Anthem gets Neill...
Last post by vallor
Yesterday 11:26 PM
19 Replies, 1,377 Views

Old 02-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Anthem gets Neill Blomkamp-directed Live-Action Short

Coming February 14, watch a live-action short from the mind of Neill Blomkamp set in the rich world of BioWare’s Anthem.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

This is awesome, I have all of the other OATS studios videos, adding to the calendar!
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Can anyone confirm NO RAIDS?
Old 02-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

They've been very careful not to use the term "Raid", so yah no raids in the strictest sense.

They have said there will be "aspirational content" soon after release, but I don't think they'll ever come close to actual raiding due to matchmaking for everything.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Yeah, developers have confirmed there is no loot tables in the game. This more Diablo and Phantasy Star Online than Destiny.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Oh for sure. Hell even the demo was more Diablo than Destiny.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

This will be available to watch in about an hour.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I’m reading that I kinda dodged a bullet with this one, that the full game is pretty much just as boring as the Beta test was.

What a shame, I had hoped this would be a nice filler until something else came out.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
AlfredT
Evil Dead

So just to clarify, the 3min 45s clip is the full Trailer right.. the first vid was a trailer for the trailer?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Yes, but it's not really a "trailer". The thing being shown is all that exists.

It's just a dumb "What if Neill Blomkamp was making an Anthem movie or short? This is what a trailer for that project may look like...".
Old 02-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #11
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I’m reading that I kinda dodged a bullet with this one, that the full game is pretty much just as boring as the Beta test was.

What a shame, I had hoped this would be a nice filler until something else came out.

Spoilers in this one:

Old 02-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Spoilers in this one:

Yeah I don't want to say I told you so based on my short time with the demo (cutting out sound issues and all!) but I told you so. Evil you stated it well, def dodged a bullet on this one. In 6 months it could be great who knows.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I started playing a decent amount Friday night, and despite my first impression with the beta, I've been having a hoot. You might remember I was pretty down on the game after my time in the beta.

The gunplay seems stronger than the beta test showed, the enemies seem a little bland (but I've only gotten to level 12). Configuration for your suit seems pretty decent and even better I have found none of the Bioware SJW-ness from the last 5 - 10 years.

I may write a more robust review later but I've been having quite a bit of fun.

The server issues are big issues, but the HUD is one of the worst issues. It is horrid, and perhaps the worst I've seen in a game for... well I can't even remember how long it's been since I've had a need to see as much information and been denied thanks to the HUD. Nodes, enemies, important pickups are not even anywhere on your HUD and even Enemies have only basic representation on the compass.

I could rebut the MarcoStyle video above but I don't have the time. Especially when he's talking about the loading screens, which are long BUT... For example he talks about the story mode missions loading and everything instead of just letting the viewer know there is a Freeplay mode which lets him into the open world with no loading screens, nothing, where you can play as long as you want without interruption.

Last edited by vallor; 02-18-2019 at 03:01 PM..
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I started playing a decent amount Friday night, and despite my first impression with the beta, I've been having a hoot. You might remember I was pretty down on the game after my time in the beta.

The gunplay seems stronger than the beta test showed, the enemies seem a little bland (but I've only gotten to level 12). Configuration for your suit seems pretty decent and even better I have found none of the Bioware SJW-ness from the last 5 - 10 years.

I may write a more robust review later but I've been having quite a bit of fun.

The server issues are big issues, but the HUD is one of the worst issues. It is horrid, and perhaps the worst I've seen in a game for... well I can't even remember how long it's been since I've had a need to see as much information and been denied thanks to the HUD. Nodes, enemies, important pickups are not even anywhere on your HUD and even Enemies have only basic representation on the compass.

I could rebut the MarcoStyle video above but I don't have the time. Especially when he's talking about the loading screens, which are long BUT... For example he talks about the story mode missions loading and everything instead of just letting the viewer know there is a Freeplay mode which lets him into the open world with no loading screens, nothing, where you can play as long as you want without interruption.
Seems from alot of the commentary on the youtubes that you'll spend like 40% of your time in loading screens, from going into missions, to tweaking your build, to doing basically anything is preceded by a loading screen. That isn't good design, in contrast The Division 2 has pretty much zero loading screens at all. Does Anthem use Frostbite? It seems Bioware has an extremely hard time developing with that engine, hell there are still bugs in Dragon Age Inquisition 4 years later that are still not fixed and likely never will be, also uses Frostbite. Also from what I've seen the content is extremely repetitive awful quick at that.

To be honest I wouldn't mind playing it just to see the story but I think I'll wait a while for a price drop and hopefully some bug fixes. The sound issue I got a couple times in the demo where the sound completely cut out and would come in and out with static apparently is in the full build as well. For a AAA title those kind of bugs are inexcusable. Definitely a wait and see game for me. Glad you're enjoying it though Vallor.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #15
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I watch a lot of Bellular's videos as I like his take on things. His latest is an analysis on EA and Frostbite. I found it to be worth watching:
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Totally agree with that video, I've worked in companies who crippled themselves pushing silly initiatives and platforms rather than doing the right thing for each project.

Proprietary engines used to be seen as an Asset, but these days with a focus on speed and continuous integration/continuous delivery unless you have 100 super high end tech people working on your engine and giving you constant builds you are TOO SLOW.

