Evil Avatar  

Go Back   Evil Avatar

View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Apex Legends producer calls players 'ass-hats' and 'dicks' in heated Reddit thread

Quote:
A Reddit thread in which Apex Legends developer Respawn admitted its fairly expensive, complicated Iron Crown Collection Event had "missed the mark" has descended into recriminations and more debate about the relationship between developers and fans.

The thread, which announced changes to the way players obtain Legendary skins during the event, attracted comments from individual Respawn developers, including executive producer Drew McCoy. In the course of the discussion, McCoy called players "ass-hats" and "dicks", and lamented toxicity in the community.

"I've been in the industry long enough to remember when players weren't complete ass-hats to developers and it was pretty neat. I forged a bunch of long lasting relationships from back then," he said in one comment. "Would be awesome to get back there, and not engaging with toxic people or asking 'how high' when a mob screams 'jump' is hopefully a start."
PC Gamer.

I've been in the community long enough to remember when games were released finished and when DLC was released for free because developers appreciated the customer.

Update from Respawn Director Vince Zampella:

Quote:
“On Friday, we gave Apex fans an update on how we were changing the Iron Crown event. Some of the team then joined a discussion with our community on Reddit, and things got to a pretty bad place. Some of our folks crossed a line with their comments, and that’s not how we want Respawn o be represented.

I apologize to any of our fans that were offended. I will always stand behind the team here at Respawn and support them on speaking out against some of the toxic and nasty comments being directed at them, including everything from death threats to comments aimed at their family and loved ones. But we shouldn’t contribute to it when we do comment, and add to the very thing we want to prevent.

We need to lead by example. Last week we didn’t do that, and going forward we will be better. Having an open, healthy relationship with our community is incredibly important to all of us at Respawn.”
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote