Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ben Affleck Confirms He Will Direct The Batman, Says He's "Working on it" #Batman (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242395)

Emabulator 01-10-2017 09:13 AM

Ben Affleck Confirms He Will Direct The Batman, Says He's "Working on it" #Batman

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:

Ben Affleck has confirmed that he will direct the standalone Batman movie, and that the script is still being worked on. There have been recent rumours that the film's production may have moved back, and that Affleck might not even direct, but he has now stated that he will definitely helm the movie.

Appearing on Jimmy Kimmel Live! to promote his new movie Live By Night, Affleck said: "I'm going to direct the next Batman. We're working on it. It's one of those things that's really frustrating because like Live by Night took me a year-and-a-half to write it and get it ready. And I worked really hard. It's just nobody gave a s**t! Nobody was like, 'Where's Live by Night?'

"But with Batman I keep on getting, 'Where's the f**king Batman?!' And I'm like, 'Whoa, I'm working! Give me a second!'"

Evil Avatar 01-10-2017 09:15 AM

Na Na Na Na Na, Batfleck!

Terran 01-10-2017 10:10 AM

Really enjoyed the Accountant. A bit like a John Wick thing going there. Fun film. Affleck is actually a pretty talented guy.

Chief Smash 01-10-2017 10:30 AM

Okay this might sound stupid but he needs to stop letting his mouth hang open. It makes Batman look kind of stupid.
http://i.imgur.com/XupnD23.png
Otherwise I think he's the best Batman we've had.

Anemone 01-10-2017 11:17 AM

Will this nightmare never end. I'm convinced Affleck will never make a classic Batman film. He does not have it in him.

Booda 01-10-2017 11:46 AM

The only two films I've ever enjoyed Affleck being involved in were Mallrats & Gone Girl. Other than that, I personally find him extremely overrated.

Chimpbot 01-10-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2468605)
Okay this might sound stupid but he needs to stop letting his mouth hang open. It makes Batman look kind of stupid.

Yeah, because Christian Bale certainly didn't walk around like a mouth-breather during his last two Batman films...

http://i.imgur.com/Y3sPn8cm.png

http://i.imgur.com/YoSjaxDl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/71bNAHyl.jpg

Nope. Not at all.

VenomUSMC 01-10-2017 02:48 PM

Chief didn't say that Bale didn't do the same; he merely said he thought Affleck should stop doing it.

I do agree with Chief that Affleck is the best Batman portrayed on the big screen thus far.

Chimpbot 01-10-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VenomUSMC (Post 2468637)
Chief didn't say that Bale didn't do the same; he merely said he thought Affleck should stop doing it.

Perhaps I jumped the gun, primarily because most criticism of Affleck's portrayal is immediately followed up with some hurrdurr statement about Bale being teh bezt Batmans evar.

I hardly noticed any Batfleck mouthbreathing. Bale's mouthbreathing, on the other hand, became increasingly distracting throughout TDK and TDKR; between the ridiculous voice and the slack-jawed breathing, I stopped being able to take this version of the character seriously years ago.

Quote:

I do agree with Chief that Affleck is the best Batman portrayed on the big screen thus far.
I'd never disagree with this sentiment. He's easily my favorite and he clearly gives a shit about the role. Hell, I walked out of BvS excited for Suicide Squad...purely for the Batman cameo. I didn't care about the rest of the movie; I just wanted to see more of this version of Batman.

I'm anxiously awaiting The Batman.

VenomUSMC 01-10-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2468641)
I'd never disagree with this sentiment. He's easily my favorite and he clearly gives a shit about the role.

Yeah, I was just giving my 2 cents regarding Affleck's Batman. I agree that he seems to actually care about the role. I have high hopes for the standalone Batman film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2468641)
I hardly noticed any Batfleck mouthbreathing. Bale's mouthbreathing, on the other hand, became increasingly distracting throughout TDK and TDKR; between the ridiculous voice and the slack-jawed breathing, I stopped being able to take this version of the character seriously years ago.

I noticed it in both, but wasn't really bothered by either version doing it. I wonder if the cowl makes it a little difficult for the actor to breathe through their nose or something.

Anemone 01-10-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

I agree that he seems to actually care about the role.
And Silicon Knights cared about Too Human, didn't stop it from bombing.

Chimpbot 01-10-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2468644)

Shouldn't you get back to trying to have sex with your Bloodborne disc?

VenomUSMC 01-10-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2468644)

Affleck's take on Batman has already been seen, with the character obviously being subject to his input in BVS. You've personally posted about Affleck's influence on the current portrayal of Batman. I'm not sure why you're so up in arms over Affleck. Did he promise you a reach around and not deliver or something?

