Sophisticated Pirate

[DS] - Super Scribblenauts Review

Super Scribblenauts Review [DS]

Also on: N/A
Developed by: 5th Cell
Published by: Warner Brothers Interactive
You pay: $39.99 [on DS]
Release Date: Oct. 12, 2010 (NA), Oct. 29, 2010 (EU)Adam 'pwnophobia' Cogswell

Omnipresent Melancholy Transsexual Velociraptor.

Let's see a show of hands: How many of you felt burned by the original Scribblenauts? Don't worry, I'm raising my hand too! A lot of people use the same phrase when they reference Scribblenauts which is: "if only". "If only" the game had better controls, "If only" the puzzles weren't so simple or "If only" I didn't need to use a Jet Pack for every level...the game might have been great! Well, I hope that I can set those fears behind with Super Scribblenauts because even though I was right there with you, Super Scribblenauts is a much improved version of the first. Dare I say: "It's what the game should have been."

For those of you unfamiliar with the Scribblenauts formula you take control of a dude named Maxwell who is your medium to control the Scribblenauts world. When you enter a stage you're given a specific task like: "Unlock the door" and you have to use words (in this example it'd be a "Key") to add objects to interact with the world. You can give objects to Maxwell or other people on the screen or even create different objects to interact with. The number of words you can use are near endless but what pushes Super Scribblenauts above its predecessor isn't just the puzzles, it's the addition of adjectives. Yes, the simple addition of descriptive words pushes the levels and puzzles to be even better than before. Now I can add a "Purple Omnipotent Cthulu" and have it chase me around the screen while I previously could only use "Cthulu." I almost forgot to mention that just in case I didn't know that I could use "Purple Omnipotent Cthulu" to finish a puzzle that Super Scribblenauts has added a hint system. For a certain amount of cash you can unlock a hint that'll help you finish a puzzle and I'll admit I used it more than once.

Super Scribblenauts keeps coming with the improvements by replacing their stage system with a more traditional set of unlocking. As you finish a puzzle a subsequent world unclocks and after you've met the pre-requisites for that world another new world unlocks with even more puzzles. Being somewhat reminiscent of the old formula, you can still go back and do the advanced levels. The difference being you have to replay the puzzle with new words. Just having that little piece in the game made me realize how few words I actually know, or how to (sometimes) use proper adjectives. Speaking of adjectives, they're not exactly used as you might being expectin, they're only used during special adjective levels. In these levels you need to add a adjective or more to a word to complete the puzzle and obtain a Starrite. When I had to come up with "fuzzy house" it made me stop and put down the game for a moment, I couldn't believe that I didn't realize that FUZZY was an adjective. With that being said the game has really broaden my mind and near the end I was completing puzzles with a little more ease than the beginning while still being completely dumbfounded on other stages.

Continuing down the improvement train the biggest complaint that any of us had with Scribblenauts were the controls. You may remember how you used the stylus to do EVERYTHING and this can still hold true with Super Scribblenauts but instead you get a choice of controls. Now you can control Maxwell with the d-pad and move the screen around with the stylus, which usually saves you from accidentally jumping off a cliff. This isn't without its flaws, sometimes you'll still end up falling to your death, but it makes it harder to do so unless you revert back to old habits of moving the screen with the d-pad.

I don't have many complaints about the game, the few being the DS's fault like choppy graphics or slow loading times. 90% of the puzzles are amazingly done and are not recycled from the last game but there are a few occasions where adjectives miss match or you misspell a word and don't get what you want. If I could have something added it'd be an adjective spell check but I can't complain when the game I wanted to love has been updated - overall, it works excellently now. The best advice I can give anyone when it comes to Scribblenauts is that if you didn't feel burned by the first game, or just wanted to love it so badly, then you need to pick up Super Scribblenauts. You may or may not fall in love with Maxwell again, but you can't deny that 5th Cell took everything that you complained about and fixed it this time around.

• Improved control scheme.
  • Vastly improved puzzles with the additions of adjectives!
  • Traditional stage unlocking with challenge specific levels.
  • On some stages the adjectives can be a bit...picky.
  • I forgot that fuzzy was an adjective. You may now throw stones.
pwnophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Earth Djinn
Evil Dead

I never bought the first one, but picked this up when it came out and I've been really enjoying it.

I always meant to get the first one, but I just never got around to it and it wasn't long before this was announced so I just waited and feel like I made the right choice. Its a nice game I can play for a few minutes at a time if I want to and still get some progress done.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

I loved the first game, but barely played through the actual puzzles. When I needed a quick time waster, I would just mess around on the intro screen letting zombies battle a T-Rex, or whatever other random creatures came to mind fight to the death for my macabre amusement. I assume that same feature is still present in Super Scribblenauts?
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
pwnophobia
Sophisticated Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
I assume that same feature is still present in Super Scribblenauts?
Yes....with adjectives!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Can I pass this one in 3 hours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
This is Evil Avatar, a video game forum, you dumb cunt. You're a pussy and everything you just said was bullshit.
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Syl
Evil Dead

All I'm going to say is that the first few words I put into super scribblenauts:

Magical Wombat (Worked)
Magnetic Bicycle
Neodymium

and i walked around with the bicycle following me around and with a wombat flying around nonchalantly.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

wtf flying wombat? I must have this game!
Quote:
This is Evil Avatar, a video game forum, you dumb cunt. You're a pussy and everything you just said was bullshit.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
Anenome
Autarchist

Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Shit I've never played the first one but is it really this easy? Dave told me he finished the first one very quick and Dave is a fucking hack!
Quote:
Old 12-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
Anenome
Autarchist

So, what happens when you write in "banhammer"??? >_>

Tags
evav review, in-house content, review, super scribblenauts