Yesterday 11:25 PM
8 Replies, 1,260 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #21
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Damn I need to stop going out so I don't miss great threads like this. The only 2c I can chip in by now is I'd highly suggest a 2gb video card. That's the only "real" bottleneck atm for systems and make sure it's not a 1x1 card either. 80+ Gold PSU is a must as others have mentioned and the Rosewill Lightning series is nothing short of spectacular. As for motherboards I'm going to suggest ASRock because mine has been running hassle free for me almost 6 months now which is a small miracle for mobos these days. (amd ones at least) Make sure no matter which board you purchase that you look up which ram the manufacturer suggest. ASRock takes Kingston HyperX for the most part.

edit: Oh, expect to have to overclock your ram no matter which brand you buy. Fuckers never EVERRRRRRRRRR give you 1600mhz out of the box and most BIOs's are too shy to do it for you.
How about 80 plus sliver? Is it best to go for gold no matter what?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139011

Future-proofing is what I am trying for with the 680 gtx and Ivy Bridge chipset. I can't seem to choose on a nice motherboard though. ASRock, Asus, Gigabyte, Intel... I am inclined towards Asus or Gigabyte since I have had experience with both brands and they have been quality. My Gigabyte mb I am using now is over 4 years old and still going strong.

Going for a new motherboard with 1-2 pci-e 3.0 slots. Won't do the triple/quad video card setup, funds only go so far.

Can you turn off the led lighting on the Rosewill? The PSU looks nice but the last thing I want is Las Vegas-in-a-box.

Last edited by Saudade; 05-01-2012 at 06:28 PM..
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #22
montemuscle1970
Evil Dead

Under the computer hardware tab on newegg, they have a few tools at the end of the list, one is for calculating the type of PSU you should go with. You can try that and see what kind of wattage you're looking at. I usually add 200-300 watts over what I expect just for giggles.

If you really want to futurproof it I would go for a gold rated one. They usually run cooler and quieter, though not much. But the efficiency helps it last a little longer, and helps control excess power to parts better as well. Not that you would ever really notice any problems with a bronze or silver rating anyways.

My recommendation is a gold 1000 watt if you can squeeze it into the budget, and make it fully modular. Thats probably more important to me than the rating. I'm using a silverstone 1200W gold fully modular PSU. Works great, but I did have to send it back to have the fan replaced because the bearings went after 2 weeks. Which wasn't really that bad, but I was miffed cuz I just got it and my last computer had bearings going left and right (10 years old) and I swore I'd never let another computer get like that. My computer now is ridiculously quiet.

I'd go with a full tower case that has bigger, silent performing fans. They RPM less but move good air and stay pretty quiet.

And my last recommendation is using SATA III SSD's. At least have one for a boot drive. You can get away with a 60GB one, though I'd recommend 90GB or up. I use 2 corsair force 3 60GB SSD's, and I have an external USB3.0 HDD with 500GB just for storage. I've never run into space issues, but I really don't do much with this thing. But I was the same as you, I just wanted to build a computer that was a little ahead of the time so I didn't have to do it again for a while.

Make sure you keep a couple parts lists in your newegg account to keep an eye on deals and rebates and the such and you can walk away with some decent savings. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by presage View Post
I'd like to go see PETA throw blood all over some native American's for wearing animal fur.
montemuscle1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
Saudade
Evil Dead

Yeah, I am definitely picking up a SSD. I also was looking at a 1TB internal 7200 HDD to go with it. Would it be worth it to go 2 x SSD in RAID0 instead and just having a large HDD for storage?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
montemuscle1970
Evil Dead

Well RAID will give you better speed performance, but I don't think it would be noticeable in real world use. Mostly benchmarks. You won't be missing out if you don't do RAID. At least with SATA III. Plus the expense isn't worth it, in my opinion. As they cost more, and you'll be paying twice as much for the same space.

I would definitely pick up one SSD for boot, and an internal HDD for that extra storage if you need it, but would also prefer two SSD's and the internal (or even external) HDD. That way you can have all your preferred apps and programs that need the SSD speed, but you can have a place to store gobs of memes and useless videos!
Quote:
I'd like to go see PETA throw blood all over some native American's for wearing animal fur.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #25
Saudade
Evil Dead

Thanks, you answered my next question of an all SSD system instead of HDD! I will go for 2 SSD (1 128gig + 1 256gig ) and add the 1TB HDD for mass storage. Great info all around. I was hoping for this type of discussion when I posted.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #26
Anenome
Autarchist

It's important not to short yourself on the PSU. Get the best you can afford.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #27
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
It's important not to short yourself on the PSU. Get the best you can afford.
I am definitely going to be in debt from all of this. So I am not going to skimp on anything. 850w Gold Plus psu may be overkill for what I am getting but in the end I know it will be worth it.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #28
montemuscle1970
Evil Dead

Yeah, this is true.^ (what anenome said)

If all goes well, you'll have this computer for a while, and you may upgrade things here and there, but you don't want those things to be something like the PSU or CPU. I skimped on my video card because it was on sale and had a rebate which also allowed me to buy a better monitor, a wireless keyboard, a trackball...just some other stuff. Try to get the most for your money. Video cards today are easier to upgrade if you just get a cheapie to get things rolling. I feel like back in the day video cards took a big hit with CPU and RAM bottlenecks, and they probably still do, but for the most part a high end card can really handle a lot on its own. More than they used to. Maybe thats just my experience though??
Quote:
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #29
Syl
Evil Dead

Do no, under any circumstances, ever, go RAID with an SSD. Not only will it be prohibitively expensive, you won't notice any performance benefits with current S-ATA technology. More importantly, using RAID on an SSD setup disables TRIM, and TRIM is insanely important for keeping SSD's alive and healthy for a decent amount of time.

