Post something good you...
Last post by vallor
Yesterday 06:13 PM
56 Replies, 10,983 Views

Old 02-18-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

"It's Impossible" for Next-Gen Consoles to Match PCs Says Crytek

Crytek boss Cevat Yerli told Eurogamer it's impossible for consoles to match the performance of a powerful PC.

Quote:
Crytek boss Cevat Yerli, restricted by non-disclosure agreements with both Microsoft and Sony, told Eurogamer Crysis 3 running on a powerful PC looks better than next-generation games due to be announced. Indeed, he said it is "impossible" for consoles to match gaming PCs.

The chief reason behind this, Yerli said, is cost.

"Without breaking NDAs that are in place, realistically, from purely a price point perspective, it is impossible.

"It's impossible to package $2000-3000 into a mainstream, let's say $500 console. I'm not saying they are $500 consoles. They may launch a console at $2000, but the consumer pricing is usually much lower than that.

"So, given consumer pricing, and given the cost of production of a gamer PC and the amount of watt of power it needs, which is like a fridge, it's impossible."
Thanks, VG247.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

This guy got any other fuckin' pearls of wisdom?
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

CPU performance doesn't mean crap if the games aren't taking advantage of it and console optimization will always win hands down, even years into it's life.

Having said that, I can't abandon my 5 year old PC (Core2Duo E8500, 8GB RAM) with an upgraded GPU (5600Ti). I'm still enjoying most games on it today without any problems. A lot of my friends also treat their PCs as consoles. With Steam, it's almost like having XB Live on your PC and you simply can't beat the discounts. The key is to have a separate machine for all your work so your gaming machine stays as clean as possible. So many applications today vomit their installations all over your registry/file system and even patches come with bulky installers. I worked with InstallShield at one of my jobs and I remember how much crap that thing leaves in the registry after each uninstall.

As much as I love consoles for their optimization, they don't offer excellent games like Path of Exile, Sins of the Solar Empire and many more that require a mouse and keyboard.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
shadow763
Lord of Woe

PCs are just a better experience overall. Also the fact that console makers are trying to continually drag out the life of their systems to upwards of a decade, they fall pretty far behind. But price is always kind of the biggest issue for consumers to move to PC gaming along with ease of use that you get in the console world.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
Rommel
International Playboy

The sun came up today. I just wanted to alert everyone to this.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
PCs are just a better experience overall.
In your opinion.

There is nothing better for me, sitting behind a desk without my friends and my library of games.

And I am not going to shell out money for a computer that I may or may not have to trouble shoot because the game isn't compatible with one thing or another.

I would much rather have something that I pop the disc in and play.

YOUR PC experience isn't my PC experience. Thats what people need to remember.
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Radiozo
Evil Dead

Well duh. Everybody knows that a 1000 dollar PC destroys a 400 dollar console.
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiozo View Post
Well duh. Everybody knows that a 1000 dollar PC destroys a 400 dollar console.
MMMMM

Not if you buy that 400 dollar console and spend the remaining 600 on games.

That would leave you with

One PC, or a console with 10 games.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
MMMMM

One PC and about 1000 games, or one console and 10 games.

The price of buying games on PC is so much cheaper than console it's kind of hilarious. Not to mention all the (surprisingly good) free PC games. There are also awful free pc games, but fuck.

One humble bundle could cost you $5 to legitimately own on PC that would cost $15+ to have the exact same games on a console.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
Syl
Evil Dead

that was supposed to say $150+, Not $15+.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Quote:
MMMMM

Ok, I'll bite...

Or you can spend $900 on a PC and $100 on a shit load of awesome games through a Steam sale. I don't think I've picked up a single decent 360 game for $5 unless it was really old. I've had 2 360s red ring on me and plenty of console lockups too. I do like consoles, but many of the PC problems people have can be avoided if they stick to known hardware and simply keep their system clean.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
In your opinion.

There is nothing better for me, sitting behind a desk without my friends and my library of games.

And I am not going to shell out money for a computer that I may or may not have to trouble shoot because the game isn't compatible with one thing or another.

I think this is a very valid point. Im a technician so... troubleshooting isnt a problem for me. I have a lot of friends Ive had to help out because they lack the technical know-how to repair/replace hardware & software.

