Last post by PatrickRes9
Today 06:36 AM
25 Replies, 1,274 Views

Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #81
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
As much as I like EvAv it's not a major news site. There is a dedicated group of people here, but it's not affecting the opinion's of large masses of people. WSJ, Time, NYT are all affecting the opinions of masses and they are attacking gamers. It's really surprising how dense you are concerning this subject.
It's not that I'm dense, it's that influence is not power.

Power means the ability to force your will on others. Not a single journalist has power in this context, and the internet is a helluva lot bigger than three or four gaming sites and a dozen or so journalists.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #82
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #83
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
I disagree. Anenome is pragmatic, somewhat of an idealist, and uses clear, simple language to describe complex ideas.

On the internet, however, I see why this makes people uncomfortable.
Yeah if you disregard contradicting yourself left right and center, I suppose that's simple.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:43 AM   #84
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
It's not that I'm dense, it's that influence is not power.

Power means the ability to force your will on others. Not a single journalist has power in this context, and the internet is a helluva lot bigger than three or four gaming sites and a dozen or so journalists.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/power

1pow·er

noun, often attributive \ˈpau̇(-ə)r\ .headword .ld_on_collegiate { margin:10px 0 0 0;padding:0 0 0 19px; width: 405px;} .ld_on_collegiate p {margin:0 0 10px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px; } .ld_on_collegiate p.bottom_entry {margin:0 0 3px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px;} #mwEntryData div.headword .ld_on_collegiate p em, .ld_on_collegiate p em { color: black; font-weight: normal; } #mwEntryData div.headword + div.d { margin-top: -7px; } .ld_on_collegiate .bnote { font-weight: bold; } .ld_on_collegiate .sl, .ld_on_collegiate .ssl { font-style: italic; }
: the ability or right to control people or things
: political control of a country or area
: a person or organization that has a lot of control and influence over other people or organizations

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/influence
1in·flu·ence

noun \ˈin-ˌflü-ən(t)s, especially Southern in-ˈ\ .headword .ld_on_collegiate { margin:10px 0 0 0;padding:0 0 0 19px; width: 405px;} .ld_on_collegiate p {margin:0 0 10px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px; } .ld_on_collegiate p.bottom_entry {margin:0 0 3px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px;} #mwEntryData div.headword .ld_on_collegiate p em, .ld_on_collegiate p em { color: black; font-weight: normal; } #mwEntryData div.headword + div.d { margin-top: -7px; } .ld_on_collegiate .bnote { font-weight: bold; } .ld_on_collegiate .sl, .ld_on_collegiate .ssl { font-style: italic; }
: the power to change or affect someone or something : the power to cause changes without directly forcing them to happen
: a person or thing that affects someone or something in an important way

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...%20engineering
social engineering

noun .headword .ld_on_collegiate { margin:10px 0 0 0;padding:0 0 0 19px; width: 405px;} .ld_on_collegiate p {margin:0 0 10px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px; } .ld_on_collegiate p.bottom_entry {margin:0 0 3px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px;} #mwEntryData div.headword .ld_on_collegiate p em, .ld_on_collegiate p em { color: black; font-weight: normal; } #mwEntryData div.headword + div.d { margin-top: -7px; } .ld_on_collegiate .bnote { font-weight: bold; } .ld_on_collegiate .sl, .ld_on_collegiate .ssl { font-style: italic; }
: the practice of making laws or using other methods to influence public opinion and solve social problems or improve social conditions
Old 09-27-2014, 05:46 AM   #85
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/power

1pow·er

noun, often attributive \ˈpau̇(-ə)r\
: the ability or right to control people or things
: political control of a country or area
: a person or organization that has a lot of control and influence over other people or organizations

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/influence
1in·flu·ence

noun \ˈin-ˌflü-ən(t)s, especially Southern in-:
the power to change or affect someone or something : the power to cause changes without directly forcing them to happen
: a person or thing that affects someone or something in an important way

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...%20engineering
social engineering

noun
: the practice of making laws or using other methods to influence public opinion and solve social problems or improve social conditions
meh it kept the formatting when I was writing it. news article so no editing to fix it. ><
Old 09-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #86
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's not that I'm dense, it's that influence is not power..
You're dense. Or you're using a terrible dictionary. Or both.

