Yesterday 03:59 PM
11 Replies, 994 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-31-2016, 05:45 AM   #21
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
You're gonna eat those words. He's starring, writing, and directing. Some of the worst films of all time come out of that, there's no one to tell him no.
Yeah, because the last time he did that was a complete disaster.

His film certainly didn't win an Oscar or anything.

He did a great job as both Bruce Wayne and Batman. In fact, this was the first time I felt like the character was actually being portrayed on film properly. The costume looked right, the fighting looked right and the actor felt right.

I left BvS wanting a standalone Batman film with this cast. I want to see what Affleck can do when the film is more focused on Gotham, Batman and events more applicable to the character. I hope they expand things and actually feature Nightwing and Robin. Hell, I'm hoping they're putting together an Under the Red Hood film.

I think we're finally going to get the type of Batman movies I've been wanting since Nolan's "realistic" vision clamped on it's death grip. It's possible to feature some of the over-the-top characteristics of the story without sacrificing a serious tone...as they showed in this very movie during the Batman sequences.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #22
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Yeah, because the last time he did that was a complete disaster.

His film certainly didn't win an Oscar or anything.
I saw the movie, did you? It was not a good movie, it was a marginal movie.

We should be so surprised that a film about how Hollywood saved the day and stopped a war, a film that casts Hollywood as the hero and star on the international stage, we should be surprised that this film, this film that was little more than the ultimate ego stroke for everyone working in Hollywood, all these people that want their film to be more than entertainment, to be taken seriously by all and to change things socially, this film that wasn't just the ultimate buttkissing film to everyone in Hollywood but literally tossed their salads, we should be surprised that this film, THIS FILM, won an Oscar? I have one word for you:

https://youtu.be/OKQz5CO-1sI?t=7

Fuck Argo, waste of my money and time. It was ridiculous, implausible fluff.

Quote:
He did a great job as both Bruce Wayne and Batman.
As much as I hate to admit it, he did. Credit where credit is due.

On the other hand, in BvS he didn't have to carry the movie. He was 20% of the film. He might not fare so well with the spotlight on him, ala Dardevil.

Nor did he pick/write/direct the script in BvS.

Quote:
In fact, this was the first time I felt like the character was actually being portrayed on film properly.
He recalled to mind a certain batman we're familiar with, I think he did this consciously. His was the most "Batman the animated series" Batman that I think we've ever seen portrayed. And form many people that Conroy Batman and that look he had there is the quintessential batman, just like Hamill is the quintessential Joker voice.

This guy:

Or perhaps he recalled 60's Batman that I've seen a lot of. Anyway, there was something very familiar about his performance.

And this fact means that he's borrowing a characterization, not creating his own. Probably a good thing, given his history of playing himself in every film, a former fratboy dickhole that everyone loves to hate.

Actually I don't particularly dislike him, I just didn't want him playing Batman. I don't dislike him in other roles, not like I dislike say, James Franco, who I hate in everything :P

Quote:
I left BvS wanting a standalone Batman film with this cast. I want to see what Affleck can do when the film is more focused on Gotham, Batman and events more applicable to the character. I hope they expand things and actually feature Nightwing and Robin. Hell, I'm hoping they're putting together an Under the Red Hood film.
Well, we can only hope for the best. His first outing as batman isn't an unmitigated failure like Daredevil was, but again, in any future batman flick he's not going to have handlers telling him what to do. It takes practically a genius to handle well that level of control.

Look at how the Wachowski-brothers failed with Matrix 2 and 3; they weren't outright failures, but gigantic confused missed opportunities combined with biting off more than they could chew.

Batman is far bigger than Affleck, and I do not trust him with those reins.

Don't tell me he's earned this because Argo. He's never made a real blockbuster. He's never made a film that changed my life or came even close. He's never made a memorable character that will be remembered for the ages. He's no Cary Grant or James Stewart.

