6 Replies, 1,142 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Project Gotham Racing 3 Hand on Impressions

Project Gotham Racing 3 Hands on Preview
by: Nicholas "bapenguin" Puleo, Editor-in-Chief

One game that's garnered a lot of attention for it's graphics is Project Gotham Racing 3. The graphics have been hyped and hyped, and the polygons pushed and pushed. And while the graphics of PGR3 are drop dead gorgeous, when you are flying by at 170 miles per hour, you don't have the time to appreciate them.

So lets get it out of the way. PGR3 is beautiful. It's sexy. You'll want to take it out to dinner, buy it flowers and hope for a good night kiss with tongue. The textures and models are as close to photo-realistic as you can get without being it. The game pushes some serious polygons. The Brooklyn Bridge in the game is made of more polygons than an entire city in Project Gotham Racing 2. The motion blur effect is nicely done and really creates a good sense of speed. If the game was only running at 30FPS, I didn't notice it. Only once did I notice the frame rate slow down, ironically it was over the Brooklyn bridge with 6 other cars on the screen.

Another big graphical upgrade is the crowds. Screenshots do the crowds no jusstice. Their movement is so fluid and natural. They'll snap photos of you and react to what you do with cheers. Crash into a wall near them? Watch them jump back and cover their faces. The crowds in PGR3 are one of those things that have to be seen to be appreciated.

The cars that I got to see in PGR3 look very well modeled. All of them seemed accurate to their real life counterparts. The inside camera view of the cars is particularly detailed with the windshield gathering dust, scratches and cracks on it. If you take a moment to sit back and just watch the game play out from that view you'd swear you were watching video from a race on TV. Every track has a night and day mode, and the New York and Vegas tracks are particularly nice at night. The neon lights of Vegas reflect off the surfaces of the car and look really slick.

The game has a ton of tracks. There were 5 Locales: London, Las Vegas, Nuremberg, New York City and Japan. In each of the locales there were at least 8 to 10 tracks all ranging in difficultly from easy to hard. The racing itself is solid and feels like the previous Gotham games. Kudos makes its return as do more cars than you care to count.

Lets get to where the game really shines. Its Live mode. Every game you play via live can be broadcast via GothamTV. As you get ranked your races begin to be put into channels. The Heroes channel will have the top racers in PGR3 and will automatically be broadcast via GothamTV. Bizzarre Creations is trying to breed the next “sports” star. What's cool is there's an online sports ticker that will let you know how your friends are doing and their various achievements while playing games. It'll also let you know what's going on in the Hero's channel. If there's a race with say, the 3 of the top 10 people in PGR3 playing in the Heroes channel, you'll have the opportunity to jump in and watch it play out. I haven't heard a limit yet on how many people can watch one of these events, but I heard a rumor that they tested it with over 300,000 spectators.

I'm really anxious to see how the Live component of this game plays out. This is truly something unique and innovative and could take online gaming to a new level. PGR3 will be a solid AAA racing game and a worthy successor to the franchise. Racing fans shouldn't miss it!

Update: I just found out the PGR3 will contain a copy of Geometry Wars for Live Arcade!

Last edited by bapenguin; 10-13-2005 at 12:50 PM..
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
mister_slim
**** Killed the EvAv Star

I wonder how they tested it with 300,000 spectators?

mister_slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

If these guys had a mode with guns on the cars, it would be wicked. Imagine racing through the streets blowing up everything in your way....
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
funtownarcade
Lord

I hope you guys arent loving all this stuff just because Microsoft hooked you up with an event. The number of polygons in a bridge doesnt sound like an honest impression, but a regurgitation
funtownarcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
The Iron Weasel
Bring Out Your Shred

It sounds awesome, loved PGR2, so i'll check this out when i pick up a 360
Misery Signals
Darkest Hour
All Shall Perish
Nine Inch Nails
The Iron Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
ElPresidente
Evil Dead

Location: In a place where I don't have to engage with folks like you.
It was merely used to help illustrate how detailed the visuals are in text form funtownarcade.
ElPresidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:28 PM   #7
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

No Edinburgh? So sad...

Nice article, bapenguin.
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtownarcade
I hope you guys arent loving all this stuff just because Microsoft hooked you up with an event. The number of polygons in a bridge doesnt sound like an honest impression, but a regurgitation
If you think that then you've clearly not read enough of bapenguin's posts. Accusing someone of dishonesty because they make a point of mentioning how many polys are in a certain object in a game for a next generation console seems a fair comment to me.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
thecrazyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits
If you think that then you've clearly not read enough of bapenguin's posts. Accusing someone of dishonesty because they make a point of mentioning how many polys are in a certain object in a game for a next generation console seems a fair comment to me.
Have you been reading bap's posts? No offense intended, but I have never really heard him speak negatively about the XBox. I was thinking the same thing, but figured I would not start another argument.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazyd
Have you been reading bap's posts? No offense intended, but I have never really heard him speak negatively about the XBox. I was thinking the same thing, but figured I would not start another argument.
Yes, I have - lots and lots of them.

He likes the Xbox and is looking forward to the 360, but he's been objective in everything I've read. Objectivity and dishonesty are hugely different.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #11
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazyd
Did you read the Perfect Dark article? I really wasn't that impressed with the game. There were a few other dissapointments as well, which I'll get into tomorrow...but overall the system impressed me.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #12
Montgomery_Python
Soul Reaper

*spooge on mah belly*

I wish they would release these for PC! I don't want an Xbox but would love to try them.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #13
gojira
Evil Dead

Ok, children. Time out, go to your rooms and count to 1024.

Seriously, bapenguin is gushing, but I think we all expect that. If you wanna be a fanboy, buy on the first day. If you wanna wait, then wait and see how these games are received by the gamer community at large. Sheesh, ya think bapenguin had rolled you, taken your charge card, and force you to pre-order the whole system.
gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
mister_slim
**** Killed the EvAv Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojira
Sheesh, ya think bapenguin had rolled you, taken your charge card, and force you to pre-order the whole system.
But he did. Made me order the Gamestop Super Omega Plus bundle.

Really.

And then he forced a crackpipe into my mouth.

I feel violated.

But crack-happy violated, yeah.

mister_slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:48 AM   #15
Vandenh
Evil Dead

>I wonder how they tested it with 300,000 spectators?

Hehehe... you don't need real carbon based life forms dude You have software for stress testing servers

Now this game is TOP of my must get list!!!!
My suggestion, as a fellow PS3 owner, is that you should've gotten a 360.
Vandenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:57 AM   #16
Morratut
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin
The racing itself is solid and feels like the previous Gotham games. Kudos makes it's return as do more cars than you care to count.
Nooooo i'm not a fan of the previous games. I much prefer a Gran Turismo/Forza type feel. I want to like this game so much though. Thanks for this Bapenguin it means i will have to play it before i buy it.
Morratut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:24 AM   #17
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Good news....PGR3 comes with Geometry Wars free for Live Arcade. MY GOD THAT GAME ROCKS!