Your fancy pants engine is just dragging your projects into the ground. And in the case of Anthem, which I enjoy a lot, it is clear where the engine limitations start.

And this is the engine in a fairly "mature" state after all the bullshit from the titles it killed in production.

That said middleware engines have their own problems too, particularly when it doesn't have the features you want or need, or when you need to get down to the metal for optimization BUT at least you don't have to support a super large team to enable that expertise.

Sometimes they can be slow to come out with the latest tech which leaves your games behind the 8-ball, and sometimes they can break more than they fix with their updates.

For example, I remember when Unity decided they were going to redo the WHOLE lighting system in an early 5.x update and screwed up entire projects who spent a ton of time relighting whole scenes only to have Unity undo the change months later forcing the same studios to go back and re-light every scene AGAIN!

But usually the risks and costs of having to support your own engine are way higher...

Consider MOST companies may ship a game once every three years. That means whatever engine you own/are working on, is only going to pay out for 2 or 3 games before it is old tech and really shows it's age without a lot of bubble gum and bailing wire patching. EA and some other big companies may have more volume but not many but anyone else is more than likely better off spending their resources licensing an engine and getting new versions than paying a bunch of people to maintain an antiquated proprietary engine.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:35 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

At the last second I ordered Anthem. It’s a bit on the expensive side even with my AmEx points, but I figured I deserved it because I’ve been cleaning out all my old toys and books and junk.

I set a ton of stuff out on the curb on Saturday, which is kinda yard sale day here in the city and it just disappeared in seconds. I set out an Atari 2600 and like 50 games, a giant box of Star Trek trading cards, some crutches from when I was injured at work (law enforcement can be dangerous, eh?) and a few more things and they all just disappeared.

Then I took a ton of old clothes and books to Goodwill. I’m making progress on stripping down all my junk to just current games (PS3, Xbo 360, PS4) and the few LEGO sets I have displayed. I also have a giant book of every Stephen King book and another shelf of signed stuff.

I’m getting there! If anyone wants any old PC games and wants to pay for the shipping I’ve got a bunch. No boxes, just the games and the manuals.
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

You know your 6 years in dev AAA title is in trouble and likely your studio's future when even IGN gives it a 6.5
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #19
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
You know your 6 years in dev AAA title is in trouble and likely your studio's future when even IGN gives it a 6.5
I've got about 30 hours in Anthem now. It isn't grinding hours like these reviewers obviously have in order to get to the end game/grandmaster area (unless they are twinked by Bioware/EA, in which case I question if they are doing a fair review at all) but just regular run around and learn the game casual gameplay hours.

I agree with most of what this review says. Especially with how awesome the combat feels.

I would like to add though I'm getting a bit pissed how many people continue to ignore the value of free play mode. They keep harping on the story and how limited they are on the story mode and loading between story missions and blah blah blah but there's almost no mention of how free play mode allows you to avoid some of these problems.

Free play has it's own problems. Like the lack of any real public events (I miss Destiny 2's simple map and count down system!) and the lower overall loot and mob density (again, nod to Destiny 2 for this!), the lower experience available, and how some of the problems in the main game cascade to the free play (like not being able to change loadouts) making it much harder than it needs to be.

I was in one area, sort of like one of those Lost Sectors in Destiny 2, but I didn't have a great loadout. I was missing a big hitter like a sniper rifle and since you can't change loadouts without going back into Fort Tarsis it took me 3x longer to clear it solo than it should have.

Also, there was no obvious chest or loot at the end like there would have been in Destiny 2. I guess I either missed it or if there was going to be loot it would have dropped off an elite, which seemed really stingy to me.

The game is still keeping me entertained it's a 3.5 "Evil Avatar Eyes" game in the current state.

It is worth a month of EA Premier, but I feel bad for those who got suckered into buying the $100+ versions.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #20
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

After playing for another few hours I am going to revise my score down to 2.5 "Evil Eyes" on the weakness of the UI and HUD. It is like intern Becky designed it.

Really simple stuff like not being able to skip dialog.

I am not sure why they couldn't be assed to do a better job than they did on the UI but the fact I have to drill down multiple levels to do simple things like find equipment for a particular slot, and in several places (where I need to) I can't compare equipment to what I'm wearing. You can't examine equipment you pick up in a mission, and you can't manage all your Exosuits in one screen.

You can see what you have equipped on them but you can't take it off and equip something better! You have to save your current suit, then load into the OTHER suit and equip it there. And yes, this does mean multiple load screens.

The HUD is one of the absolute WORST I've ever seen; their radar for finding items is so bad it almost feels like it shouldn't be there. I don't expect things to be handed to me but in a game with 6-degrees of freedom and big levels you need a little better than "hotter/colder".

I keep going back to Destiny 2 as a comparison, because it wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but it nailed these basics and then put decent gameplay on top of it. Anthem has solid gameplay but totally fucks up the basics. It reminds me of the first Mass Effect in a way. Things were amazing despite the fact that so many of the foundational game systems and elements were so, so bad.

I mean the inventory, loading, and support systems in the first Mass Effect were awful at launch (and beyond). If you don't think so you are wearing rose colored glasses.

This is really, really bad. I mean, really bad. I can't stress enough the frustration this brings as I now have three suits I am trying to keep geared with up-to-date weapons so I can play with the versatility my playing time has unlocked!

Tags
anthem