Evil Avatar  

Go Back   Evil Avatar

View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #32
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Don't think I've come across one yet in near 40 years of enjoying gaming to be honest. Do people end up with favorites? Sure, to this day Mechwarrior 2:Mercenaries is still way high on my list of all time favorite games, but even that I wouldn't call a masterpeace though it comes close if you like that genre of niche title, which Battletech/Mechwarrior is, extremely niche. Titles like Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 are also high up there but again there is really no such thing as the perfect game.

Nintendo does Nintendo, and I think that's why I'm so down on them really, they don't try and push the envelope and instead play things very very safe. Relying on things like platforming as a key point in games in 2019 just doesn't do a thing for me. Granted I was tired of platforming back in the 80's to begin with since tech was fairly limited.
Interesting that we're talking about BotW and you're also here talking about how Nintendo plays things safe. They took a franchise that has been beloved for 33 years and totally went in a different direction with it. Playing it safe would have certainly not been an open world Zelda game. They would have walled off the world to a much larger degree, and focused on a small handful of dungeons. The scope of the game would have been much tighter, and more more story focused. It was a risk for a franchise with such a massive following.

Splatoon and ARMs weren't conventional genres for Nintendo either.

That said, I really think it's high time they branch out more. I've said it a milion times. I want to see them do an in-house survival horror, or a sim racer, or just something totally out of their "wheelhouse" so we can see what they can do in other genres.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote