Klassic Kragg

[PS3] - Killzone 3 Beta Impressions

Killzone 3 Beta Impressions [PS3]

Developed by: Guerilla Games
Published by: Sony Computer Entertainment
You pay: $0
Release Date: Oct. 25, 2010 (NA), Oct. 25, 2010 (EU) Ben 'kragg' Daniels

Space Nazis Must Die!

Sometimes you start playing a game and within ten minutes you just know that it feels “right”. Then you play it for a few more hours and realize you are going to be making a purchase in the near future. This was exactly the case when I started the Killzone 3 multiplayer beta. Admittedly, I never played any of KZ2’s multiplayer after finishing the campaign, so I am a total newcomer, but if this is a solid impression of the final product I’m completely sold on it.

Just to get it out of the way, we may have a new front runner for “Best Looking PS3 Title”. The graphics are incredible, and easily some of the best I have seen on a console game. Everything from the textures, character and weapon models, to the snow and water effects on the “Frozen Dam” map are absolutely superb. On top of this, animations are fluid and I noticed barely any frame rate issues. Granted, this is still a beta, but things are looking excellent so far. Audio is on par with the visuals, and the gunfire effects are especially satisfying. You know it’s solid when you’re firing weapons just to hear them go off.

The controls are tight and characters feel like they have weight to them without being sluggish. The best way I can describe it is a great blend of Modern Warfare’s alacrity with the gravity of Gears of War. I could easily target other players, and only occasionally got caught up on some terrain while running and jumping. Although melee and assassination animations are especially brutal, you won’t feel pulled out of the fray when you cave in someones skull or jam your boot knife into their eye socket.

Play is split into two modes across three maps. “Guerilla Warfare” focuses on classic team deathmatch while “Warzone” presents a series of team-based objectives across multiple rounds. I much preferred Warzone as it really showcases the strengths of the loadout system, highlighting use of the primary and secondary skills for each class. Points are awarded for killing adversaries and performing different tasks on the battlefield, and as you accrue points to rank up you will earn “Skill Points”. SP can then be used to unlock upgrades and new equipment in a skill tree.

In addition to the weapons and gadgets in each loadout, certain maps feature alternate modes of transport. One includes a large mech that can be piloted to stomp and gun down other players. It feels properly cumbersome in the drivers seat, like a lumbering metal behemoth. Another map features a jetpack, which puts the Halo Reach jetpack to shame in both function and execution. Neither of these felt tacked on. They sat nicely in the mix without unbalancing the action. There is also an interesting interaction between the jetpacks and a massive turbine that exists in the same map.

From the time I spent with the Killzone 3 beta, I was thoroughly impressed. My feelings went from “Killzone 3 looks cool” to “I must own this on day one!” Everything from the astounding visuals and sound to the polished gameplay and a slick looking clan interface indicate it could be the premiere FPS experience to beat in 2011. Let’s hope that when the war fully begins on Helghan next year it will live up to this first glance.
Kragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Great impressions. It's good to hear it is turning out well. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
3Suns
Evil Dead

Thanks for the impressions. Don't have the PS3, but every time a developer does it right, gamers win!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
mrbrick
Evil Dead

Awsome!
This is good to hear. Its starting to look like this might one of the few multiplayer/action fpses that I pick up over the next year. Im glad to hear the controls are tightened up. I found them to be very loose in KZ2- while you still had that weighty feel to your character. It made targeting rather akward.

Im interested to see how the rest of this game turns out and what they do with the single player. The first one felt really empty. Even though you were capturing objectives and you could hear radio chatter it always felt like Helgan was this sort bizarre world specifically for FPS action.

Hopefully they take a few cues from CoD and put you right in the middle of the story instead of having you just hear about it.
mrbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
lockwoodx
Photobomber

I watched the quick look of this and it made me genuinely regret not having access to a ps3 atm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
bowie
Evil Dead

Delighted to hear the beta is shaping up nicely. I am still playing KZ2 multiplayer on and off and I quite enjoy it. It sounds like a lot of the fundamentals are still the same. Which to my mind is a good thing. Except for the unlocks, I am glad they are changing that.
bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
boneyardweller89
Evil Dead

I wish I had gotten an invite!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
Mathilda
Soul Reaper

WOW. Modern Warfare AND Gears of War. I'm definitely not buying it now.
Mathilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
The Ligand
Evil Dead

I certainly enjoyed kz2. I will probably end up picking this game up when it is released. Thanks for your impressions.
The Ligand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #10
Kragg
Klassic Kragg

Oh, and for the record, I created "Clan Evil Avatar" [EvAv] immediately.

I am now scouring the internet feverishly to see whether clans created in beta will persist once the full retail release arrives. I can't seem to find anything about it, but if anyone gets a concrete answer about this, let me know.

The Vomiting Unicorn Gazette

Xbox Live: Kragg
PSN: El_Kragg
Steam: Kragg
Kragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #11
LoTECH
Evil Dead

Okay. Sounds like a keeper. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
bowie
Evil Dead

Kragg, if you get a chance to try out KZ2 multi-player I'd be really interested to hear more about what has changed and what has stayed the same. Are there new or missing classes? Have they changed the class abilities? Are there new objectives in the Warzone mode?
bowie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta, impressions, killzone 3