The Dark Pictures...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Yesterday 09:17 AM
4 Replies, 532 Views

Old 06-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Men in Black & Shaft Become Newest Box Office Bombs

Get woke, go broke. Both of Hollywood's newest emasculated sequels Men in Black International and Shaft crashed and burned at the box office, with Men in Black heading for a $100+ Million loss for Sony.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice for the weekend of June 14th to June 16th, 2019.
  1. Men in Black International $28.5/$28.5
  2. The Secret Life of Pets 2 $23.8/$92.0
  3. Aladdin $16.7/$263.4
  4. Dark Phoenix $9.0/$51.7
  5. Rocketman $8.8/$66.1
  6. Shaft $8.3/$8.3
  7. Godzilla: King of the Monsters $8.1/$93.6
  8. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum $6.1/$148.6
  9. Late Night $5.1/$5.4
  10. Ma $3.6/$40.3
  11. Avengers: Endgame $3.5/$830.4
  12. The Dead Don't Die $2.3/$2.3
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

The original 2000 Shaft did 70 million on a 46 million budget, who in their right mind thought that justified making a sequel? Because Samuel L Jackson is Nick Fury now? As for MIB, MIB3 did do much better but it did have Will Smith in it for which the movie franchise was known for, and most people who saw it seemed to agree it was an awful piece of shit. So what made them think making another one was a good idea? Because Hemsworth is Thor and Thompson is Valkyrie? /facepalm Good news for Universal though, thanks to them The Secret Life of Pets 2 seems to have made a profit.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I'm not saying that they have no chemistry but it's not like Thor and Valkyrie was some sort of unforgettable duo. Maybe they were just taking a chance that it would somehow really click.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

What happened to The Dead Don't Die this weekend? The release date was 6/14 and the Regal Cinema near me had a big poster for it in the lobby. However, it only opened in some tiny theater way across the way and that's it. Limited release art-house film? Fine, but then why would Regal advertise it and then not show it?
Old 06-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #5
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

I don't view the original Men In Black series as some example of big dick energy, sorry. That's any Schwarzenegger movie. MiB had swagger (Mr. Smith), old-school cool (Mr. Jones), and Danny Elfman, who I wouldn't call a man's man if we are framing this in terms of emasculation.

It had a lot more going for it than a modern culture reading of derivative works not living up to the majesty of their origins. Ghostbusters, Robocop, etc. We need new, modern stories about the current era, not rehashings of 80s properties to try and recapture lightning in a bottle. I don't think we'll get there with the emphasis on big brands, intellectual properties, shared universes, etc. over something more real and relatable.

Movies might have gotten too big.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The original Men in Black was practically perfect and they never should have tried sequels. I barely noticed a new one came out.
Mad Max RW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

The original Men In Black had Will Smith? Who cares? The original Men In Black had Rip Torn in it. THAT is what made it cool!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #8
Crenor
Reaper

I want to see it, but I have spent my movie budget already as well as the kids have exams so they cannot go out right now. Bad timing, still recovering from the hits that already came out.
Crenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I haven't seen it. I don't like they are trying to force feed Tessa whats-her-face and Hemsworth as a power-duo since I don't think they have any chemistry that I can tell, I thought he had more going on with Natalie Portman which was ice cold fish version of attraction.

I like they tried to expand the movie universe but the trailer didn't seem like it had any purpose or story. Just a lot of CGI.

I don't blame it for the toss-away line about people in black or humans in black. That was a dumb, tongue in cheek tossed out answer given to a question by a reporter, not necessarily a position Tessa whats-her-face was taking.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Thompson. Or, what Stan Lee would give as a last name to a character named Tessa.

The main doubt I had with knowing 100% that Tessa Thompson was Tessa Thompson was because, honest-to-god, I thought Tessa Thompson referred to someone who looked like Cate Blanchett or Meryl Streep. Willowy white actress known for playing dignified women or something. Her name is sticky.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I like Hemsworth and Thompson, but the way the media has been positioning this as some kind of girl-power movie just totally turned me off any chance of going to see Men in Black.

I don't care if the movie has a female lead or not, I'm totally down with going to see Anna, but I don't need it pushed in my face as some kind of agenda. That just makes me save my money.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Thompson. Or, what Stan Lee would give as a last name to a character named Tessa.

The main doubt I had with knowing 100% that Tessa Thompson was Tessa Thompson was because, honest-to-god, I thought Tessa Thompson referred to someone who looked like Cate Blanchett or Meryl Streep. Willowy white actress known for playing dignified women or something. Her name is sticky.
Do you watch movies only based on the color of the actors in them? What a weird fucking comment.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #13
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Do you watch movies only based on the color of the actors in them? What a weird fucking comment.
No, but I do have certain names generate certain images based on a lifetime of social conditioning. Not to mention being subject to an entire industry of mainstream film and comedy playing into stereotypes as shorthand exposition for efficient delivery, like a bad guy with a scar over his eye.

