Evil Avatar  

Go Back   Evil Avatar

View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #184
Anenome
Autarchist

I watched this today, damn, awesome:

I hadn't considered a hexagonal modular floating platform, but it makes good sense. Although I wouldn't create ones as large as the ones depicted here.

A lot of the show was about creating these as a "New New Orleans" concept, dealing with hurricanes and the like :P No hurricanes off the California coast luckily.

Another fascinating part was that the Dutch have progressed considerably in the floating-city concept. They've begun constructing house boats designed for permanent living in floating wards, but unlike current houseboats. These have a deep hull design making them far more stable.

On-water living is becoming a mainstream option in the Netherlands, as its actually cheaper than living on land and they fear that global warming will overcome their dikes and make current living style impossible eventually.

There's a 300 unit floating neighborhood being planned there.