Quote:
I think we're finally going to get the type of Batman movies I've been wanting since Nolan's "realistic" vision clamped on it's death grip. It's possible to feature some of the over-the-top characteristics of the story without sacrificing a serious tone...as they showed in this very movie during the Batman sequences.
I had no real issues with Nolan's vision and execution. I'd prefer not to return to PG Batman.

It would be nice to get the Croc in the mix again.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #23
Anemone
Evil Dead

As for Good Will Hunting, he hasn't done shit that good in 15 years, and he co-wrote it with Damon, who arguably has had a better, more interesting career, and also starred in GWH. We don't know how much of that writing credit is simply a gimme to Affleck. Damon might've been the real genius, after all he stars in the film.

GWH would qualify him for one-hit-wonder status. Since then Affleck's done a bunch of fluff goody-goody I'm so handsome BS movies. He hasn't earned helming Batman.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:19 PM   #24
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:

Batman is far bigger than Affleck, and I do not trust him with those reins.

Don't tell me he's earned this because Argo. He's never made a real blockbuster. He's never made a film that changed my life or came even close. He's never made a memorable character that will be remembered for the ages. He's no Cary Grant or James Stewart.
He was good in Argo, Gone Girl and recently Batman v Superman. He was good in other movies too. He certainly has the acting chops to carry a solo Batman film. Bale who many here seem to regard as a good Batman was barely in DK and DKR.

It also would seem he will be carrying most of the first Justice League movie too.

Being Cary Grant or James Stewart (who has been in a few terrible movies himself) is not a requirement to do Batman. Zack Snyder and Co. are finally a group of creators that understand comics and are giving us comic book movies instead of changing Batman into a pussy hound (Nolan) who also kills at least once per movie (Nolan).

Yes -- you can argue all 3 Nolan Batman movies -- Batman's motivation is getting the lady. Batman Begins and Dark Knight -- Rachel, DKR he wants to tap Catwoman. He also kills in all of Nolan's movies. Batman Begins he kills the League of Shadows and Ra's. In Batman Begins he would have also killed his parent's murderer if a contract killer hadn't killed him first. In Dark Knight he kills Two Face. In DKR he kills Talia's goons and Talia.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #25
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
He was good in Argo, Gone Girl and recently Batman v Superman. He was good in other movies too. He certainly has the acting chops to carry a solo Batman film. Bale who many here seem to regard as a good Batman was barely in DK and DKR.

It also would seem he will be carrying most of the first Justice League movie too.

Being Cary Grant or James Stewart (who has been in a few terrible movies himself) is not a requirement to do Batman. Zack Snyder and Co. are finally a group of creators that understand comics and are giving us comic book movies instead of changing Batman into a pussy hound (Nolan) who also kills at least once per movie (Nolan).

Yes -- you can argue all 3 Nolan Batman movies -- Batman's motivation is getting the lady. Batman Begins and Dark Knight -- Rachel, DKR he wants to tap Catwoman. He also kills in all of Nolan's movies. Batman Begins he kills the League of Shadows and Ra's. In Batman Begins he would have also killed his parent's murderer if a contract killer hadn't killed him first. In Dark Knight he kills Two Face. In DKR he kills Talia's goons and Talia.
Agreed. It's objectively false to claim, as Anenome did, that Affleck is a one-hit-wonder.

Quote:
GWH would qualify him for one-hit-wonder status. Since then Affleck's done a bunch of fluff goody-goody I'm so handsome BS movies. He hasn't earned helming Batman.
Since you've conceded that you think Affleck did a great job as both Bruce and Batman despite declaring BVS to be "ruined" due only to Affleck's being cast for to play those roles long before you had a chance to view it, it seems you haven't earned the right to declare who has or hasn't "earned helming Batman."

What do you believe are the requirements for earning the right to helm Batman?
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:21 PM   #26
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Gone Girl
That was a really good, but also quite disturbing, film. Really enjoyed it, but have no desire to see it again.

