The Evil Avatar Red Dead...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 05:34 PM
23 Replies, 3,983 Views

Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

God of War Reviews

The embargo is over and the Sony bought and paid for reviews are starting to flood the market! Caveat Emptor!

GameSpot -- 9/10
Quote:
"In many ways God of War is what the series has always been. It's a spectacular action game with epic set pieces, big-budget production values, and hard-hitting combat that grows more feverish and impressive as you progress. What may surprise you is how mature its storytelling has become. Like Kratos, God of War recalls the past while acknowledging the need to improve. Everything new it does is for the better, and everything it holds onto benefits as a result. Kratos is no longer a predictable brute. God of War is no longer an old-fashioned action series. With this reboot, it confidently walks a new path that will hopefully lead to more exciting adventures to come."
IGN -- 10/10
Quote:
"I expected great action from God of War, and it delivers that handily. But I didn't expect it to be a thrilling journey in which every aspect of it complements the others to form what is nothing short of a masterpiece. It’s a game in which Kratos, a previously one-note character, becomes a complex father, warrior, and monster, embattled both on the field and within his own heart about how to treat his son; one in which the world opens up and shifts, offering rewards in both gameplay and knowledge of its lore that I treasured with each accomplishment. The obvious care that went into crafting its world, characters, and gameplay delivers by far the most stirring and memorable game in the series."
Game Informer -- 9.75/10
Quote:
"Years ago, Kratos killed the deities of Mount Olympus in a gory rampage. Now, in the Norse realm, he has remade himself into a different kind of god. He is quieter and more deliberate, affected by his history but not constrained by it. Kratos' reinvention serves as a narrative hook, but it also parallels the series’ evolution as a whole; where God of War once relied on bombast and bloodlust, now it leaves space for strategy and nuance. It still has superb action and plenty of jaw-dropping moments, but it supports them with a new level of depth and maturity. God of War learns from its past while clearing an exciting path for the future, and emerges as one of the best games of this generation."
God of War Review thread on Reddit

Looking at Reddit's review thread, what I took away was that these are all basically "sponsored" reviews, bigger sites that got free copies of the game well in advance, which means you know the score was kinda "purchased" with perks and goodies, but also I just was kinda sad at how few good gaming news sites there are left. A few big commercial sites and a lot of bad indies and not much else.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

The game may be great. I of course haven't played it. But it's hard for me to imagine any scenario where the "bond" between the son and Kratos doesn't feel contrived. I can already see him "straddling" that fence of being a total emotionless perfect "bad-ass" and slowly showing empathy/compassion to his son. Queue the "Hard lessons" and "tough talk" grunted out by Kratos because he has the best interest of the boy in mind. And this will be called by some people "mature storytelling". I think it's cliche/generic, and it's deliberateness ruins any sincerity. As a father with a son, I can already say with near certainty that it's going to come across as predictable, contrived, boring, shallow, and needless to the point where I regret that the story arch is even in the game. I've seen countless movies with the same premise in the 80s and 90s. Bad-ass dad shows tough life lessons to son and the bond is formed. I don't need Kratos to show his "human/emotional" side. I don't need or want him to have some contrived bond with his son. I can already see the moments that are supposed to be tear jerky - that are just cringy instead. It's going to be hokey-pokey nonsense. The kind of stuff I would have eaten up as a kid, reflecting on my own relationship with my father, before I grew up and really matured as a dad. Those are unspoken and basic things, woven into the fabric of my relationship with my son. And to see it so emphasized in a deliberate way strips away any sincerity, and makes it cringe worthy and hokey to me instead.

As far as the gameplay goes, the combat looks slower and more strategic, which to some degree I'd appreciate.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Well, from what I've seen this game looks top notch.

I just wish it was coming to PC.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Exodus
Evil Dead

i hate how gamespot is sometimes keeping it real and other times a shill heel. Guess it depends on the day.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
i hate how gamespot is sometimes keeping it real and other times a shill heel. Guess it depends on the day.

Shows you what you need to know about Gamespot.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
...or you unreasonably think any review that doesn't agree with you is "bought".

The notion is ridiculous. People like this game. Anybody with half a brain knew it was going to get high scores just from the screen shots. That's what people like about these kinds of games and why AAA games rarely fail. Their audience is predictable and easily satisfied. People like US may not like those kinds of games, but we are in the minority.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Exodus
Evil Dead

They smoke weed. When they do the reviewing high. Give the game high scores!
Old 04-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
ascl
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post

Shows you what you need to know about Gamespot.

I was already pretty set on buying FarCry 5 but maybe on a sale.... but that video made me buy it immediately. Some un-PC humour is right on the money for me!

I am going to have to get God of War too (somewhat on topic), it looks pretty cool IMO, although the potentially cringe-y father/son stuff could go pretty wrong.
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
LostToys
Evil Dead

God of War will need to wait a couple of weeks/months before I play it, because playing through Yakuza 6 takes priority in my household.

But excited non-the-less.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #10
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Some of my friends that aren't part of big channels or news sites got review copies and they are saying the game is amazing too. I don't think the tinfoil hats are right this time around...
Old 04-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #11
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Some of my friends that aren't part of big channels or news sites got review copies and they are saying the game is amazing too. I don't think the tinfoil hats are right this time around...
God of war has always been solid after 3 games so no reason not to believe it's a good game. The change up is nice so looking forward to some over the top gaming when more footage comes out.