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2371447)
I will say however, fuck Ben Affleck as batman, that ruins the whole damn movie already. The only possible worse casting of batman from my perspective would be James goddamn Franco--I'd definitely skip the movie then. As things stand it's already on the edge, and put me down as hating the Affleck casting permanently. He's got a maaaajor bar to jump to come anywhere near past batmans, and I can't imagine him pulling it off. In no way shape or form should a pretty boy with no edge be cast as batman, ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2240003)
Affleck is a girlyman, wtf Snyder?

First batman movie to flop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2428323)
I gave it [BVS] a 7.9/10, with points lost for casting Affleck.

Points lost for casting Affleck. Of course, then you said this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2429075)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2429019)
He [Affleck] did a great job as both Bruce Wayne and Batman.

As much as I hate to admit it, he did. Credit where credit is due.

Yes, you lowered the score you awarded the film because they cast an actor whom you agreed did a great job as both Bruce Wayne and Batman.

I'm not sure I've witnessed someone so upset over a performance that they viewed as great.

Anemone 01-10-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2468651)
Shouldn't you get back to trying to have sex with your Bloodborne disc?

That's cute, do you have any other such amusing Bloodborne anecdotes? I honestly find it amusing that you have latched onto that as your thing that you want to keep harping on as if anyone cared except you.

Anemone 01-10-2017 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VenomUSMC (Post 2468657)
I'm not sure I've witnessed someone so upset over a performance that they viewed as great.

It should be saying something that I gave him props for that even though I was so predisposed to not want to see him portray Batman.

I still don't want to see him portray Batman further, despite him being a bright-spot in that otherwise odd movie.

And I have said before that he skated in that film because the focus was not on him, and I do not think he will be able to pull off a Batman-centric movie where he has to carry the whole film.

GL Affleck, I hope you fail. I still think pretty boys should not play Batman.

Christian Bale played the best Batman ever, IMO, as batman. Affleck probably plays Bruce Wayne better than Bale did or could, but in pure batman terms I would give it to Bale. Plus those plots will never be equalled, just superior films all around to anything Affleck is likely to produce.

VenomUSMC 01-10-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2468660)
It should be saying something that I gave him props for that even though I was so predisposed to not want to see him portray Batman.

If you were anything approaching consistent, it would.

Quote:

I still don't want to see him portray Batman further, despite him being a bright-spot in that otherwise odd movie.

So, you took points away from your personal score for the film because the so-called "bright-spot" was played by someone you dislike.

Quote:

And I have said before that he skated in that film because the focus was not on him, and I do not think he will be able to pull off a Batman-centric movie where he has to carry the whole film.

As quoted, you also stated a belief that he could never pull off playing the role at all. As I've told you before, time will tell.

Quote:

"I think Affleck was a great Batman but shouldn't play Batman."

Did Affleck pull a fast one on you Superman-style?

Quote:

Christian Bale played the best Batman ever, IMO, as batman. Affleck probably plays Bruce Wayne better than Bale did or could, but in pure batman terms I would give it to Bale. Plus those plots will never be equalled, just superior films all around to anything Affleck is likely to produce.

Nolan's Batman films centered around a Batman trying to give up the mantle. This has been covered. You were unable to even follow the plot offered in the Nolan films that you apparently loved.

Chimpbot 01-10-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2468658)
That's cute, do you have any other such amusing Bloodborne anecdotes? I honestly find it amusing that you have latched onto that as your thing that you want to keep harping on as if anyone cared except you.

Would you rather I instead focus on the fact you're completely clueless, inept and rarely have any legitimate knowledge about any given topic you attempt to discuss?

Chief Smash 01-10-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2468636)
Yeah, because Christian Bale certainly didn't walk around like a mouth-breather during his last two Batman films...

Nope. Not at all.

What? No, I really like Affleck as Batman. But he's always left his mouth hanging open. It's just something he does and it makes Batman look silly at times. As for Bale, I really liked those movies and I like Bale as an actor. But I have to admit that he really didn't deliver on the role at all as far as my tastes go. I thought he was going to be a perfect Batman and he wasn't very good. It was all of the surrounding players that I liked.

I was just nitpicking a bit. I loved the whole "Do you bleed?" scene in BvS and the one tiny detail that bothered me was that Batman had his mouth hanging open at the time. It somehow makes him look less intimidating. Still, that scene really worked for me.

Anenome 01-10-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2468665)
Would you rather I instead focus on the fact you're completely clueless, inept and rarely have any legitimate knowledge about any given topic you attempt to discuss?

Yes, because that would make you look even more ridiculous. Please do.

ashikenshin 01-10-2017 08:44 PM

Good, he is a very talented director and actor. His portrayal of Batman was my favorite by far.

UttiniDaKilrJawa 01-10-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Nope. Not at all.