Ease of use & working out of the box (mostly, nowadays) is a strong feature.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
sethman75
Lord

Quote:
In your opinion.

You heard of a HDMI cable and controller?

Hook one up to your pc and tv and you have the next 2 gens of console right there in your living room.

Especially since steam made it so easy to use
sethman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Hold the fuck up, I haven't even grabbed my coffee yet and already there's PC vs. console battle.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Hold the fuck up, I haven't even grabbed my coffee yet and already there's PC vs. console battle.
There is no battle. There is strengths to both sides. I just dont want you guys thinking your opinion of which is better is the only opinion out there.

They both have their strengths. And honestly, someone already made the point of, if no makes the games for the hardware, whats the point. PS3 fell right into that column this gen. They had superior hardware, and no one made games for it because it was just too hard to develop games on that console, so must games were made on Xbox and ported over.

And plus the guy saying this, look at his background. He makes games that push the envelope in graphics and hardware. Of course he is going to say shit like this.

But no, there is no console vs PC battle going on.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #16
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post
You heard of a HDMI cable and controller?

Hook one up to your pc and tv and you have the next 2 gens of console right there in your living room.

Especially since steam made it so easy to use
Ah yes, you are right, but if my companions dont follow suit, I have a computer hooked up to my television just collecting dust. You are right, I have the power to do it, but if that power is useless, whats the point.

Each person has a different situation. I am not by any means an antisocial gamer. I play a vast number of games with friends. Friends across the states. And none of them, except one, PC games. The rest are on Xbox. So again, that power is about as useful as someone that could shoot spaghetti out of their finger tips.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
One PC and about 1000 games, or one console and 10 games.

The price of buying games on PC is so much cheaper than console it's kind of hilarious. Not to mention all the (surprisingly good) free PC games. There are also awful free pc games, but fuck.

One humble bundle could cost you $5 to legitimately own on PC that would cost $15+ to have the exact same games on a console.
Steam sales, I knew someone was going to bring this up. Of course you could do that. But you will have to wait. I am not opposed to spending the cash on games. But I am opposed to waiting and getting everything spoiled for me because lets face the facts, the internet isn't a friendly place for people that haven't played popular games.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
Syl
Evil Dead

Really? "Hating Spoilers" is your reason to buy a game $60 at launch*?

In that case, go forth and never watch a preview trailer ever!

*Even at launch, PC games are cheaper.

To be honest, if you and all your friends want to pony up $50 a month for xbox live, i guess you might as well get the most use out of it.

I realized that the only game i've actually played online on my 360 in the past year was SSX.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
Syl
Evil Dead

bahh. Stupid lack of editing. $50 a YEAR, not $50 a month. Bleh. I need to pay more attention to what i'm writing. I'm having typo issues today.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
Really? "Hating Spoilers" is your reason to buy a game $60 at launch*?

In that case, go forth and never watch a preview trailer ever!

*Even at launch, PC games are cheaper.

To be honest, if you and all your friends want to pony up $50 a month for xbox live, i guess you might as well get the most use out of it.

I realized that the only game i've actually played online on my 360 in the past year was SSX.
There is plenty of reasons I can justify my purchase at 60 dollars. I have no issue doing it either way. And spoilers are a big deal. I mean, it took what 3 days for Mass Effect 3's ending to become big news? Think if you were only a mere 4 hours into by then because you were busy. Boy, seeing headlines about the bad ending really makes you want to pick up that game now doesn't it.

And I find plenty of value in Xbox Live, if you are only looking on the online gaming, you are only scratching at the surface of Xbox Live. There is plenty of amazing content in their service to justify the cost if you are willing to explore a little bit. Not to mention the security you have compared to PC/PS3.

There is more reasons I have other than that as well, like hackers. The abundance of hackers are greater on the PC than on a console. Not saying we are immune to them because no one really is, but if I can at least limit my contact with them by like half, why the hell not. There is plenty of reasons for this decision, but my reasons are for me and me alone. I am not saying my reasons are the reasons of the many. I just like to point out, everyone has a different situation.

Tags
crysis 3, crytek