I've been saying that last bit about a lot of movies lately. LOL, I think the candle's getting short and I don't want to waste any light on repeats.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #27
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Since you've conceded that you think Affleck did a great job as both Bruce and Batman despite declaring BVS to be "ruined" due only to Affleck's being cast for to play those roles long before you had a chance to view it, it seems you haven't earned the right to declare who has or hasn't "earned helming Batman."

What do you believe are the requirements for earning the right to helm Batman?
Honestly, he's the first actor they've picked that truly fit the part, physically. For decades, Batman has been portrayed as a (mostly) realistically huge man. Michael Keaton's 5'10" never really fit the bill. At 6'4" and being built like a brick shithouse, at least Affleck looks like the goddamned Batman.

He's "earned the right" to play a character like this and I think he's competent to work on both sides of the camera for a Batman film. But, let's just keep bringing up Daredevil, since he had oh so much control of that film.

Oh, wait. He didn't have any control over that film at all.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #28
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Ben Affleck's Daredevil was a product of the studio's meddling. The full director's cut is a lot better than the one released in theatre.

Exploring Daredevil
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:03 PM   #29
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Honestly, he's the first actor they've picked that truly fit the part, physically. For decades, Batman has been portrayed as a (mostly) realistically huge man. Michael Keaton's 5'10" never really fit the bill. At 6'4" and being built like a brick shithouse, at least Affleck looks like the goddamned Batman.

He's "earned the right" to play a character like this and I think he's competent to work on both sides of the camera for a Batman film. But, let's just keep bringing up Daredevil, since he had oh so much control of that film.

Oh, wait. He didn't have any control over that film at all.
Agreed.

I'm not personally a fan of Affleck, but feel he did a great job as Batman and Bruce Wayne. I personally think that Affleck had some amount of control in the way Batman was portrayed in BVS; if he has the power to require that he directs a Batman film as part of playing a role, it seems that he'd have the power to say yes or no about particular bits in the movie.

Thus far, this Batman is someone that is absolutely dedicated to goals that require Batman. Even Alfred complains in a scene that he thinks Bruce may be the end of the Wayne line because of this drive. This isn't a Batman that is going to fly off to Europe to live a life with Catwoman, turning over the cowl to a new detective that isn't trained like he, Bruce, was by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:04 PM   #30
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
As for Good Will Hunting, he hasn't done shit that good in 15 years, and he co-wrote it with Damon, who arguably has had a better, more interesting career, and also starred in GWH. We don't know how much of that writing credit is simply a gimme to Affleck. Damon might've been the real genius, after all he stars in the film.

Oh come on man, read what you wrote. It sounds like you have it out for him so much that you are TRYING to belittle his accomplishments.

I mean obviously none of us know him and what he deserves credit for and what he doesn't, but we at least have to be rationally neutral.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:24 PM   #31
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Oh come on man, read what you wrote. It sounds like you have it out for him so much that you are TRYING to belittle his accomplishments.

I mean obviously none of us know him and what he deserves credit for and what he doesn't, but we at least have to be rationally neutral.
When have you known Anenome to be rational about anything?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:30 PM   #32
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
He was good in Argo
I prefer the word passable or even acceptable. He did not wow me in that movie, not like how Dicaprio wowed in Revenant. He played a version of himself, and can competently act. That's about I can say for him, that he's not a complete embarrassment. He's not as bad as The Room.

Quote:
He was good in Argo
Gone Girl [/quote]
Played himself.

Quote:
He was good in Argo
and recently Batman v Superman. [/quote]
The most 'not himself' acting I've ever seen him do, but again, he wasn't carrying that film on his back the way he will have to in a real batman movie.

Quote:
He was good in Argo
He certainly has the acting chops to carry a solo Batman film. [/quote]
It's not the acting chops I'm so much worried about, it's the amount of power he has to determine everything about an upcoming batman film as writer, director, lead actor.

Let me put it this way, does anyone imagine that Affleck can create a batman movie, or write a batman movie, that is ANYWHERE near the awesome script and performance of Dark Knight?