Has anyone considered that the open mouth thing might not be so much 'bad acting' as it is a desire to not suffocate. I don't think any of those cowls have nose holes.

excalibur1814 01-11-2017 12:45 AM

Playing Batman:

Michael Keaton - Yes
Val Kilmer - No
George Clooney - HECK no
Christina Bale - No (Far too much Bruce Wayne time)
Ben Affleck - Yes (As we finally get to see some damn hard action)

Channing Tatum - No
Dwayne Johnson - No
Vin Diesel - No

Remember... It could be worse!

excalibur1814 01-11-2017 12:46 AM

P.s. Batman SHOULD be played by a pretty boy as that's who Batman is. Pretty, built from trauma, dresses in a black costume to beat people up. Seems to fit and he's been a womaniser since day one.

Mojopin 01-11-2017 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2468605)

I dunno, I really liked Michael Keaton as both Batman and Bruce Wayne. He's definitely second or third. You are right about the mouth thing too, never noticed until you pointed it out though. ;P

Chief Smash 01-11-2017 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UttiniDaKilrJawa (Post 2468692)
Has anyone considered that the open mouth thing might not be so much 'bad acting' as it is a desire to not suffocate. I don't think any of those cowls have nose holes.

Yeah I thought that too and I'm sure there's something to it but I've noticed that Ben Affleck generally lets his mouth hang open sometimes. I don't know why I've noticed it but I have. Maybe I was trying to poke holes in him since my wife always seemed sweet on the guy. :D

Anemone 01-11-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2468703)
P.s. Batman SHOULD be played by a pretty boy as that's who Batman is. Pretty, built from trauma, dresses in a black costume to beat people up. Seems to fit and he's been a womaniser since day one.

I disagree. He's long been portrayed as a dark, troubled figure haunted by his parents' murder. He may party now and then to maintain the illusion of Bruce Wayne, but his true identity is as the batman, an avatar of justice. The pretty boy demeanor is little more than a mask, not who he really is.

I do not believe Affleck has the ability to bring out that darker streak within him in the way Bale could. Bale in real life is a figure of incredible determination, much like Batman is portrayed in fiction.

Affleck has led a charmed life and is apparently sick of making chick flicks.

Also Argo sucked, and I consider him pretentious for both directing and starring in these movies, and in Argo too.

VenomUSMC 01-11-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2468770)
I disagree. He's long been portrayed as a dark, troubled figure haunted by his parents' murder. He may party now and then to maintain the illusion of Bruce Wayne, but his true identity is as the batman, an avatar of justice. The pretty boy demeanor is little more than a mask, not who he really is.

I do not believe Affleck has the ability to bring out that darker streak within him in the way Bale could. Bale in real life is a figure of incredible determination, much like Batman is portrayed in fiction.

Also Argo sucked, and I consider him pretentious for both directing and starring in these movies, and in Argo too.

It really seems to me this all revolves around your personal hatred for Affleck rather than Affleck's actual performance. It's odd that you love the Nolan version of Batman, with this "Bruce Wayne is just a mask!" argument, considering the series ended with Wayne apparently electing to be a "regular person," running off with Catwoman, and shedding the Batman persona.

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2468703)

I agree. I ultimately wasn't a fan of Batman/Wayne from the Nolan series (I was initially) because of how they turned Bruce into a recluse, allowing Wayne Enterprise to be on the edge of failure and abandoning all the good it was doing for Gotham, as he also hung-up the cowl until a chick sparked his interest.

Anemone 01-11-2017 04:53 PM

I don't really have anything against Affleck as a person, I just don't think he's right for the part of batman. That shouldn't be so hard to understand, even for you.

The only actor I really dislike personally in that one dude, James Franco, and that merely on the basis of his claim to have been taking 24 units of upper division college courses while filming three movies, which is not possible.

It later came out that he was literally sleeping through his classes and his professors were being pressured to pass him with high marks anyway. I consider that a vindication.

VenomUSMC 01-11-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2468782)
I don't really have anything against Affleck as a person, I just don't think he's right for the part of batman. That shouldn't be so hard to understand, even for you.

Try to understand this: You stated that Affleck did "a great job" after seeing him play Batman in BvS. Therefore, you're arguing that someone who did "a great job" isn't right for the role. You don't see the issue with your stance there? Considering you can't figure how the Nolan Batman films played out, I shouldn't expect you to be able to understand how silly your stance is. I mean, you're still holding the false idea that "Bruce Wayne was the mask" for the Christopher Nolan films, which featured Bruce choosing to stop being Batman in order to run away with Catwoman; as he voluntarily handed off the mantle to a cop without a tenth of his training to continue being Batman.

Do you not understand how silly it is for you to moan and groan of Affleck currently being cast as Batman after you let it slip you felt he did "a great job" as the character?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2468782)
The only actor I really dislike personally in that one dude, James Franco, and that merely on the basis of his claim to have been taking 24 units of upper division college courses while filming three movies, which is not possible.

