Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Alien Blackout Teased for The Game Awards (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257303)

Evil Avatar 11-27-2018 07:00 AM

Alien Blackout Teased for The Game Awards
 

Quote:

There are rumblings in the world of Alien video games, with a new title looking set for an announcement at The Game Awards in December.

Last week a 20th Century Fox trademark for an unannounced video game called Alien: Blackout was spotted.

This trademark tallies with a Twitter tease from The Game Awards chief Geoff Keighley, who posted an image including the words "WORLDS WILL CHANGE" in a font that looks a lot like the Weyland-Yutani font from the films. Weyland-Yutani, of course, is the Alien universe's evil corporation that wants to profit from the xenomorphs, rather than nuke them from orbit.

So, who could be developing Alien: Blackout, and what kind of game is it? Well, it very much looks like it's the work of a US studio called Cold Iron, which was bought by 20th Century Fox subsidiary FoxNext to develop a new Alien game. Cold Iron was founded in 2015 by former members of Cryptic Studios (Neverwinter, City of Heroes).

According to Cold Iron's website, its Alien game is a new PC and console shooter. There's also a whiff of Destiny about the project. Here's what FoxNext's president of studios Aaron Loeb said in a press release issued back in January 2018:

"I am a personal fan of Cold Iron's previous work and all of us at FoxNext Games are thrilled to be working with them as they create an action-packed persistent world, steeped in the mysteries of this beloved Alien universe."

The Game Awards is set to take place on 6th December, or for us poor Brits, very early 7th December. That's not a surprise. Announcements mostly come at night... mostly.
Eurogamer.

Juan 11-27-2018 07:59 AM

The franchise is perhaps irreparably damaged by Colonial Marines, Prometheus and Covenant. Certainly no one will have high hopes for anything Alien for a long time.

Evil Avatar 11-27-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2524969)
The franchise is perhaps irreparably damaged by Colonial Marines, Prometheus and Covenant. Certainly no one will have high hopes for anything Alien for a long time.

You kinda forgot that Alien Isolation was a big hit.

Scherge 11-27-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2524970)
You kinda forgot that Alien Isolation was a big hit.

"Alien: Isolation" was NOT a big hit, at least not commercially. I still expected a successor to Isolation's cliffhanger ending rather than "Alien 76", which this one sounds like...

wunshot 11-27-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2524969)
The franchise is perhaps irreparably damaged by Colonial Marines, Prometheus and Covenant. Certainly no one will have high hopes for anything Alien for a long time.

Prometheus and Covenant were awesome movies in my book. I know not everyone liked them, but I was more than satisfied with both of them.

ministryofwrath 11-27-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2524985)
Prometheus and Covenant were awesome movies in my book. I know not everyone liked them, but I was more than satisfied with both of them.

I like them as movies, HATE them as alien movies for what they did to the core materials.


I believe this game will sadly mark the last hope for anything Aliens related.



I pray for a AVP game that will never come, the cell phone game was a big enough hit *you have a phone right?* but I need a real AVP game.

Ghost recon gave me a little taste of what they could do, too bad they wouldn't pump out a AVP game.


GTFO is almost like a aliens game done in the left 4 dead style, if only someone put 2 and 2 together and made a coop shooter, that was story rich and objective rich, or even a series of stories based on the comics for you to play out in coop.

timmyd 11-27-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2524985)
Prometheus and Covenant were awesome movies in my book. I know not everyone liked them, but I was more than satisfied with both of them.

Yeah kind of like a sci fi version of "Now for something completely different"

NACIONAL 11-27-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2524985)
Prometheus and Covenant were awesome movies in my book. I know not everyone liked them, but I was more than satisfied with both of them.

I hated them as regular movies, even more as Alien moviues...

everyone on those films was a moron. They were supposed to be scientists. Well they collected the dumbest scientists in history.

Chimpbot 11-27-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2524970)
You kinda forgot that Alien Isolation was a big hit.

Yeah...it was far from a hit. It was pretty well-received by critics and gamers alike, but it didn't sell well at all. The proposed sequel was shelved pretty quickly. While it is getting a comic book sequel early next year...it's the sort of support that always screams, "We didn't want to commit any more money to this, so here's the rest of the story in a cheap, tie-in comic."

karaliusbronius 11-27-2018 02:27 PM

I'm okay with Destiny 2 adding a new planet that has Aliens on it :)

Wizzkidd 11-27-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2524985)
Prometheus and Covenant were awesome movies in my book. I know not everyone liked them, but I was more than satisfied with both of them.

Exactly. To me, the franchise is as awesome as ever due to Prometheus and Covenant. Bandwagon haters don't effect me. I rewatch them regularly.

brandonjclark 11-27-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzkidd (Post 2525005)
Exactly. To me, the franchise is as awesome as ever due to Prometheus and Covenant. Bandwagon haters don't effect me. I rewatch them regularly.

I've yet to see Covenant but I can't help but love the modern take in Prometheus.

walstib 11-27-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2524985)
Prometheus and Covenant were awesome movies in my book. I know not everyone liked them, but I was more than satisfied with both of them.

they were "ok". not great, not horrible, just "ok". i consider Alien on the edge of ruin in terms of mythos. lots of unanswered questions from those movies and opportunities to expand. for that i appreciate them. still love the original concept for Alien 3 by the way. that would have been awesome!

as for another game that is an online Destiny like game: don't care.

Mad Max RW 11-27-2018 05:40 PM

Prometheus/Alien Covenant is the answer to a question nobody asked. But more importantly the overall drop in quality from the original Alien to now is so dramatic you'd think it was deliberate. There is NOTHING memorable about either of them except for how nonsensical and stupid they are. Horribly written and acted characters in Friday the 13th scenarios with the balls to treat the audience like idiots every step of the way. I despise Fox for how they mishandled the franchise and letting a senile lunatic 30 years past his prime take the helm. I still believe the only way to bring life back into the franchise is some kind of anthology series on Netflix where every episode is a standalone story with a different director. (Rumor is they are exploring exactly this idea.)

About Alien Blackout, there is little chance the game will be revealed next month. Maybe a title card and that's it. I remember they only started development in early 2018. There isn't much to show.

Evil Avatar 11-27-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2525008)
I've yet to see Covenant but I can't help but love the modern take in Prometheus.

It's not bad, but it has the drag of the middle movie in a trilogy.

Juan 11-28-2018 02:01 AM

What did you guys like about Covenant? The nonsensical plot, the cardboard cutout characters, the terrible cgi Alien or the SJW undertones? It may actually be worse than Prometheus and that is saying something.

You cannot apply any level of critical thinking to either of those movies or they simply do not work. The only way you can enjoy either of them is to simply barely pay attention and let them wash over you. However by doing this other factors will play into how much you rate the movie, like what you had for lunch that day.

Wizzkidd 11-28-2018 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2525023)
What did you guys like about Covenant? The nonsensical plot, the cardboard cutout characters, the terrible cgi Alien or the SJW undertones? It may actually be worse than Prometheus and that is saying something.

You cannot apply any level of critical thinking to either of those movies or they simply do not work. The only way you can enjoy either of them is to simply barely pay attention and let them wash over you. However by doing this other factors will play into how much you rate the movie, like what you had for lunch that day.

Dude, to actually get into it would be a mini novel in itself, or a long podcast. I can't spend the time here in a comment. Yes, those movies have issues, like literally every film ever. But none of the issues detract from the grandiose beauty, scale, imagination, and terror lurking around ever corner. Add David to that mix, connect it to Alien, my personal favorite film, and you have a massive scope that has eons of fiction to explore.

Or we can whine that they weren't linear, mediocre James Cameron clones, which mass audiences would've eaten like maggots, but intelligent film fans would've ignored. It's rare to get big budget films like Prometheus and Covenant. The reason is most audiences want generic, mediocre, simple-minded Dwayne Johnson films, not exploratory yet introspective horror films.


I've already gone further than I wanted, this is just not the place to deeply debate it. But your lack of understanding is a handicap on your part, not a cancer on mine; as years upon years of thoughtful introspection and debate can guarantee. However, the most important thing to remember is that you are always entitled to your opinion. Please like what you like, and hate what you hate. Free thought is the most important thing on the planet. I love that you dislike them. You keep debate like this alive.

NACIONAL 11-28-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzkidd (Post 2525030)
. But none of the issues detract from the grandiose beauty, scale, imagination, and terror lurking around ever corner. Add David to that mix, connect it to Alien, my personal favorite film, and you have a massive scope that has eons of fiction to explore.

Or we can whine that they weren't linear, mediocre James Cameron clones, which mass audiences would've eaten like maggots, but intelligent film fans would've ignored. It's rare to get big budget films like Prometheus and Covenant. .

I have seen those movies and I never saw what the hell are you talking about. Of course it has connections to the originals, (It HAD to have them).. but the movies could be much much better without insulting our intelligence.

Wizzkidd 11-28-2018 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NACIONAL (Post 2525033)
I have seen those movies and I never saw what the hell are you talking about. Of course it has connections to the originals, (It HAD to have them).. but the movies could be much much better without insulting our intelligence.

To be fair I don't see what the hell you are talking about either. I put on Prometheus after talking about and it only reaffirms again how great these films are. I will not insult anyone's intelligence, but just say that these film are damn amazing and beautiful. If you don't like them what can I say? I'm not paid to convince you otherwise. Enjoy what you like.

wunshot 11-28-2018 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzkidd (Post 2525036)
To be fair I don't see what the hell you are talking about either. I put on Prometheus after talking about and it only reaffirms again how great these films are. I will not insult anyone's intelligence, but just say that these film are damn amazing and beautiful. If you don't like them what can I say? I'm not paid to convince you otherwise. Enjoy what you like.

I agree, and what is nice about films (art) is we don't all have to like the same things. I'm just hoping that the $240 mil take vs the $90 mil budget would be enough for them to keep going. I doubt the math works out in my favor, but nevertheless, I enjoyed the movies.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 AM.