You mean to tell me you don't as I leap into judgment based on one comment? What a fucking weirdo you are!

Jimmy Li, Albert Weinstein, Denzel Jefferson, Cesar Rodriguez. Here's a more abstract one: Pink Elephant.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Thompson is hardly a gender/background defining surname, you then go on to rattle off absolute extreme background defining surnames trying to make a point.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #15
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

And? Is the point made? Since that was the goal? I am trying to get something across to you to explain what happened with me. I'm not monologuing to no one while you offer the play-by-play like I'm on the football team you hope loses. Point being that hearing "Tessa Thompson," *to me*, generated that image.

If you aren't interested in where I am coming from and just want to throw tomatoes like the ethnocentrist you are acting like, fine, just say as such that it's your view, definition, and meaning on things that matters and nothing else. Everything else is different / other / wrong / not to be understood. At least then I will know to outright ignore you and anything you have to say.

Fucking weirdo. Right? That how you do things?
Old 06-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Tessa Thompson generated Wendy Whitebread to you? What Tessa can only be a white name? How racist! Find a different way to try and virtue signal, you just failed miserably at it.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #17
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

No virtue signalling here, buddy. Just calling your responses shit, insensitive, and toxic. Not a question of right and wrong, but the effect you are having on another person. I don't like how you're treating me. My responses are to that effect.

There, made it simple, loud, and clear for you. You are a smart guy, you're on the internet after all, I think you can separate the expectation of acting decent and respectable towards other people from acting virtuous.

So go ahead. Show some balls and say you don't care. Own it and tell me how you really feel. Because you have been a fucking coward up to this point.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
No virtue signalling here, buddy. Just calling your responses shit, insensitive, and toxic. Not a question of right and wrong, but the effect you are having on another person. I don't like how you're treating me. My responses are to that effect.

There, made it simple, loud, and clear for you. You are a smart guy, you're on the internet after all, I think you can separate the expectation of acting decent and respectable towards other people from acting virtuous.

So go ahead. Show some balls and say you don't care. Own it and tell me how you really feel. Because you have been a fucking coward up to this point.
LOL do you need a safe space and a towel to dry your eyes? Oh you poor triggered little progressive snowflake, oh BOOHOO someone call Oprah!

Old 06-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #19
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I like Hemsworth and Thompson, but the way the media has been positioning this as some kind of girl-power movie just totally turned me off any chance of going to see Men in Black.

I don't care if the movie has a female lead or not, I'm totally down with going to see Anna, but I don't need it pushed in my face as some kind of agenda. That just makes me save my money.
Yeah, I don't think the producers or even the actors did that. I think the media took it and tried to run with the Girl Power side which is what sunk it.

Here's the actual exchange which have everyone's panties in a bunch:

Quote:
Men In Black: International star Tessa Thompson offered praise for the film's increased focus on its female castmembers at a red carpet event for the film, confessing somewhat jokingly that she even pitched the idea of changing the name from "Men in Black" to something more gender-inclusive - though Thompson says she never landed on a great idea.

"I pitched a few ideas," Thompson said of changing the title away from relying on the word 'Men', to reflect the gender-diverse nature of the cast. "I pitched 'People In Black,' but that's P.I.B. and that sounds like a sandwich!"

"Then I pitched Humans In Black, but that's H.I.B. and that's ... it sounds like something you don't want to get," Thompson explained, implying a similarity to the acronym H.I.V. "I don't know, we'll see. I think we could maybe change the name at some point, but the truth is [the presence of women in the movie] is really significant, and I hope we can get to the space where it's not noteworthy when women topline [sci-fi and genre] films. And I think a film like this helps us get there."
Unfortunately because the Media on the proggies pitched this throwaway exchange as "Wow, go go GRRRL power!" and the extreme on the right took it as the second coming of Brie Larson the movie suffered for it despite any actual merit (or lack) of the movie itself.

You can see where the media even puts in their own editorial in the middle of the sentence where she says "I pitched Humans in Black, but that's H.I.B. and that's ... it sounds like something you don't want to get," Thompson explained," then the person writing goes on to explain how they THINK it is because it implies a similarity to H.I.V. That's a nice leap for the journalist to make, how did the journalist make that connection? Did they read the mind of Ms. Thompson? Did she tell them? If she told them why not include that as part of the quote? If she didn't it isn't up to the journalist to speculate, they just need to REPORT not add color commentary or what they THINK the person they are interviewing might be trying to make the connection to.

Tessa might not have even been referring to a disease at all. It would have helped to dig a little deeper there and clarify instead of assume...
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #20
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

WTF, some of the things I see people argue about on here. How bored or sensitive do you have to be to care about...any of that?

Anyway, I like Hemsworth in comedies, he's pretty funny. But I have no care about Emma Thompson, she's just a female cypher. Anybody could be put in her roles, she doesn't make them more or less interesting. I'll watch it at home at some point.

I'm going to see Child's Play though.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart