Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Neill Blomkamp To Direct New ‘RoboCop’ (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254563)

Booda 07-11-2018 12:50 PM

Neill Blomkamp To Direct New ‘RoboCop’

Quote:

EXCLUSIVE: MGM is developing a new installment of RoboCop and has set District 9 director Neill Blomkamp to helm the picture, which is titled RoboCop Returns. The studio hopes to revive a franchise that began with the Paul Verhoeven-directed satirical sci-fi action thriller that Orion released in 1987. Original writers Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner are producing and exec producing, respectively. Justin Rhodes, who co-wrote the Terminator film that Tim Miller is shooting, will rewrite the script that Neumeier and Miner wrote years ago as a planned sequel to Verhoeven’s hit, an installment that never happened. That duo is creatively involved in moving forward their creation for the first time since the original.
Deadline

brandonjclark 07-11-2018 06:09 PM

I liked District 9 more than the average person, I think. And I think that a Robocop film shot in the same manner could be fricking awesome.

But does anyone think that those type of film styles (gritty documentary) are kinda past?

I remember there being a lot of them around that time, starting with Blair Witch (long ago).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I WANT to see a Robocop shot in the style of District 9, I'm just not sure the public does.

EL CABONG 07-11-2018 06:22 PM

I hate district 9 and chapie.
I love OG Robocop. The remake wasn't terrible. Not as good as the first two movies but better than a pg 13 Robocop had any right to be.
My point is I think this will suck. An R sequel to the reboot would be a better idea than this. Or like almost any other director than this guy.

Evil Avatar 07-11-2018 06:26 PM

I loved District 9 and Chappie and the action scenes in Elysium are fantastic (even if the movie itself is kinda average).

You couldn't pick a better person to direct a new Robocop. And going back to the original sequel script? Great idea.

Hellstorm 07-11-2018 10:25 PM

The original sequel script was so-so, Evil. They even used the basics of the sequel script for the TV series; the first few pilot episodes were based off that script.

It's good that they are just saying the other three films didn't happen. But Frank Miller had some good seeds of ideas in his Robo 2 script, but he just sorta dropped the ball, even with Orion's meddling.

davidj.dk 07-11-2018 11:47 PM

District 9 was awesome, while chappie was an utter disappointment.. Elysium was so so..

what lies underneath them all is the societal commentary, and if the same thing could be implemented well in robocop it could wind up being a pretty cool movie.. The old robocop had similar themes too..

m.c. 07-11-2018 11:52 PM

For me, I would prefer a more gritty and nasty style Robocop, done in the style of the remake of Judge Dredd, Dredd. That was really awesome!

excalibur1814 07-12-2018 03:34 AM

Can we just have a new film in the same style as the first instead?

Gimme' my $%cking phone call!
6000 SUX
I'd buy that for a dollar
Your move, creep
Does it hurt?

I was SO young when I watched Robocop and it was so ultra-violent. Blowing his hand off, shooting him in the side of the head and the driver hitting the guy that literally explodes into guts and gore. Fantastic.

shadow763 07-12-2018 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2516822)
Can we just have a new film in the same style as the first instead?

Gimme' my $%cking phone call!
6000 SUX
I'd buy that for a dollar
Your move, creep
Does it hurt?

I was SO young when I watched Robocop and it was so ultra-violent. Blowing his hand off, shooting him in the side of the head and the driver hitting the guy that literally explodes into guts and gore. Fantastic.

All of this!

Chimpbot 07-12-2018 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2516803)
I loved District 9 and Chappie and the action scenes in Elysium are fantastic (even if the movie itself is kinda average).

You couldn't pick a better person to direct a new Robocop.

I love Blomkamp's movies, so I'm really excited to see him helming a Robocop movie.

Quote:

And going back to the original sequel script? Great idea.
It can't be any worse than Frank Miller's original script for the sequel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellstorm (Post 2516816)
The original sequel script was so-so, Evil. They even used the basics of the sequel script for the TV series; the first few pilot episodes were based off that script.

It's good that they are just saying the other three films didn't happen. But Frank Miller had some good seeds of ideas in his Robo 2 script, but he just sorta dropped the ball, even with Orion's meddling.

I think they're going back to the original original script, which was written by the guys who wrote the first movie.

Skunk 07-12-2018 06:02 AM

Did we need a new one? Last one is still pretty fresh (and great).

Chimpbot 07-12-2018 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk (Post 2516827)
Did we need a new one? Last one is still pretty fresh (and great).

I think we do. I didn't mind the 2014 film at all; it wasn't much like the 1987 original...but it wasn't really trying to be, either. It was doing its own thing and tapping into a different set of issues, concerns, and fears for a different era. With that being said, the original deserves a good sequel and the two that we got in '89 and '93 weren't all that great.

brandonjclark 07-12-2018 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2516823)
All of this!

You're forgetting the best (non-robo) line which is from Clarence (2):

"Bitches, leave"

NACIONAL 07-12-2018 08:17 AM

I am all over for a good Robocop movie. With the gore, satire, and general awesomeness.

Neil Blomkamp could do great if its anywhere near District9. If its closer to chappie I would be dissapointed. I really wanted to like chappie, but it felt like it missed a lot of its potential.

ElektroDragon 07-12-2018 09:51 AM

Blomkamp?! You know he's gonna ruin it with politics, right??

PacerDawn 07-12-2018 06:31 PM

I thought Robocop 2 was fine. It had the gratuitous violence, dark satire, and questionable morals just like the first one. And it spawned the best line in the series, spoken by the old man as Robocop 2 went on a destructive rampage:

"This could look bad for OCP, Johnson. Scramble the best spin team we have."

Wizzkidd 07-12-2018 08:27 PM

While I'm happy that Robocop lives on, I feel that Blomkamp is very overrated. District 9 was good at the time, but Elysium and Chappie were mediocre at best. All the talk about him making an Alien sequel had me irritated, because of the aforementioned reasons, and Alien is my favorite film. I also don't like how every film has to be about societal issues and rich vs poor, etc.

I'll be happy as hell and sing his praises if Robocop turns out good, but until that time I'm feeling pessimistic about it.