reason at all could possibly make sense to me as to why they would do short controllers + use reset button, that without even having seen the console, I completely assumed that it being a coffee table console was the ONLY possible explanation, and wanted to use an image that showed the console away from the TV to illustrate this point.

I was actually completely wrong apparently, as scherge says you can not get it away from your TV with the stock components, which means I have no idea what Nintendo was thinking, and in a very Nintendo like move, they did something at random, that makes little sense beyond whatever was going on in their brains during their staff meetings.

On being Jim Sterling...I don't know. I just have this feeling. I feel like there is a fairly high likelyhood of you being Jim Sterling. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's just the tone I pick up from you. It's Jim Sterling. I actually like the Jimquisition Show. I think he's objective, goes after all dumb ideas equally, and makes pretty strong points. The outfit is a little over the top, but hey, everyone's different.

Scherge 01-11-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2468721)
On being Jim Sterling...I don't know. I just have this feeling. I feel like there is a fairly high likelyhood of you being Jim Sterling. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's just the tone I pick up from you. It's Jim Sterling. I actually like the Jimquisition Show. I think he's objective, goes after all dumb ideas equally, and makes pretty strong points. The outfit is a little over the top, but hey, everyone's different.

Really? I don't see a lot of similarities. They may both be assholes, but at least Rommel's funny. Oh, and he's OUR asshole. That makes him more interesting by default. ;)

SpectralThundr 01-11-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkumaATR (Post 2468717)
Remember, third-party licensing was almost definitely a factor in what games they were able to include (they prob. had to come to agreements on licensing costs for some of these games -- maybe the Kung Fu guys (Data East?) wanted more bank than Nintendo was willing to throw their way. Who knows.

Data East went under years ago, their remaining IP is split between a company called G-Mode and a shell corporation called Takutoron Corporation maintained by Data East founder Tetsuo Fukuda who's sued Nintendo in the past but the cases were thrown out of court.

JazGalaxy 01-11-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2468716)
You responded directly to a quotation from me. ...Oh my goodness, do you not even know what you're doing?

The part where I respond to the quotation from you is the part where I CLEARLY comment on your words. It's pretty evident because I use your own words in my post. Then I transition into my own opinion.

There are things called paragraph breaks. They are used to signal a transition in ideas and a break in commentary on a specific subject.

ElektroDragon 01-11-2017 08:57 PM

Sweeet! Now gotta buy one before Nintendo locks out the hack on newer units.

vallor 01-11-2017 10:26 PM

I liked this better when it was called MAME and ran a bunch more ROMs. Granted the formfactor is cute if you only care about skin deep.

ElektroDragon 01-12-2017 11:41 AM

Holy shit that babay is USING THE FORCE to control what his parents see on screen!

Rommel 01-13-2017 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2468791)
The part where I respond to the quotation from you is the part where I CLEARLY comment on your words. It's pretty evident because I use your own words in my post. Then I transition into my own opinion.

There are things called paragraph breaks. They are used to signal a transition in ideas and a break in commentary on a specific subject.

And note that multiple paragraphs within a post are usually each on a the same subject. Example, your last post you moron.

JazGalaxy 01-13-2017 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2469059)
And note that multiple paragraphs within a post are usually each on a the same subject. Example, your last post you moron.

lol

WHAT?

Is this your weird performance art gibbering again? Because that's not a rule, nor is it a common occurrence.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 AM.