Prolly gonna wait on it when my game queue slows down some time in the summer.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #12
LostToys
Evil Dead

I'm still going to be butt hurt with the camera being locked over the shoulder. The thing I liked about games like God of War and Devil May Cry were the fixed camera and cinematic moments that you do not get with over the shoulder action. The massive pan outs in the previous God of Wars, to show you the size of a Titan or the map you are about to traverse, always amazed me.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #13
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
THey are almost NEVER right, barring about three actual examples. It's a silly concept. It's a scheme that would work exactly once. They get a free game, or whatever, they say the bad game is good. They're audience goes out and buys the bad game thinking it's good and is immediately disappointed. Then the audience doesn't trust the reviewer any longer and abandons the site.

Nobody with a brain would do this. The only times it wouldn't happen were with media so big that the business end was completely out of touch with what they were selling.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:53 PM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

You know, it might be a great game, but it's hard to say when they sent out like $200+ exclusive Press Kits full of goodies, posters and extras to the press core. Do you really think people will be giving the game a fair score after getting a plethora of high dollar bonus items?

You watch, you will be seeing those press kits on ebay, so the people who got them will get paid to write the review, then cash in for another grand on an eBay auction.

Would you give a game a low (or even fair) score knowing it might keep you from cashing in on the next press bonus items in the future?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Old 04-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Is that a press kit or a collector's edition?

Pretty neat but I got over chotchkies a long time ago and anyone who has a house full of them probably isn't going to be head-over-heels impressed with something this small.

And if they are young? The first time they move for real, like out of their mom's basement, they'll find out real fast what is important and this shit ain't it.

Still, I don't think there's many ethical game journo sites out there. There's still way too many incesteous and otherwise questionable relationships and bias for me to really trust 90% of the gaming press or preview -> review pipeline. Too many of these people are still for sale to the person with either the correct agenda or the correct goodie bag or to the correct connections so their one job, to be impartial, is pretty much impossible for 99% of these folks.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:44 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

That's a Press Kit.

I expect that this is a fantastic game, but I got wind of the fact that they were sending out these huge limited edition kits and on top of seeing just how few good sites there are left it just left me kinda cold.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:06 AM   #18
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
That's a Press Kit.
Nothing new here. Sony has been doing this since the PS2 era. One year in the mid 2000s, they sent me a $100 bottle of fancy red wine with hard cheese and a knife set for one of their PS2 RPGs.

Still didn't sway how I reviewed or felt about their game... and Sony didn't really care either way.

My point is this: Most professional level reviewers don't really give two shits about this type of stuff. It's cool, sure...but it just goes on the pile of other marketing trinkets, chotchkies and press kits that you've been receiving for years. I literally had 20-30 games a week landing on my doorstep for review during that time and most of them had random crap included in the box. I ended up throwing 99% of it all away cuz it meant nothing.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:23 AM   #19
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Is that a press kit or a collector's edition?

Pretty neat but I got over chotchkies a long time ago and anyone who has a house full of them probably isn't going to be head-over-heels impressed with something this small.

And if they are young? The first time they move for real, like out of their mom's basement, they'll find out real fast what is important and this shit ain't it.

Still, I don't think there's many ethical game journo sites out there. There's still way too many incesteous and otherwise questionable relationships and bias for me to really trust 90% of the gaming press or preview -> review pipeline. Too many of these people are still for sale to the person with either the correct agenda or the correct goodie bag or to the correct connections so their one job, to be impartial, is pretty much impossible for 99% of these folks.
I guess I don’t understand what you’re getting at. You say people are “for sale” to those with the “correct agenda” or “goodie bag”, but can you give any specific examples? And being”for sale” to the person with the “correct agenda” is just called having an opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the gamesmedia is garbage now. But I don’t think for a se one that they are dishonest. There’s simply no reason to be.

I follow a few reviews sites like Easy Allies and occasionally Giant Bomb. Both those sites, a dindeedmostinternet sites, have podcasts where the reviewers talk in depth about their opinions about the game. Not only would it be hard to make up a fake opinion and hold that position fir an hour, many of those sites have st least one person on the staff who vehemently disagrees. For example, Brandon Jones of Easy Allies constantly gives high scores to open world games and readily aDmits to being a fan of that genre. But Ian Hink frequently lambasts every one of those games. He favors indie games and strategy games. If you know the personalities of the people reviewing the games, you can predict the score.

You tubers like The Happy Consile Gamer are up front about what genres and series they like and don’t hold back when they don’t like a game.

I don’t believe this Is an actual problem in the industry.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:25 AM   #20
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Nothing new here. Sony has been doing this since the PS2 era. One year in the mid 2000s, they sent me a $100 bottle of fancy red wine with hard cheese and a knife set for one of their PS2 RPGs.

Still didn't sway how I reviewed or felt about their game... and Sony didn't really care either way.

My point is this: Most professional level reviewers don't really give two shits about this type of stuff. It's cool, sure...but it just goes on the pile of other marketing trinkets, chotchkies and press kits that you've been receiving for years. I literally had 20-30 games a week landing on my doorstep for review during that time and most of them had random crap included in the box. I ended up throwing 99% of it all away cuz it meant nothing.

This. The overwhelming levels of negative bullshit generated on this site is tiresome. The press getting a free copy of the game and a goodybag does not make them corrupt, it's just a perk of the job.

Over the years every one us finds a couple of review sites that we tend to agree with and value their reviews. Of the ones i trust, I can't honestly say i've ever noticed a spike in certain review scores that I seriously thought was the result of the publisher paying.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
god of war