Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
The Lion King Rules Over...
Last post by vallor
Today 06:42 PM
15 Replies, 561 Views
HBO Drops First...
Last post by vallor
Today 06:41 PM
19 Replies, 886 Views
The Witcher Netflix...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 04:17 PM
13 Replies, 857 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 11:22 AM
13 Replies, 464 Views
All Aboard the Train to...
Last post by Metal Jesus
Today 11:14 AM
8 Replies, 714 Views
Marvel Unveils Phase 4...
Last post by Mondopest
Today 11:08 AM
21 Replies, 942 Views
Star Trek: Picard | SDCC...
Last post by MADxMrMike
Today 10:41 AM
17 Replies, 1,050 Views
Top Gun: Maverick -...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Today 06:36 AM
25 Replies, 1,274 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #81
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 49,889
Blog Entries: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
As much as I like EvAv it's not a major news site. There is a dedicated group of people here, but it's not affecting the opinion's of large masses of people. WSJ, Time, NYT are all affecting the opinions of masses and they are attacking gamers. It's really surprising how dense you are concerning this subject.
It's not that I'm dense, it's that influence is not power.

Power means the ability to force your will on others. Not a single journalist has power in this context, and the internet is a helluva lot bigger than three or four gaming sites and a dozen or so journalists.
__________________
Choose your government: the majority ruling the minority, the minority ruling the majority, or everyone ruling themselves long as they do not initiate force, fraud, or theft against one another.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #82
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 31,314
Blog Entries: 58
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #83
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
I disagree. Anenome is pragmatic, somewhat of an idealist, and uses clear, simple language to describe complex ideas.

On the internet, however, I see why this makes people uncomfortable.
Yeah if you disregard contradicting yourself left right and center, I suppose that's simple.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:43 AM   #84
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead
 
Kreigmstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunny, FL
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
It's not that I'm dense, it's that influence is not power.

Power means the ability to force your will on others. Not a single journalist has power in this context, and the internet is a helluva lot bigger than three or four gaming sites and a dozen or so journalists.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/power

1pow·er

noun, often attributive \ˈpau̇(-ə)r\ .headword .ld_on_collegiate { margin:10px 0 0 0;padding:0 0 0 19px; width: 405px;} .ld_on_collegiate p {margin:0 0 10px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px; } .ld_on_collegiate p.bottom_entry {margin:0 0 3px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px;} #mwEntryData div.headword .ld_on_collegiate p em, .ld_on_collegiate p em { color: black; font-weight: normal; } #mwEntryData div.headword + div.d { margin-top: -7px; } .ld_on_collegiate .bnote { font-weight: bold; } .ld_on_collegiate .sl, .ld_on_collegiate .ssl { font-style: italic; }
: the ability or right to control people or things
: political control of a country or area
: a person or organization that has a lot of control and influence over other people or organizations

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/influence
1in·flu·ence

noun \ˈin-ˌflü-ən(t)s, especially Southern in-ˈ\ .headword .ld_on_collegiate { margin:10px 0 0 0;padding:0 0 0 19px; width: 405px;} .ld_on_collegiate p {margin:0 0 10px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px; } .ld_on_collegiate p.bottom_entry {margin:0 0 3px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px;} #mwEntryData div.headword .ld_on_collegiate p em, .ld_on_collegiate p em { color: black; font-weight: normal; } #mwEntryData div.headword + div.d { margin-top: -7px; } .ld_on_collegiate .bnote { font-weight: bold; } .ld_on_collegiate .sl, .ld_on_collegiate .ssl { font-style: italic; }
: the power to change or affect someone or something : the power to cause changes without directly forcing them to happen
: a person or thing that affects someone or something in an important way

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...%20engineering
social engineering

noun .headword .ld_on_collegiate { margin:10px 0 0 0;padding:0 0 0 19px; width: 405px;} .ld_on_collegiate p {margin:0 0 10px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px; } .ld_on_collegiate p.bottom_entry {margin:0 0 3px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px;} #mwEntryData div.headword .ld_on_collegiate p em, .ld_on_collegiate p em { color: black; font-weight: normal; } #mwEntryData div.headword + div.d { margin-top: -7px; } .ld_on_collegiate .bnote { font-weight: bold; } .ld_on_collegiate .sl, .ld_on_collegiate .ssl { font-style: italic; }
: the practice of making laws or using other methods to influence public opinion and solve social problems or improve social conditions
__________________
Gamertag: Kreigmstr
Kreigmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:46 AM   #85
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead
 
Kreigmstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunny, FL
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/power

1pow·er

noun, often attributive \ˈpau̇(-ə)r\
: the ability or right to control people or things
: political control of a country or area
: a person or organization that has a lot of control and influence over other people or organizations

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/influence
1in·flu·ence

noun \ˈin-ˌflü-ən(t)s, especially Southern in-:
the power to change or affect someone or something : the power to cause changes without directly forcing them to happen
: a person or thing that affects someone or something in an important way

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...%20engineering
social engineering

noun
: the practice of making laws or using other methods to influence public opinion and solve social problems or improve social conditions
meh it kept the formatting when I was writing it. news article so no editing to fix it. ><
__________________
Gamertag: Kreigmstr
Kreigmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #86
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
It's not that I'm dense, it's that influence is not power..
You're dense. Or you're using a terrible dictionary. Or both.

Link.

Quote:
So what is Power and Influence?

