Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 11:17 AM
8 Replies, 408 Views

Old 09-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #41
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
Ah okay cool. This is bound to piss off console only gamer fanboys lol.
It did. When they announced it was coming to Xbox at E3, people flipped out.

There won't be any more exclusive Final Fantasy game. They started developing their own engine back in the FF13 days specifically to make it easier to port back and forth between consoles. And more than that, they now realize the profits of going back to the well when new platforms come out, so they're starting to build games with that in mind. They're building the game, now, so you'll be able to play it on your iPhone 12 in a few years.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #42
GammaLeak
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korialstrazs View Post
Uh....that is what Final Fantasy is. Or what the series was known for until ten and thirteen. Each game is a seperate entity, with a completely different story and world. THAT IS WHAT FINAL FANTASY IS.
Yes, they always introduced a new story. But some things remained the same. They were always party-based and turn-based games. They've dropped at least the turn-based part. It's not clear if the party is a real "party" anymore, in the classic sense. Maybe they are.

Also, in the old days it was always Sakaguchi's baby. And Uematsu did the music. Eventually that changed, but at least the core elements were still there.

Now, there's nothing left of this new game that makes it "Final Fantasy" other than that it's made by Square-Enix. And I guess maybe that's the answer. The words "Final Fantasy" no longer tell you who made it or what the gameplay will be like. They just mean, "This is Square-Enix's flagship RPG."

OK. Whatevs. If it's good I'll play it, I guess.
GammaLeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #43
Blackwing
Slacker

Square Enix did not make Bravely Default, that would be Silicon Studio. Square Enix only published the game.
Blackwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #44
Methos
Savior of Boleteria

The last excellent "Final Fantasy" game was called Lost Odyssey. The only JRPGs I consistently play anymore is the Demon/Dark Souls series. The PC is having such a renaissance of the more traditional role playing games of old and I do not see that
changing anytime soon.
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #45
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwing View Post
Square Enix did not make Bravely Default, that would be Silicon Studio. Square Enix only published the game.
I think that's rather irrelevant. Enix has always been historically a publisher of it's own properties as worked on by other studios. Saying Square Enix didn't make Bravely Default is rather like saying they didn't make Dragon Quest 8. Technically true, but functionally irrelevant. It's still a game based on the old Final Fantasy mechanics that sold a ton because people are starving for that type of game.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #46
Anenome
Autarchist

So, before I watch it, let's see if this is as full of generic-yet-wacky characters, crazy silly overwrought FMV, a stupid skeleton "save the world" plot, and ridiculous fighting. Here I go...

Hmm, not nearly as bad as I'd feared. Looks like they even have live-action fighting finally, a direction they've been trying to evolve into for such a long time now it's been painful to watch.

I'm gonna give this one a shot, doesn't look half bad. Assuming it's not some dumb monthly subscription again.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #47
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
This trailer shows PS4 and XB1 logos at the end, so it's definitely not exclusive. It's been strongly suggested that some sort of PC version is in the works too. FFXIII trilogy on Steam, leaked steam database entries, several Square guys saying they'd be interested in a PC version and that it wouldn't be a huge leap, etc.
I'm hoping for the (near) future where I can have every single FINAL FANTASY game on Steam. III, IV, VII, VIII, XI, XIII (1-3) and XIV are already available. I don't think it will be that long till the X and X-2 HD remakes make it over. I have a feeling that an HD version of FFXII International Zodiac Job Edition isn't too far off. (I really hope so.)

I, II, V and VI haven't had polygonal remakes yet so I'm not sure how long it'll take to get them over. I especially want V and VI remade as V has my favorite job system of all the games and VI is my favorite final fantasy overall.

I'm not quite sure whats up with IX. Its never really been touched since it originally launched and that's quite a shame.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:08 AM   #48
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I especially want V and VI remade as V has my favorite job system of all the games and VI is my favorite final fantasy overall.
[RANT]
It's completely beyond me how anyone can like "Final Fantasy V". I played it recently on the Vita in my quest to beat every numbered (offline) FF on at least one system. That game hated me from the beginning to the very end, and I hated it right back! The job system was okay (although ridiculously easy to exploit), but everything else just annoyed the hell out of me: The protagonists, the sidekicks, the story, the eternal grind, the difficulty spikes, the controls (perhaps it's better in other versions, but I found dashing with the thief to be horribly imprecise), random battles EVERY FIVE STEPS, timed events, missable items... In the end, I almost understood why X-Death wanted to get it all over with!
[/RANT]