It later came out that he was literally sleeping through his classes and his professors were being pressured to pass him with high marks anyway. I consider that a vindication.

It really comes off as personal you having something personally against Affleck personally considering you've maintained your complaints about him despite delivering a performance you conceded was "great." This is from this thread:
Quote:

Anenome 01-11-2017 07:58 PM

When I think back on BvS and why I made that remark about his great job, it is specifically in his depiction of Bruce Wayne, which is the Wayniest Wayne we've seen in a long time I think, reminiscent of the old Batman Animated Series Wayne and the old 60's TV show Wayne. He play a good BW in BVS.

I wasn't equally thrilled with his depiction of Batman in BVS, feeling Bale did it better.

I still think that Affleck's depiction of Wayne/Batman was in part saved by the lack of screen time he gets in the movie altogether, and that a Batman-only movie will tend to fall apart under both his direction and depiction of Batman.

Once the movie comes out and we all get a look at it, I will provide a mea culpa if he wows me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with, prior to BVS coming out stating that I don't think Affleck can pull off the role, then giving him props for doing better than I expected after seeing the movie, then stating I don't think he will be equally successfully in a Batman-centric movie that he has to carry with the camera on him for the whole film. You're just trying to create your standard gotcha game with my quotes yet again.

vallor 01-11-2017 08:43 PM

I think Affleck is, with few exceptions, a terrific actor and director. In fact with the exception of that one with J.Lo Gigigigligigi or whatever I can't hardly think of any movies I've disliked; even Daredevil isn't so terrible I can't forgive him especially in light of his excellent work later.

As for his directing work. I can't say I've really been disappointed. The Town, Agro, and especially Gone Baby Gone have all been pretty stellar IMO.

His Batman may have been the best I've seen. That is high praise coming off the fantastic Christian Bale performances in the three Dark Knight movies that gave WB the platform to even proceed with their DC cinematic universe.

People may give Bale shit now but 5 years ago people didn't think he could be topped and certainly not by Affleck.

I wasn't disappointed by BvS, I thought Suicide Squad was decent though I wish I had seen a matinee, I'll be seeing Wonder Woman opening night (gotta support Gal Gadot who I proposed to on Facebook but I haven't heard back from yet), and of course I'll be getting reserved seating for The Batman.

excalibur1814 01-12-2017 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2468770)

I disagree that you disagree with my agreement. We know that he's dark, faced trauma, but my reply was primarily for the person that stated that Bruce Wayne shouldn't be a pretty boy. I disagree as he's always been 'pretty'. As you said that's the mask for his real character.

I DO believe that Ben will be able to get stuff done as, I'm sure, he's been through a lot and probably been to a few low places in his life.

VenomUSMC 01-12-2017 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2468798)
When I think back on BvS and why I made that remark about his great job, it is specifically in his depiction of Bruce Wayne, which is the Wayniest Wayne we've seen in a long time I think, reminiscent of the old Batman Animated Series Wayne and the old 60's TV show Wayne. He play a good BW in BVS.

I wasn't equally thrilled with his depiction of Batman in BVS, feeling Bale did it better.

You directly responded to a quote about Affleck as Wayne and Batman. Here is the quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2429075)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2429019)
He did a great job as both Bruce Wayne and Batman.

As much as I hate to admit it, he did.

I do not believe Affleck's version of Wayne was reminiscent of the old Batman Animated Series Wayne nor the old 1960's TV show Wayne.

You're welcome to continue to hold Bale's Batman on a pedestal; it's a subjective topic, after all.

Quote:

I still think that Affleck's depiction of Wayne/Batman was in part saved by the lack of screen time he gets in the movie altogether, and that a Batman-only movie will tend to fall apart under both his direction and depiction of Batman.

Of course you do.

Quote:

Once the movie comes out and we all get a look at it, I will provide a mea culpa if he wows me.

LOL.

Quote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with, prior to BVS coming out stating that I don't think Affleck can pull off the role, then giving him props for doing better than I expected after seeing the movie, then stating I don't think he will be equally successfully in a Batman-centric movie that he has to carry with the camera on him for the whole film. You're just trying to create your standard gotcha game with my quotes yet again.

I didn't state there there was a problem with thinking Affleck was the wrong choice to cast as Batman, believing he may not be able to pull off the role before the movie was released. The problem is, you agreed that he did "a great job" as both Batman and Wayne, but wish to continue along your predetermined position. It's also, to me, not giving someone "props" when you "hate to admit" that they did well, and quickly devolve back into openly wishing them failure.

Your regular contradictions and your vindictive nature have come to the surface once again.

TimeWellWasted 01-12-2017 05:30 AM

Quote:

Nope. Not at all.

Kind of looks like the rubber mask has no nose holes. So they would have to breathe through their months.

Also "Na Na Na Na Na, Batfleck!" Brilliant!