Power:

Is the potential or ability to influence decisions
and control resources.

Change the behavior of others to perform actions that they might not otherwise perform.
Perhaps we can just call you Gilligan. "It's a boat!"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #87
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred
 
Suicidal ShiZuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Right on the Beach
Posts: 10,155
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
You're dense. Or you're using a terrible dictionary. Or both.

Link.



Perhaps we can just call you Gilligan. "It's a boat!"
A change through behavior is not the same as change by forcible actions but it's a gray area depending on the context.
__________________
"This game raped my wife, slaughtered my son and left me for dead."
Suicidal ShiZuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #88
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
A change through behavior is not the same as change by forcible actions but it's a gray area depending on the context.
It is indeed a bit gray. If the two words were drawn as a Venn diagram (intersecting circles), the commonality between them would be a large space, however. They are intertwined (power and influence).

His statement, "It's not that I'm dense, it's that influence is not power," is clearly incorrect. It is far too dogmatic in separating the two.

There is a reason SJWs intentionally place themselves within significant social institutions (the academy, the press, government bureaucracies, the arts and entertainment). The reason is because there is great power/influence on the beliefs of people exercised through those institutions.

As an example, advertisers spend literally hundreds of billions of dollars a year on ads. Why? Because they have great POWER through those ads, POWER to INFLUENCE people's purchasing behaviors. If it didn't work, they wouldn't spend the money.

Once again Anenome buries reality in a blizzard of baloney.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #89
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
It is indeed a bit gray. If the two words were drawn as a Venn diagram (intersecting circles), the commonality between them would be a large space, however. They are intertwined (power and influence).

His statement, "It's not that I'm dense, it's that influence is not power," is clearly incorrect. It is far too dogmatic in separating the two.

There is a reason SJWs intentionally place themselves within significant social institutions (the academy, the press, government bureaucracies, the arts and entertainment). The reason is because there is great power/influence on the beliefs of people exercised through those institutions.

As an example, advertisers spend literally hundreds of billions of dollars a year on ads. Why? Because they have great POWER through those ads, POWER to INFLUENCE people's purchasing behaviors. If it didn't work, they wouldn't spend the money.

Once again Anenome buries reality in a blizzard of baloney.
Nail on the head.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #90
PSPfreak
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,601
After seeing Anenome getting gangbanged in every GamerGate thread for so long I almost can't even remember what GamerGate is about anymore.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #91
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,746
The ability to influence someone to align their opinion with a certain ideology is indeed power. Do special interest groups not have power that we can see the results of regardless if we like those results or not?

Confusing someone holding a gun to your head, or utilizing the law, to force you to do something as the only real form of power is not reality. If you hold a position that can influence the opinions of people - WSJ, NYT, TIME, etc - then you hold power. If that was not the case, people would not care about stories ran by these organizations that help or hurt certain causes.

Controlling the message is power. This much should be clear. That is what the intent was when they attacked gamers. It was painfully obvious as the articles citing the death of these "bigoted" gamers all popped up as if it was on a nice little schedule - it was. When people are pushing an agenda that has people working within that industry fearful of speaking out because they don't want to lose their job, that is power. That is also force, it is making sure, with the threat of destroying one's professional life, that they will tow the line or simply keep their mouth shut.

When you have the influence to put enough pressure on people to get them to change their game, comics, etc, then you have power. It's irrelevant if you agree with the change or not.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Many cultures of the world marry girls off after their first menses, around 13 years old. I can't say that's inherently immoral, no.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #92
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 49,889
Blog Entries: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
It is indeed a bit gray. If the two words were drawn as a Venn diagram (intersecting circles), the commonality between them would be a large space, however. They are intertwined (power and influence).

His statement, "It's not that I'm dense, it's that influence is not power," is clearly incorrect. It is far too dogmatic in separating the two.

There is a reason SJWs intentionally place themselves within significant social institutions (the academy, the press, government bureaucracies, the arts and entertainment). The reason is because there is great power/influence on the beliefs of people exercised through those institutions.

As an example, advertisers spend literally hundreds of billions of dollars a year on ads. Why? Because they have great POWER through those ads, POWER to INFLUENCE people's purchasing behaviors. If it didn't work, they wouldn't spend the money.

Once again Anenome buries reality in a blizzard of baloney.
You're just fuzzing the relevant senses of the words.

Power as in 'able to do something (ie :walk)' is not the same as power in a political sense, where it always means the ability to force your decisions on others.

No advertiser can force anyone to buy, thus no advertiser has power in this sense, meaning political power.
__________________
Choose your government: the majority ruling the minority, the minority ruling the majority, or everyone ruling themselves long as they do not initiate force, fraud, or theft against one another.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #93
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
You're just fuzzing the relevant senses of the words.
Well, since you say so. That clears it up just fine!

* Hope you're catching my drift here, Gilligan.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #94
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 31,314
Blog Entries: 58
Academic prostitute blogger brooke magnanti outed as sockpuppeter who smeared other female journalists

Quote:
Dr Brooke Magnanti, a journalist and former scientist, has been accused of creating a fake pseudonymous Twitter account with which to ridicule, criticise and insult other female journalists and promote her own articles and opinions.

Magnanti, a former regular for the Telegraph's online women's section and a regular contributor to the Guardian, is a former sex worker who achieved notoriety in 2009 when she revealed herself as Belle du Jour, a prostitute blogger.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gamergate

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 PM.