Evil Avatar  

Go Back   Evil Avatar

View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #186
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
...The ocean would wipe any city that was made in the middle of the ocean though. Because the ocean is basically telling us fuck you.
Exactly. That's why you build it in flexible interconnecting tiles of hexagons. Each is self-floating, self-supporting, and capable of being moved.

This is exactly why I've long felt that such a floating city requires a new political structure, because for the first time in history you can have a city where land-relationships are not fixed but entirely floating. Meaning, if you don't like your neighbor, you can just up and leave, literally.

To address your idea directly, if you have a city of interconnecting but flexible tiles, it will move with the waves rather than be destroyed by them.

The next question becomes what size tile is ideal, or might there be multiple sizes.

I'm thinking of starting with a tile that would contain a single-family-dwelling. The size should be forward looking because later tiles are likely to be multiples of that original tile size in order to accomodate larger commercial and factory buildings and the like (7 smaller hexagons joined together can approximate a single larger sized hexagon, with some spaces left over that can be filled elsewise).

The edge of the hexagon will contain floats that project straight down into the water and can be added or subtracted depending on how much weight you're putting on this "sealand". Larger buildings need more floatation and also more weight to balance them. The center bottom of the hexagon has a weight structure designed to bring the center of gravity well below the water line so that it is inherently stable.

This design fixes what makes an oil rig so uncomfortable, because the oil rigs use a central float and a central weight, which makes the structure particularly susceptible to tipping and rocking motions.

By contrast, with the floating hexagon 'sealand', because the floats are placed at the skirt edge of the structure tipping and rocking motions are automatically counterbalance by floats on the other side. And you're always going to have at least six floats, one on each tip of the hex shape.

The floats themselves are nothing more than steel cylinders projecting downward into the water. While six is a minimum, how deep they go is optional, and there's the ability to add many more floats if need be, for heavier or more stable structures. These would be bolted to the frame on the underside of the hexagon, which would be steel I-beams coated in fiberglass for weatherproofing (that's what I'm thinking rn anyway).