Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Intel Will Reveal 8th Generation CPUs This Month; Sooner Than Expected (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247601)

Emabulator 08-12-2017 12:28 PM

Intel Will Reveal 8th Generation CPUs This Month; Sooner Than Expected

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:

Intel's 7th-generation CPUs (Kaby Lake) released in January this year, about 17 months after the preceding generation (Skylake)--a usual transition in the CPU market. However, Intel is ready to reveal its 8th-generation on August 21. And while we don't know of the release window quite yet, this announcement comes much sooner than what we'd expect.

The Kaby Lake processor family was announced this time last year and released five months later. If this next generation (Coffee Lake) follows suit, we could have new Intel chips in early 2018. This also means that Kaby Lake would be supplanted just 12 months after its launch; Intel CPU generations typically run an 18-month cycle.

There's reason to believe that the recent competition from AMD's Ryzen CPU family--which began its roll out in March this year-- is impacting what we see from Intel. AMD has been able to offer comparable gaming performance, more CPU cores for better multitasking and productivity, and competitive pricing.

vallor 08-12-2017 01:13 PM

AKA "If you haven't upgraded your CPU for 4 years we hope and pray this media blitz will convince you now is the time."

The only reason I upgrade CPU these days is if I'm lazy to upgrade multiple pieces at one time.

brandonjclark 08-12-2017 03:02 PM

For all the naysayers (Ben), Intel wouldn't be doing this rushed launch if AMD weren't making hay.

Clancy 08-12-2017 06:40 PM

And these require a new socket/mobo as well...

What a shocker!

AM4 has a lifespan of 5-6 years. They already said Zen2 & Zen 3 will work on the same socket. Same with ThreadRipper's socket.

ministryofwrath 08-12-2017 08:19 PM

I was about to blow 3k on a gaming laptop.

with this announcement, I'm questioning if I should buy a new laptop or not, I'm painfully in need of a new gaming laptop.

I was going for MSI Titan, but with the 8th gen here, I know it's only a matter of time before they toss this baby in.

brandonjclark 08-12-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ministryofwrath (Post 2490388)
I was about to blow 3k on a gaming laptop.

with this announcement, I'm questioning if I should buy a new laptop or not, I'm painfully in need of a new gaming laptop.

I was going for MSI Titan, but with the 8th gen here, I know it's only a matter of time before they toss this baby in.

I think Intel will knock this out of the park. They have to in order to maintain a lead.

Wait. It's a short time and it will probably be worth it.

karaliusbronius 08-13-2017 01:38 AM

Sweet, I'll wait til spring. That'll give some time for me to save up for some better monitors too.

BenSkywlkr 08-13-2017 02:03 AM

Quote:

For all the naysayers (Ben)
I have maintained one very simple point- Intel is still the best choice for gaming in the PC space. This doesn't do anything to change that, unless they regress in gaming performance or performance per dollar under gaming.

If this comes remotely close to as crappy as Ryzen is for gaming, believe me I'd take them to task for it :D

wildcard 08-13-2017 05:52 AM

Please give me a reason to upgrade my 2500k. I want more than 4 cores, at the very least I can hope used 5820s or 6800s get cheaper.

Methos 08-13-2017 06:55 AM

Looks at his i7-965X.. You're holding up well buddy.

vallor 08-13-2017 04:34 PM

Anyone who thinks this is because Intel is on the ropes is deluded. This is Intel sucking out the tiny wisps of oxygen they accidentally let into the vacuum.

It hurts them a little but keeps AMD at the kids table.

shadow763 08-13-2017 04:52 PM

I only want AMD to be competitive because INTEL are kind of assholes with their pricing and practices of disabling cores.

vallor 08-13-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2490408)
I only want AMD to be competitive because INTEL are kind of assholes with their pricing and practices of disabling cores.

10000% agree. AMD is getting close but still a little too far off. I was looking forward to Ryzen until the benchmarks came out. Then came the gaming benchmarks. I'd be willing to risk compatibility for on-par or sometimes better performance as the initial benches showed but not for subpar gaming performance.

Of course I also have a feeling Intel, with all their ill-gotten gains, has a whole bunch of advancements in their back pocket they can roll out just to knock AMD down if it looks like AMD may actually be competitive again.

rubbishfoo 08-14-2017 07:29 AM

I bought my i7 2600k in June of 2011 & it retailed for $314.99.

The same CPU on Amazon today is $279.99. That's some staying power.

I've been running it at (just shy of) 4Ghz since it's inception with zero instability.

I'd love a new system, but it's really difficult to justify when this thing is still chewing up what I throw at it. I have no doubts the current gen is faster & more efficient, but I have no complaints.

I also hope that AMD catches up with Intel - they need some competition & it's good for the industry.

GinRummy 08-16-2017 10:03 AM

One year ago I upgraded my older i3 cpu with the best that would fit into my current motherboard, which is an i5-3570k that I got used for $139.98 on Amazon. It's just $5 cheaper right now. Works great for new games still and I have no regrets.