As for the FFXV trailer, I think it looked amazing, despite the horrible J-pop thing (seriously, I'll take Cloud's hair above any of these too-cool-for-school dudes'). I liked the combat mechanics in "Crisis Core", and this looks like a mix of CC and "Xenoblade Chronicles". Hopefully, there's a Gambit system for the AI companions as well. I'll probably keep repeating this mantra until they make it: My favorite Final Fantasy game would have FFXIII protagonists (minus Vanille), FFVII's antagonists (I hear Square Enix just founded "Shinra Technologies" in New York City:-), the story and skill system of FFX, the combat system from FFXII and the visuals of "Advent Children".

Or just remake FFVII, because that was close to perfection in most regards, and the Materia system was neat.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:33 AM   #49
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
[RANT]
It's completely beyond me how anyone can like "Final Fantasy V". I played it recently on the Vita in my quest to beat every numbered (offline) FF on at least one system. That game hated me from the beginning to the very end, and I hated it right back!
This tends to be the review everyone gives the game. A lot of J-RPG fans nabbed this around the time VII released, which was the heyday of SNES emulation. It was supposedly a game too hard for American audiences. In reality, it is a vapid trudge with less story than FFIV and less gameplay than FFVI. Certainly better than Mystic Quest, which the US got instead, but the tale of a ... guy (I believe that was his entire backstory) that rides a Chocobo and meets some people and does some things couldn't be any more dull.

Last edited by Rommel; 09-22-2014 at 03:44 AM..
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #50
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

The ps versions of FFIV to 1 are shit. Play the OG ones or GBA ones for better lube.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:18 AM   #51
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
The ps versions of FFIV to 1 are shit. Play the OG ones or GBA ones for better lube.
I relied on the internet to get me through some passages (and because I knew early on that I would NOT want to replay the game for stuff I missed), so I read a lot about the GBA port. Problem is, the game still has random enemies that are SUPPOSED to kill you when you encounter them, the story is still the same (albeit with a better translation), you still have to grind to beat the optional bosses, and if I understand correctly, you get even more unkillable special enemies. Besides, loading times on the Vita weren't that long compared to the original PlayStation, so that didn't bother me (much).

To each their own, I guess. Me, I'd play through FFX-2, FFXIII-2 and FFXIII-3 before I'd ever start FFV again (and I'm not particularly looking forward to those three games, either). Fortunately, I've saved FFVI for last, and I'm expecting nothing but great things from it.

[/DERAIL]
Old 09-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #52
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

BS the loading times on FF6 are horrendus even just to go to the menu screen on the Vita. They also had extra dungeons and +game content.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #53
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
BS the loading times on FF6 are horrendus even just to go to the menu screen on the Vita. They also had extra dungeons and +game content.
The weird thing that doesn't get talked about enough regarding Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII is that they are basically the exact same game. I mean, I know that FF is about using the same themes again but with variations on the idea, but FF VI and VII are VERY, VERY similar. I think that's what always irritated me so much when people praised FFVII so much just because it was the first FF game they played. FF VI tended to do most things that FFVI did, but better.

IT's funny, though, to look back at Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 3 (US) and how they were advertised. It's obvious that Square had NO IDEA how to advertise them, and basically did the worst job possible. I can't think of any game marketed worse in my history with videogames.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #54
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

FF7 was similar to FF6 because the original detective approach was completely discarded in favor of a more sci-fi watered down FF6. Also it could have been a Nintendo exclusive lulz.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #55
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
FF7 was similar to FF6 because the original detective approach was completely discarded in favor of a more sci-fi watered down FF6. Also it could have been a Nintendo exclusive lulz.
Apparently some elements of the detective element still exist as CLoud and Avalanche track Sephiroth from murder scene to murder scene before you finally encounter him. More so with the psychotic element.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #56
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Nah, it is more of a "can't stop the mad bad guy until the end" trope that has plagued gaming and stories since the dawn of time.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #57
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

I think it looked awesome. Yeah it's not bravely default but there is bravely second coming out and looks amazing. Also that other game... Zodiac has incredible animations. This looks like a lot of fun. Sucks that there is no female character to choose, would have been great... oh well.

On the topic of final fantasies, I'm still trying to get some strength to finish FFXIII lighting returns. It was good but the back tracking and the going back and forth and the thing that I hated the most: areas that only open at certain times! F that!

Besides, FFXIV is becoming my main game as of late.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy xv, square enix