Assassin's Creed Unity...
Last post by karaliusbronius
Today 03:17 PM
6 Replies, 640 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #81
Terran
Evil Dead

I personally don't have a problem with a built-in camera if I control whether it is running or not. If it is required to be on, I have a problem with that. Were I to buy the console, I'd cover the camera with black electrical tape and forget about it (like I do with all webcams in my home).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
We had this talk. Blueseed launches in 2014.
I intend to [move]. 2014 asshole.
Time is a-wastin', AnenoBob from Baghdad!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #82
Hagetaka
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Clearing the cache did indeed do the trick. Seriously, how many 'average' folks are going to know to do shit like that with their box if it works weirdly like mine just did, selectively blocking certain stuff? That's just bizarre. It certainly didn't seem like an app problem, because the app was working.

Weird. Annoying.
Not to pick on you specifically, but you did bring it up. Its interesting that so many console owners state that consoles "just work" when errors similar to this crop up quite often. Consoles are beginning to encroach onto the regular PC domain of "ok, how do I troubleshoot this".

How much longer until you need to call a console technician to repair your console software?

/Chicken Little, etc.
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #83
vallor
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
1 billion should get them 20-30 AAA exclusives.

AAA games cost between 20-40 million make, market, and distribute, so let's just say they are going to be wildly inefficient and spend 50 million per game. That's 20 exclusives. If they budget it half-way decently so that they only spend 33.33 million per game, that's 30 exclusives.
30M - 40M buys you development for a AAA game next gen from a reputable studio. Not including marketing, etc.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #84
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
30M - 40M buys you development for a AAA game next gen from a reputable studio. Not including marketing, etc.
Do you know any developers? Where are you getting your information? Even the most expensive games ever cost around $100 million (GTA IV, MMOs like The Old Republic) and that included marketing. With marketing being half or more of a game's budget, EVERY game would cost $60-80 million and thus would need to sell 1.5-2 million copies just to break even. . . which, of course, very few games do.

Talk to developers. They are very happy to get 10 million for development on a game. That much means a huge team and 2-3 years of development. A budget of $30 million means they'd have 5 million more to throw at video animation, voice-acting, and licensing, but if they don't need all of that (or $5 million worth), they can get by with far less than that. It's not odd to see a development budget of 5-6 million for development costs (developer salaries, offices and office supplies).
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #85
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagetaka View Post
Its interesting that so many console owners state that consoles "just work" when errors similar to this crop up quite often. Consoles are beginning to encroach onto the regular PC domain of "ok, how do I troubleshoot this".
I agree.

Oh, and I'm getting the same error AGAIN! Season 1 of the Remastered Original Star Trek series won't work.

When people think of television, they think of 'turning it on and it just works.' This is ridiculous.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #86
Grumsh
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
The Kinect can still really improve game experiences. I don't want to throw a virtual grenade in Halo.

But the fact that it can read my heart rate and expression means developers can build systems to take advantage of that information. Remember Manhunt on the PS2? You could make a really good one now.

I could see games like Splinter Cell, Assasins Creed, etc... Really taking advantage of this. I think even Call of Duty could try and change AI behavior based on your heart rate or expression.

Worst case a developer could use that information to adjust difficulty. It could tell if you are being stressed or not and make the game easier if need be. This would probably help gaming as a whole and make it more enjoyable for non-hardcores -- something that could adjust to normals needs vs having to actually be good.
While I foresee the heart rate monitor ending up as useful as the original use of the colored halo on the Xbox remotes (remember the original intented purpose before the RRoD?), it would be rather entertaining to see an AI as robust as Left For Deads blended with a horror game more akin to the original Resident Evil. Imagine a game AI that can actively monitor your heart rate and spring the Zombie Dog jumping through the plate glass window at the most emotionally tense point!

But leaving dreamland and re-entering reality, we know this wont really happen... but I can dream can't I?

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #87
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Imagine a game AI that can actively monitor your heart rate and spring the Zombie Dog jumping through the plate glass window at the most emotionally tense point!
You're looking at this as an enthusiast. Forget your love of gaming as a hobby for a moment, and place yourself in the shoes of your average litigious Westerner.

Lawsuit.

Quote: