Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 01:39 PM
14 Replies, 444 Views

Old 01-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - Retro Gaming Day!

Looking to clear out some extra space, I dug a box of Atari 2600 hardware and games out of the garage. There are about 50 games, around 30 with manuals, three Atari 2600 systems (only one working), six joysticks and one set of paddles. All of the games seem to work except one -- a spare copy of Pac-Man -- though there are quite a few games that may be multiplayer only titles and I can't get them working with only one joystick.

I had to head to Fry's Electronics to buy a $2.50 adapter to run the 2600 into an old TV. All this stuff will end up on eBay soon, but it was a fun afternoon "testing" it all out. Just to make sure it worked, right?
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Old 01-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Subscriber

My parents had me at age 19 and 18, so we were really poor growing up. They did a good job providing however, and one year for Christmas I asked for an Atari 2600. Well, it didn't come. What DID come was a knock-off product that could play 2600 games. Or was it 5200 games?

Omnibox? Shit, I can't remember it now.

Anyways, that thing played all the games just fine. I was so happy. Those pics bring me back to that day, thanks.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.

That is some awesome loot you got there!
IGXGamingTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Methos
Savior of Boleteria

Holy shit! Is that a copy of the FASA Star Trek RPG? Epic. Also Pitfall II was one of my favorite Atari games. I remember the clearance sales Sears would have after so many of the games failed during Xmas. Getting a spot on in the Sears Holiday catalogue was a good sign. Good times.
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos View Post
Holy shit! Is that a copy of the FASA Star Trek RPG? Epic. Also Pitfall II was one of my favorite Atari games. I remember the clearance sales Sears would have after so many of the games failed during Xmas. Getting a spot on in the Sears Holiday catalogue was a good sign. Good times.
That's TWO copies of the FASA Star Trek RPG. First edition and second edition, including the maps of the Enterprise and the Klingon D7. There are also a bunch of the expansion modules. They are all kinda jumbled together, I haven't sat down and figured out what goes to 1st edition and what goes to 2nd edition yet.

I started moving all my old RPG stuff out the door on eBay. It went fast. I sold like 80 hardcover D&D books. Heh.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:28 AM   #8
Methos
Savior of Boleteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I started moving all my old RPG stuff out the door on eBay. It went fast. I sold like 80 hardcover D&D books. Heh.
I don't doubt it. I cleaned out a bunch of 2nd edition AD&D rulebooks and Star Wars (WEG edition) RPGs from the bookshelf and all of it was bought off Craiglist in a day. Retro pen-and-paper RPGs are all the rage. Some of my rarer Monsterous Compendiums I got some pretty good money for.
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:01 AM   #9
GinRummy
Evil Dead

The joysticks were always the first to go bad when i had one as a kid. I had the top level patch that Activision would send you if you took a screen shot of the game with a high enough score. I think River Raid was my favorite. I might still have all my carts in a box somewhere but I haven't seen it since I moved. Eh. I also still have tons of mostly RPG games still in boxes dating back to the Zork II days. Metal Jesus would probably squee at some of them.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
The joysticks were always the first to go bad when i had one as a kid. I had the top level patch that Activision would send you if you took a screen shot of the game with a high enough score. I think River Raid was my favorite. I might still have all my carts in a box somewhere but I haven't seen it since I moved. Eh. I also still have tons of mostly RPG games still in boxes dating back to the Zork II days. Metal Jesus would probably squee at some of them.
River Raid is a game that is still very, very fun.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
River Raid is a game that is still very, very fun.
I played a little bit of it. The best games were the silver iMagic games. They were late in the 2600 cycle and the programmers got a lot more action and color out of the system by that point.

I think my favorite is the only one I don't have -- Adventure. I also have a soft spot for Haunted House just because it had cool box art and that Starmaster because of the mail-away patch. (I have one patch.)

We had the Intellivision in my house - my Dad had the 2600 over at his parents house where we would hang out every weekend. The game I played the most was Tron. Spent a billion hours killing Recognizers. You had to hit it right in the eye at right the exact second.

I also have to add that the Asteroids clone is pretty good all things considered. They sure seemed to get the movement and breaking up of the asteroids. Of the old Activision games in that stack, Grand Prix seems like the best one. Good graphics and decent gameplay.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #12
GinRummy
Evil Dead

That physical patch reward for a high score I mentioned was for the game shown in Evil's first message, Starmaster. I failed to mention that, sorry. Here is a link to some of the patches they used to give out: https://www.atariage.com/2600/archiv...n_patches.html
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
TheMadHatter
Squire

really cool info, GinRummy. As an NES kid I didn't know about that patch system. Very cool stuff.
TheMadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Here is mine!

Old 01-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The only downside is I can't get these sewn onto my jacket until spring since my new tailor takes like a week to get anything done. The uniform shop I went to before did a patch while you wait.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #16
Jetherik
Editor in Chief

That's a big thumbs up there.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
blackzc
Evil Dead

I played quite a bit of Atari as a kid. Gran Prix, Lost Luggage, Pac Man, Firefighter, Lock&Chase, Spiderman, HERO, Crystal Castles, Decathlon Popeye are the ones off the top of my head i played the most.

Atari was actually pretty fun. I just wish i had Kaboom and paddles back then. That game was right up my alley.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I've got a huge soft spot for the Atari 2600. My Grandfather played these machines a ton after he retired. His favorite was Space Invaders. He played it so much he wore out one cart and had to buy it again.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #19
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

2600 was my first console. Ms. Pac Man was my favorite game.

Can you believe I didn't buy a NES because I didn't see the point of that weird ass robot? That's how I wound up with a Sega Master System.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:17 AM   #20
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I played a little bit of it. The best games were the silver iMagic games. They were late in the 2600 cycle and the programmers got a lot more action and color out of the system by that point.

I think my favorite is the only one I don't have -- Adventure. I also have a soft spot for Haunted House just because it had cool box art and that Starmaster because of the mail-away patch. (I have one patch.)

We had the Intellivision in my house - my Dad had the 2600 over at his parents house where we would hang out every weekend. The game I played the most was Tron. Spent a billion hours killing Recognizers. You had to hit it right in the eye at right the exact second.

I also have to add that the Asteroids clone is pretty good all things considered. They sure seemed to get the movement and breaking up of the asteroids. Of the old Activision games in that stack, Grand Prix seems like the best one. Good graphics and decent gameplay.
From what I can remember, I think the games that are still quite fun to play, for me, are River Raid, Fishing, Parachute, and Boxing.

There are probably others, but those are definitely the ones I would show to someone and say "Atari games were actually good".
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pure evil