Today 01:38 AM
4 Replies, 333 Views

Old 05-24-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Detroit: Become Human Reviews "Rough, ham-fisted writing"

GamesRadar - 4.5/5

Quote:
Ultimately, then, Detroit: Become Human is a game with grand ideals, wonderful levels of polish, and tiny imperfections. Itís an ambitious, wonderfully executed piece of storytelling, and one of the most interesting games of this generation. It will split opinion, and give birth to a litany of opinion pieces - some deep and thoughtful, others half-baked and sensationalist. This spark for discussion alone makes the game a success in its own right. And, yeah, itís likely to cause a few tears along the way too.
Game Informer - 8/10

Quote:
Detroit made me think about topics I've avoided about humanity and our future, and that's a good thing. These are hard issues to explore, and I'm glad Quantic Dream took on the challenge knowing it could result in failure. Detroit both succeeds and stumbles in that area. Its biggest assets are the relationship building and expansive branching paths. I keep coming back to explore its variations. Not only are they fascinating, but I cared about where I left these characters. The overall message about technology and our future lingers long after the credits roll, making me wonder how I'll handle my relationship with technology as it takes us to new places.
USgamer - 3.5/5

Quote:
Detroit: Become Human is still marred by some of the issues that plague previous Quantic Dream games. Rough, ham-fisted writing and story pacing that's thrown off at times by the playable sections. I'm also pretty sure that most folks are going to get one of the more unsatisfying endings their first time around. But I like the characters, which more than I could say for the last two games. And when I finished the game, I wanted to jump back in and try out some other choices. Quantic Dream is getting better, even if Detroit: Become Human not on par with some of the better visual novels out there.
GameSpot - 7/10

Quote:
Despite being built for multiple playthroughs, it's difficult to imagine jumping back in to fix "mistakes" or exhaust every possible outcome for the sake of completionism. I played with my best intentions. Things didn't always go the way I wanted, but that was a burden I chose to bear, and the story benefitted from my commitment, flowcharts be damned. After completing the game, I tried to go back and fight my instincts to see what would happen if I chose a darker path. It never felt justified nor worthwhile. Detroit is well worth playing, but it struggles to strike the right balance between giving you freedom of choice and reminding you that it's all a game in the end. Cage and Quantic Dream are getting closer to nailing this style of game, but it's obvious that there's still room to grow.
VideoGamer - 4/10

Quote:
Detroit: Become Human wants to move you. It wants to elicit an emotional response through its story. The thing is, it really doesn't. The flowchart is a nice inclusion and adds some variance, but when the narrative is as cringey and ham-fisted as it is you won't want to play through it multiple times.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I like that two reviewers both chose to describe the story telling as “ham fisted”.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

David Cage and ham-fisted are parts of the same coin. Can't have one without the other.

As for the reviews, I really don't care what they say. I have always enjoyed his games in a "rage hate" kind of way. It's like watching a bad movie but coming out of it impressed by just how badly they were able to execute the project. They are an unplanned failure. There is genius in that.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

All of these "games" are the reason I'm glad YouTube playthrough videos exist.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

I think something is lost when you just watch a video playthrough. The game is around QTEs which you are not a part of when watching someone play the game. I have a similar issue when people watch a movie on a portable device. The lack of the "theater" experience completely changes the "feel".

I would never sit down and watch a playthrough of a David Cage movie, but I will spend the hours necessary to play one.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I've enjoyed Indigo Prophecy & Heavy Rain... but never really loved them either. This is going to be a wait to buy for me. Maybe at $40
Old 05-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Oh no.... I thought it would maybe have evolved BEYOND the gameplay of BEYOND. I spent oodles on the Digital Deluxe edition.

Cage has now become Molyneux on steroids it sounds like.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

I don't know. David Cage definitely over estimates how good his writing is, but I don't think he has ever over represented how his games would play. He is perfectly comfortable making interactive choose your own adventure novels.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #9
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

I'll get it. I liked Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain at the time, and mostly liked Beyond. I haven't been interested nor following Detroit, but now that I hear it's another one of those, I know what I'm getting which should be fun for a playthrough.

Go Against the Flow.

Xbox/Steam: Inkabodcrane
Current rig: i7 6700, GTX 1080 ti, 32 gb DDR4
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #10
Exodus
Evil Dead

I loved heavy rain. Call me disappointed when I saw some of the dialogue responses though.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:01 AM   #11
Korolev
Soul Reaper

I liked Heavy Rain. Beyond: Two Souls on the other hand, was all over the place and felt wildly inconsistent.

Either way, this new one should be great for streamers and YouTubers to have a good laugh at.
Korolev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #12
NightRain
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I've enjoyed Indigo Prophecy & Heavy Rain... but never really loved them either. This is going to be a wait to buy for me. Maybe at $40
I feel the same and haven't played Beyond Two Souls yet.

I'm getting this only because I pre-ordered from Amazon Canada last E3 for $39.99 CAD (around $31 USD). I'll have to wait a few days for it to be shipped but that isn't a big deal.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Detroit: Become Murdered. lol.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detroit: become human, quantic dream