Yesterday 04:14 PM
3 Replies, 249 Views

Old 01-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Rumor: Latest South Park Title Coming To Nintendo Switch

Game Informer has the story.

Quote:
According to a retailer listing, Ubisoft's newest South Park title, The Fractured But Hole, might be coming to the Nintendo Switch fairly soon.

The listing comes from Australian retailer Sanity, which put up mention of the game in their "Coming Soon" section with a March 13 release date. The date is a Tuesday, but there's a two-in-seven chance for dates to fall on traditional game release days, so it does not necessarily confirm anything.

Retail listings as a whole tend not to confirm anything, but Ubisoft has a history of ports and remasters leaking early. South Park: The Fractured But Whole, unlike the previous game, runs on Ubisoft's Snowdrop engine, which was ported to the Switch with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, so there should not be a ton of work getting the game to run.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Good. I'm not sure there is anything about the game, outside of it being "omg mature! These types of games don't get to be on the kiddy nintendo console!" that should keep it from the switch.

Having a Cartman "Coon" Amiibo would be kinda cool... but that might be pushing a little too far
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:23 AM   #3
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

I'm sort of unsure about that move. On the one hand, we've had South Park titles on Nintendo before. On the other hand, most everyone already has this game already. Fans certainly would have it on another console.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
I'm sort of unsure about that move. On the one hand, we've had South Park titles on Nintendo before. On the other hand, most everyone already has this game already. Fans certainly would have it on another console.
I'd pick it up again, especially if there was some Switch-exclusive content...but, almost certainly not at launch.

Porting it is a smart move, but I'm not sure how well it will do overall. There was a palpable demand for a Switch version, but people were unable to understand the logistics behind why there wasn't one alongside the One/PS4/PC versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Good. I'm not sure there is anything about the game, outside of it being "omg mature! These types of games don't get to be on the kiddy nintendo console!" that should keep it from the switch.

Having a Cartman "Coon" Amiibo would be kinda cool... but that might be pushing a little too far
I'd probably end up buying the hell out of amiibos for this game; I love their superhero characters.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:30 AM   #5
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I'd pick it up again, especially if there was some Switch-exclusive content...but, almost certainly not at launch.
$3 on ebay in 5 years is not picking it up. That's collecting.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

This is great news if true. Nintendo fans deserve a fractured but whole too.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Porting it is a smart move, but I'm not sure how well it will do overall. There was a palpable demand for a Switch version, but people were unable to understand the logistics behind why there wasn't one alongside the One/PS4/PC versions.
Particularly since Ubisoft is using a unified Snowdrop engine for all of their in-house titles and Rabbids was incredibly polished at launch. I really did not see anything in the Fractured But Hole that screamed it needed something as powerful as a PS4 or an Xbox One to run it. This is not The Division or Assassins Creed Origins.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Particularly since Ubisoft is using a unified Snowdrop engine for all of their in-house titles and Rabbids was incredibly polished at launch. I really did not see anything in the Fractured But Hole that screamed it needed something as powerful as a PS4 or an Xbox One to run it. This is not The Division or Assassins Creed Origins.
Yeah, it's not a resource-intensive game. The only reason it didn't get a same-date Switch release is simply due to when the game development started in comparison to the Switch's dev kits going out and launch.

Ubisoft was already elbow-deep in development by the time the Switch came on the scene; getting a Switch version out alongside the other versions would have meant another delay.

Tags
nintendo switch, south park, ubisoft