Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Next Xbox Already in Production? (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169281)

randir14 05-07-2012 12:02 AM

Next Xbox Already in Production?

IGN is reporting that Microsoft's next console may already be in production.

Quote:

The next Xbox console is apparently in the manufacturing stages. According to an IGN source, assembly of the next-generation Xbox hardware started recently at the Austin, Texas branch of Flextronics. This is the same electronics company currently assembling Xbox 360 hardware, and is the manufacturer of the original Xbox.

Prior to reaching the manufacturing stage, Flextronics created a new testing group separate from the rest of the company. This team was solely dedicated to comprehensive marketing, software, and hardware tests of the next Xbox. With that activity concluded, Flextronics started building the hardware -- but that doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll see the Durango soon.
Read more

Coldeath 05-07-2012 12:16 AM

i am going to have to see what this thing is going to offer before i get excited.

ElektroDragon 05-07-2012 12:38 AM

Either they will surprise us at E3, or not say anything at E3 and just surprise everyone in the fall, or this rumor is false. There is no way they would be building it already if its not going to launch until next year. It just doesn't happen.

vallor 05-07-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2118031)
Either they will surprise us at E3, or not say anything at E3 and just surprise everyone in the fall, or this rumor is false. There is no way they would be building it already if its not going to launch until next year. It just doesn't happen.

Prototype dev kits maybe? They have to have representitve hardware in the dev's hands soon; games don't just jump into the packaging already made and tested.

Anenome 05-07-2012 01:10 AM

Lots of systems launched with games built in literally 6 months. Could the X720 launch this year? Would be a crunch, but they made it happen with the 360.

BeachGaara 05-07-2012 02:29 AM

And that didn't come across as a system poorly executed and forced out the door...

Anenome 05-07-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeachGaara (Post 2118050)
And that didn't come across as a system poorly executed and forced out the door...

Granted. Yet, still a successful system--amazingly, I know.

I can say one thing. Of all the systems next gen, you can bet your bottom dollar that the X720 will be the absolute most reliable system ever created in the history of video gaming. It's going to surpass Nintendo-quality. Because of what it cost them to have 360s failing left and right. They say a problem doesn't get fixed until it squeaks. The 360 squeaked for hundreds of millions of dollars. They'll be able to justify spending perhaps even $100m just getting the hardware perfectly hard-tested. Bet on it. Bet on it. I'm talking sub 1% failure rates. Even Nintendo's has like a 2% failure rate.

sai tyrus 05-07-2012 03:44 AM

Yeah, I literally had over 20 360s RRoD on me. And that's in different setups at three different locations over the years. Made me a little bitter... :o

Radiozo 05-07-2012 03:46 AM

Probably dev units or prototypes. Expect release next holiday season.

Apex 05-07-2012 03:51 AM

dev kits have been around for a little while now, so these must be retail units.

Cygnus 05-07-2012 05:20 AM

I hope this is true, but I doubt it. Hardware costs are too high and MS is still selling 360s well.

Taiso 05-07-2012 05:32 AM

Not surprising at all, considering the recent ruling in Germany in Motorola's favor over Microsoft. Microsoft's looking to make sure they're ready for any eventuality in this week's ruling in the US, methinks.

SaintBlitzkrieg 05-07-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sai tyrus (Post 2118066)
Yeah, I literally had over 20 360s RRoD on me. And that's in different setups at three different locations over the years. Made me a little bitter... :o

My uncle to this day still uses his launch day 360. Insanity

Cygnus 05-07-2012 05:57 AM

My launch 360 recently bit the dust. Note that it did get RROD service from MS years ago

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg (Post 2118083)

Ozena 05-07-2012 06:06 AM

I wish my current 360 would bite it - it's a launch model with no HDMI port and it sounds like a jetplane. Had to send it in twice already, but I kinda want to upgrade to a slim :p

On topic though, would they manufacture now and release a short time after announcement? I guess the shock to the market might drum up a few sales but it's a very Apple-ish move.

EL CABONG 05-07-2012 06:24 AM

I doubt this rumor. I do want a new XBOX. I would love a console to come out shortly after E3 but I doubt it.

I haven t seen much in Next Gen games previews. I know some teams are working on them but haven t seen much coverage or screen shots of them. So my guess would be games for the next gen systems(not counting Wii U) are still a ways off.

BeardedSonOfNel 05-07-2012 06:32 AM

If this is true, and the next Xbox is in production...

If I was Microsoft I'd release it simultaneously with Windows 8 this fall. Then during the release demo how each device (PC/pad, Phone, and Xbox) can interact with one another and have the same ecosystem.

Rommel 05-07-2012 07:33 AM

If it were in production, it would be in China at Foxconn. That is not nearly as easy to hide as the prototype dev work done at Flextronics.

Ultravires 05-07-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel (Post 2118095)
If this is true, and the next Xbox is in production...

If I was Microsoft I'd release it simultaneously with Windows 8 this fall. Then during the release demo how each device (PC/pad, Phone, and Xbox) can interact with one another and have the same ecosystem.

Don't think that would be a wise move to launch both products at the same time, just the release of one major product takes a lot of money, man power and properly executed for it to be successful. A new console would be very expensive at least $400-600 and then they would expect people to pay another substantial amount to get a new device with windows 8 on it. No way the majority could afford both. Plus it would be a waste of advertising money to be marketing both products at the same time because the new 360 would most likely over shadow the windows 8 release.

sai tyrus 05-07-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg (Post 2118083)

Yup. There are some that were lucky. Me, I wish I had those odds with the lottery.