Never. Never in a lifetime.

Just watch, his "awesome idea" for a batman flick will be who knows what and fall short, conceptually.

Quote:
Bale who many here seem to regard as a good Batman was barely in DK and DKR.
If you say so. I still say he had the real world demeanor and darkness to play Batman authentically, and I just don't think Affleck does.

Quote:
Yeah, pity. It would be a shame if he destroyed the franchise again. Low chance of happening, but more of a risk when you give someone this much power to determine movie direction.

Quote:
Being Cary Grant or James Stewart (who has been in a few terrible movies himself) is not a requirement to do Batman.
Not saying it is, just saying Affleck isn't some amazing actor. He's a normal actor. He's good enough. He gets the job done. He's no Heath Ledger, no Christian Bale, no Johnny Depp, no Jack Nicholson. All iconic actors.

Affleck is the personification of fluff, a living solo-boyband.

Again, hope I'm wrong because I'd like to see a good batman flick come out of this.

Quote:
Zack Snyder and Co. are finally a group of creators that understand comics and are giving us comic book movies instead of changing Batman into a pussy hound (Nolan) who also kills at least once per movie (Nolan).

That's fine, Hollywood thinks it needs a leading lady role to give women an excuse to see the film and broaden the audience.

Do you really think Affleck will be immune to such pressures?

Affleck's idea of an "awesome concept" for a batman movie might be something as lame as letting us experience more of his life as Bruce Wayne. Or "what if batman married catwoman." Ugh.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:32 PM   #33
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post

Apart from GWH or Argo name a film he's done. Nothing comes to mind.

In 15 years.

Like I said, I don't dislike the guy, I only don't think he's the right guy to play batman, much less helm the production.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:39 PM   #34
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Apart from GWH or Argo name a film he's done. Nothing comes to mind.

In 15 years.

Like I said, I don't dislike the guy, I only don't think he's the right guy to play batman, much less helm the production.
Well, I mean, maybe I'm not the guy to ask that question to. As someone who follows Kevin Smith films, I recognize Affleck for being in all of his View Askew films more than I do something like Argo. But, like I said, I didn't revile Daredevil. I know him from Chasing Amy and Good Will Hunting. I think MOST people would immediately say they know him from Pearl Harbor. People of that generation anyhow. And then there's the Affleck Renaissance of Argo, Gone Girl and The Town, which all won awards.

Yes he spent a while flopping around trying to rebuild his career after Gigli, and those films were forgettable, but it's hardly a one-hit wonder. If for no other reason than he has his foot is so many different places.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:08 PM   #35
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Again, hope I'm wrong...
There's a pretty good chance of that. Have hope!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #36
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Affleck's idea of an "awesome concept" for a batman movie might be something as lame as letting us experience more of his life as Bruce Wayne. Or "what if batman married catwoman." Ugh.
Haha! You do know that's pretty much the ending of the Nolan series that you appear to adore, right? Yes, the ending of the Nolan series shows Bruce handing off the role of Batman to an newly minted detective who doesn't have near the training he had so he could run off with Catwoman.

Quote:
It's not the acting chops I'm so much worried about, it's the amount of power he has to determine everything about an upcoming batman film as writer, director, lead actor.

Let me put it this way, does anyone imagine that Affleck can create a batman movie, or write a batman movie, that is ANYWHERE near the awesome script and performance of Dark Knight?

Never. Never in a lifetime.
Yes, there is a chance Affleck could make be largely responsible for a great Batman movie script -- a subjective thing. Yes, it's quite possible, but not knowing any real details about the film means that making such a judgement, as you are, is blindly doing so. Also, if you're unaware, others are able to give Affleck their input on the script.

Yes, it's quite possible, but not knowing any real details about the film means that making such a judgement, as you are, is blindly doing so.

