Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Devotion, Removed From Steam Amidst Winnie The Pooh Controversy (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258988)

BeardedSonOfNel 02-26-2019 05:42 AM

Devotion, Removed From Steam Amidst Winnie The Pooh Controversy
 

Via Gamespot
Quote:

According to PC Gamer, Devotion launched to positive reviews. However, the Taiwanese first-person horror game came under fire when a piece of in-game art that seems to mock Chinese president Xi Jinping was discovered. The art compares the president to Winnie the Pooh, a comparison the Chinese government frequently objects to. Red Candle Games issued an initial apology--which implied the image was simply a placeholder--but after Devotion came under heavy review bombing, the developer followed up with a longer, more comprehensive apology.

"When the art material was made, each teammate was busy working on one's own tasks while chasing the deadline," Red Candle Games wrote in the second apology. "None of the other colleagues were aware of this. It was until we received a private report made by a player on February 21 that we realized what was exactly written on that art material. Upon learning of this, we immediately replaced the art material within an hour."

"We would also like to take this opportunity to reaffirm that Devotion's publisher Indievent and Winking Entertainment did not know about the art material beforehand and were not involved in this incident at all," the developer continued. "Currently our partnership has terminated." Red Candle Games ended the apology with the announcement that Devotion is now removed from Steam China. However, as of writing this article, the game is gone from Steam entirely. Every trailer for the game has been removed from Red Candle Games' YouTube channel as well.

brandonjclark 02-26-2019 06:34 AM

I wonder what Red Candle Games' social credit score is now?

BeardedSonOfNel 02-26-2019 06:59 AM

@brandonjclark That was funny!

GinRummy 02-26-2019 07:59 AM

All this shit over Winnie the fucking Pooh? Jeebus, grow up and take a joke. This is nearly the least offensive thing I could possibly think of... yer idiots.

Chimpbot 02-26-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinRummy (Post 2531573)
All this shit over Winnie the fucking Pooh? Jeebus, grow up and take a joke. This is nearly the least offensive thing I could possibly think of... yer idiots.

It's apparently a big deal in China.

wunshot 02-26-2019 02:09 PM

I can't believe that Steam (the US version) would remove this game in America. Whatever happened to the first amendment?

wunshot 02-26-2019 02:11 PM

BTW, this type of shit is the endgame for the outrage mob and this PC culture we have these days.

Sensei-X 02-26-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2531620)
I can't believe that Steam (the US version) would remove this game in America. Whatever happened to the first amendment?

The company removed it, not Steam. I'm guessing the Chinese government had a little conversation with them that ended with "..or shit will happen" and they quickly decided to just pull the game altogether to cover their ass.

MavenACTG 02-26-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensei-X (Post 2531626)
The company removed it, not Steam. I'm guessing the Chinese government had a little conversation with them that ended with "..or shit will happen" and they quickly decided to just pull the game altogether to cover their ass.

I can't tell what's harder to erase, a poor social credit score from criticizing Dear Leader or those one-offs where a person posts a drunk selfie to Facebook.

I'm thinking devoted Redhats (right-wing authoritarians) would crave for a Trump-like figure to dominate the national discourse, take out anyone disloyal or "UnAmerican" towards Dear Leader or the state, and create an authoritarian state.

SpectralThundr 02-26-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinRummy (Post 2531573)
All this shit over Winnie the fucking Pooh? Jeebus, grow up and take a joke. This is nearly the least offensive thing I could possibly think of... yer idiots.

It's communist China really should anyone be surprised?

Chimpbot 02-26-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2531620)
I can't believe that Steam (the US version) would remove this game in America. Whatever happened to the first amendment?

The First Ammendment wouldn't be applicable. Even if the developer hadn't opted to pull the game from Steam, Steam is a private platform owned by a private company. They can put - or pull - whatever they want on their platform.

AlfredT 02-27-2019 05:51 AM

Everyone is acting like this is some surprise or some SJW leftist thingy...

Nope its just China being China.

I don't know why many people don't understand that despite their government being childish, corrupt and incompetent, the rest of the world's governments generally outdo North American ones for being crazy.

SA - Bans pikachu cuz it sounds like pick a jew.
Thailand - Laissez faire laws, you criticize the king, you go to jail. (if you are lucky, if you are students and the king fails at understanding a satricial play, get ready for his armed paramilitaries and army to rape you to death at university to the actual literal applause of Thai citizens)
Japan - Bans many drugs that are prescription and actually sends people to jail for things like having Vick Inhalers, Sudafed etc.,
Etc etc

Chief Smash 02-27-2019 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfredT (Post 2531671)
Japan - Bans many drugs that are prescription and actually sends people to jail for things like having Vick Inhalers, Sudafed etc.,
Etc etc

I don't necessarily disbelieve the others but this one seems insane to me. I always wanted to go to Japan and I have regular sinus issues. I guess that's a recipe for a bad vacation.

dirtbag 02-27-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2531678)
I don't necessarily disbelieve the others but this one seems insane to me. I always wanted to go to Japan and I have regular sinus issues. I guess that's a recipe for a bad vacation.

I lived in Tokyo for 2 years, and many ‘normal’ medicines were prescription-only. However, there are generally equivalents. Additionally, you can bring in most personal meds with a prescription - just don’t try to have someone mail you a 6-month supply of Ritalin.

Chimpbot 02-27-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2531678)
I don't necessarily disbelieve the others but this one seems insane to me. I always wanted to go to Japan and I have regular sinus issues. I guess that's a recipe for a bad vacation.

They just consider pseudoephedrine to be a controlled substance, so a lot of our decongestants would be illegal over there.

Terran 03-01-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2531638)
They can put - or pull - whatever they want on their platform.

Not true. We have all kinds of permutations and protections and wrinkles in the law that make private companies liable for their business decisions related to employment, conduct, products and services, etc.

Bake that damn cake, they said.

Chimpbot 03-01-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2531970)
Not true. We have all kinds of permutations and protections and wrinkles in the law that make private companies liable for their business decisions related to employment, conduct, products and services, etc.

Bake that damn cake, they said.

While there may be other effects and repercussions, they would still be free to place or remove content as they see fit on their own, private platform. The freedom of speech - which is what my comment was in response to - isn't applicable.

Terran 03-01-2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2531975)
...they would still be free to place or remove content as they see fit on their own, private platform.

And, as I've said, this isn't true.

Quote:

The freedom of speech - which is what my comment was in response to - isn't applicable.
Bzzzzt, wrong again.

Bake that damn cake, they said.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:26 AM.