Link.

Quote:
So what is Power and Influence?

Power:

Is the potential or ability to influence decisions
and control resources.

Change the behavior of others to perform actions that they might not otherwise perform.
Perhaps we can just call you Gilligan. "It's a boat!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #87
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
You're dense. Or you're using a terrible dictionary. Or both.

Link.

Perhaps we can just call you Gilligan. "It's a boat!"
A change through behavior is not the same as change by forcible actions but it's a gray area depending on the context.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #88
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
A change through behavior is not the same as change by forcible actions but it's a gray area depending on the context.
It is indeed a bit gray. If the two words were drawn as a Venn diagram (intersecting circles), the commonality between them would be a large space, however. They are intertwined (power and influence).

His statement, "It's not that I'm dense, it's that influence is not power," is clearly incorrect. It is far too dogmatic in separating the two.

There is a reason SJWs intentionally place themselves within significant social institutions (the academy, the press, government bureaucracies, the arts and entertainment). The reason is because there is great power/influence on the beliefs of people exercised through those institutions.

As an example, advertisers spend literally hundreds of billions of dollars a year on ads. Why? Because they have great POWER through those ads, POWER to INFLUENCE people's purchasing behaviors. If it didn't work, they wouldn't spend the money.

Once again Anenome buries reality in a blizzard of baloney.
Quote:
Old 09-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #89
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
It is indeed a bit gray. If the two words were drawn as a Venn diagram (intersecting circles), the commonality between them would be a large space, however. They are intertwined (power and influence).

His statement, "It's not that I'm dense, it's that influence is not power," is clearly incorrect. It is far too dogmatic in separating the two.

There is a reason SJWs intentionally place themselves within significant social institutions (the academy, the press, government bureaucracies, the arts and entertainment). The reason is because there is great power/influence on the beliefs of people exercised through those institutions.

As an example, advertisers spend literally hundreds of billions of dollars a year on ads. Why? Because they have great POWER through those ads, POWER to INFLUENCE people's purchasing behaviors. If it didn't work, they wouldn't spend the money.

Nail on the head.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #90
PSPfreak
Banned

After seeing Anenome getting gangbanged in every GamerGate thread for so long I almost can't even remember what GamerGate is about anymore.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #91
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

The ability to influence someone to align their opinion with a certain ideology is indeed power. Do special interest groups not have power that we can see the results of regardless if we like those results or not?

Confusing someone holding a gun to your head, or utilizing the law, to force you to do something as the only real form of power is not reality. If you hold a position that can influence the opinions of people - WSJ, NYT, TIME, etc - then you hold power. If that was not the case, people would not care about stories ran by these organizations that help or hurt certain causes.

Controlling the message is power. This much should be clear. That is what the intent was when they attacked gamers. It was painfully obvious as the articles citing the death of these "bigoted" gamers all popped up as if it was on a nice little schedule - it was. When people are pushing an agenda that has people working within that industry fearful of speaking out because they don't want to lose their job, that is power. That is also force, it is making sure, with the threat of destroying one's professional life, that they will tow the line or simply keep their mouth shut.

When you have the influence to put enough pressure on people to get them to change their game, comics, etc, then you have power. It's irrelevant if you agree with the change or not.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #92
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:

You're just fuzzing the relevant senses of the words.

Power as in 'able to do something (ie :walk)' is not the same as power in a political sense, where it always means the ability to force your decisions on others.

No advertiser can force anyone to buy, thus no advertiser has power in this sense, meaning political power.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #93
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
You're just fuzzing the relevant senses of the words.
Well, since you say so. That clears it up just fine!

* Hope you're catching my drift here, Gilligan.
Quote:
Old 09-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #94
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Academic prostitute blogger brooke magnanti outed as sockpuppeter who smeared other female journalists

Quote:
Dr Brooke Magnanti, a journalist and former scientist, has been accused of creating a fake pseudonymous Twitter account with which to ridicule, criticise and insult other female journalists and promote her own articles and opinions.

Magnanti, a former regular for the Telegraph's online women's section and a regular contributor to the Guardian, is a former sex worker who achieved notoriety in 2009 when she revealed herself as Belle du Jour, a prostitute blogger.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gamergate