You stated you believed Affleck did a great job as both Bruce and Batman. With that in mind, here you go:
Quote:
According to a source who spoke with US Weekly, Ben Affleck reportedly made adjustments to the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice script while garbed as Gotham City’s shadowy vigilante. According to them:
[Affleck] would go into wardrobe and get all suited up for the day in his Batman suit. Then he would sit around reworking the script. Ben wasn’t thrilled with it, and would find himself on multiple occasions fixing it the day of.
Quote:
Just watch, his "awesome idea" for a batman flick will be who knows what and fall short, conceptually.
Haha. Read what you posted here. You have zero idea what the script will be based around, but you are claiming it's doom. Gee, it's almost like you already did that for BVS and turned out to be completely, according to your own words, wrong.

Quote:
If you say so. I still say he had the real world demeanor and darkness to play Batman authentically, and I just don't think Affleck does.
You just posted today that you thought Affleck did a "great job" as both Bruce and Batman. Great includes not playing Batman "authentically"?

I'm not a fan of Affleck, personally, but I'm not going to allow that to hold a personal vendetta that turns into hating a movie I know nothing about like you are.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:15 AM   #37
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Fuck Argo, waste of my money and time. It was ridiculous, implausible fluff.

http://qz.com/293887/the-cia-finally...y-behind-argo/
Old 04-01-2016, 05:53 AM   #38
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

I thought Argo was overrated but I still stand by my opinion that The Town was surprisingly well made. I used to hate Ben Affleck but he changed my mind.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #39
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA

That is exactly how DKR ended. What movies did you watch? DKR ends with Bale leaving Gotham, leaving "The Batman" and enjoying his life as a ghost with Catwoman. Congrats, you already got the movie you are trying to blame Affleck for maybe creating and you apparently LOVED it.

The Nolan movies were not Comic Book Batman movies. In the Nolan-verse he became Batman more for Rachel than his parents (Rachel is the one that after his failed murder attempt showed him the city). He didn't give two shits about Wayne Enterprise (Morgan Freeman (Mr. Fox) ran the company) and he QUIT being Batman for 6 years and quit on Gotham city (company quit donating, quit going out, etc...)

Affleck did pretty much a 1:1 of the Comic Book Batman. BvS is the first movie to show him being a caring business man, running a successful company, being a playboy, being a detective, being smart with tech (creating weapons, understanding kryptonite) and being one bad ass Batman. It also showed that Batman is also a psycho.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #40
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Affleck did pretty much a 1:1 of the Comic Book Batman. BvS is the first movie to show him being a caring business man, running a successful company, being a playboy, being a detective, being smart with tech (creating weapons, understanding kryptonite) and being one bad ass Batman. It also showed that Batman is also a psycho.
While Bruce Wayne/Batman may be a psychopath, it doesn't mean he's "crazy", suffers from a psychosis or is a "psycho". Whether you classify him as a psychopath or a sociopath, he's certainly high-functioning.

Psychology Today has an interesting article covering the differences between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychology Today
Psychopaths, on the other hand, are unable to form emotional attachments or feel real empathy with others, although they often have disarming or even charming personalities. Psychopaths are very manipulative and can easily gain people’s trust. They learn to mimic emotions, despite their inability to actually feel them, and will appear normal to unsuspecting people. Psychopaths are often well educated and hold steady jobs. Some are so good at manipulation and mimicry that they have families and other long-term relationships without those around them ever suspecting their true nature.

When committing crimes, psychopaths carefully plan out every detail in advance and often have contingency plans in place. Unlike their sociopathic counterparts, psychopathic criminals are cool, calm, and meticulous. Their crimes, whether violent or non-violent, will be highly organized and generally offer few clues for authorities to pursue. Intelligent psychopaths make excellent white-collar criminals and "con artists" due to their calm and charismatic natures.
So, yeah...I think it's safe to say that Batman tends to feature some psychopathic tendencies, but he's also been portrayed as having pretty strong legitimate emotional attachments and a strong sense of morals, as well. He's definitely damaged, but I'd hesitate to slap the pretty lazy "crazy" label on him.

Tags
batman, batman v superman