You want an SSD. If you really want to stretch performance, go for a bigger SSD and then use intel's Rapid Reponse technology to use a partition of the SSD as a cache for the bigger harddrives. Getting a bigger SSD is cheaper than getting multiple SSDs, so why bother getting more than one?

Getting a bigger power supply than you need is simply wasted money. It's not wasted power (power supplies only ever use as much power as needed) but it won't benefit you in any way to have a bigger one. Go for one that you may need for upgrading, but unless you're planning on going multi-SLI you won't need more than 750watts.

You do, however, want a 80+ gold (silver's fine) modular power supply. I'm partial to corsair, as i've said. FSP, Antec, thermalright, etc. are also good brands.

What are your thoughts on peripherals? I know you said that you wanted to get an awesome quality IPS panel display, but have you put any thought into mouse/keyboard/audio, etc.?
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #30
Saudade
Evil Dead

It actually is cheaper to buy multiple SSDs than 1 large one, but why not use 2 SSDs instead of 1 SSD + 1 HDD? Even though I am going to get a HDD for mass storage, is there any reason not to just use 2 SSDs for OS and programs?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #31
Syl
Evil Dead

I have a 128gig SSD and 5 terabytes of mechanical harddrives and i'm soon going to get another 2 terabytes, so i'm a bit of a fringe case.

However with wonderful software like SteamTool i've never needed more than 128 gigs of SSD space. (I have nearly 2 terabytes of steam games, the other 3 terabytes are left to your imagination)

I highly suggest you spend the cost premium on an Intel SSD. It's worth the stability.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #32
Saudade
Evil Dead

I was ushered towards Crucial for the SSDs, and you recommend Intel being great also. Will definitely look into it and since you mentioned Intel SSD:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Int...AID,14048.html

But nothing has come of it yet from what I have read.

As for the rest, I use a Logitech G9 mouse and have a Razer Naga which collects dust atm. My keyboard is ok. You did mention audio, um, does the onboard audio chipsets work ok or should I look into a Creative soundblaster for instance? I have never used onbaord audio from a motherboard before and always have had a Soundblaster, so I am not not sure how good mb audio is.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #33
Syl
Evil Dead

MB audio will be perfectly acceptable with the motherboards i've previously mentioned. Also make sure you read the SSD article here:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/30/which-ssd/

It explains SSDs far better than i'm willing too on a forum.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #34
Saudade
Evil Dead

OK, so it looks like the Sammy 830 and Intel SSDs are the better choice. And after all the motherboards I have looked at, I too am edging towards the Asus Sabertooth Z77. Now for the casing.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #35
Syl
Evil Dead

yeah, casing. I'm so out of it right now when it comes to cases, i've heard of so many good ones that nothing in particular is striking or coming to mind at the moment.

You want (multiple) 120mm intake and exhaust, a larger mid-tower case, probably in the $150 range. Unless you really want to show off that motherboard/videocard, i'd probably avoid a side window, even though your internal components are going to be quite sexy.

You probably want to find a case that has a 200mm exhaust like the antec elevenhundred. Also make absolutely sure that it has USB 3.0, if you get a higher quality case you can have 4x usb 3.0 ports.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #36
Saudade
Evil Dead

It has been a bitch trying to find one with what I want. First, no damned LED fan lights. Sadly most casing seem to have this and some won't even let you turn that shit off. USB 3.0 is a must and I like mid-towers with decent cooling. With that in mind I came across a few Corsair cases:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139009

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139006

I spent most of the time looking at Corsair.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #37
Syl
Evil Dead

Corsair does make some damn good... everything, honestly.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #38
Saudade
Evil Dead

Going to call it a night. I appreciate the recommendations, it has helped more than ya know It is hard to choose the Intel 520 over the M4 with the huge price difference but I will definitely consider it.

I am in somewhat of a rush to get things ordered in the next day or so, won't get much time to research soon with work piling up. Hell, I need this shit before D3 drops!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #39
Syl
Evil Dead

So, what did your final hardware setup look like?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #40
Saudade
Evil Dead

OK, I am such an indecisive bastard so I completely overspent. This is what I went with in the end:

EVGA 680 GTX
Corsair 600T black Casing
Corsair AX850 PSU
i7 Ivy Bridge 3770 CPU
Asus Sabertooth Z77 TUF motherboard
2x8 Corsair 1600 memory
Crucial 128 and 256gig SSDs ( I know you recommended Intel and I believed everything you said but these were much cheaper and also had good reviews. If one fails I will definitely pick up the Intel)
1TB Sammy Internal HDD 7200
Asus cheap-ass DVD burner
And now the indecisive part: I picked up 2 24" LCD IPS monitors: Asus PA246Q and Dell U2410. I am buying another monitor that will be a 23" TN panel at 120hz but I haven't decided which yet (Asus or BenQ?).

I still have yet to buy an Intuos5 art pad, an audio card (will use on board for the time being) and a wifi component. I am not overclocking anything so I picked up the non-K 3770 cpu.

I am doing my part to help the economy! Debt, debt and more debt!

Tags
halp im a rock!, hot nerd talk