10 Replies, 322 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Yesterday 06:06 PM
6 Replies, 556 Views

Old 05-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #21
DingBat
Evil Dead

Well, at the end of season 7 there were at least 3 major story arcs than had to come in for a landing:

1. The Night King
2. Cersei
3. Dany/Jon

When I heard the 8th season was only 6 episodes I was immediately like "wtf? How do you wrap up those 3 major arcs in 6 episodes? Never mind all the myriad smaller arcs that people are gonna want tidied up".

So, expectations were low in the first place.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #22
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I liked it enough but I think a big part of that might be what Terran said. I have to admit that I really enjoy the fangirl and white knight freakout over Daenerys going bad. It's been very enjoyable to witness their meltdown. Everything else being wrapped up was just gravy at this point.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #23
BillyWilliamton
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
It was fun. Time to cancel HBONow, lol.
If you haven't, give the show Barry a try. If you like it you can at least feel like you got something for your $15.
BillyWilliamton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #24
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I liked it enough but I think a big part of that might be what Terran said. I have to admit that I really enjoy the fangirl and white knight freakout over Daenerys going bad. It's been very enjoyable to witness their meltdown. Everything else being wrapped up was just gravy at this point.
I don't see WHY though! BECAUSE:

1) Raped, abused woman gets to become a Queen.
2) Disabled wheelchair boy gets to be King.
3) Biggest Hero Arya is a chick who turns down man, marriage, domestic life to be an independent woman.

So some serious social justice wins for those libtards.

Also Jon is a Christ figure, complete with betrayal, resurrection, humility, sacrifice, you name it, he's got it. Good for the religious conservatives I guess.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:13 AM   #25
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

That final episode. Eight seasons. Heck... at least the seasons were shorter than Lost's wealth of material. This better be worth it or I'll do absolutely nothing.

Give Tyrion Lannister his own show and call it, 'The Adventures of Tits & Wine!' That will always be my favourite quote of the entire show, "Why are the Gods such vicious C***ts? Where's the God of T & W?"

Eight seasons... for that? Oh well. Series 1-7 were absolutely fantastic. Heck, even the Arya super speed, mega-jump scene nearly made it all perfect.

Despite the un-sullied fighting the legions of Winter, as well as a second battle, they never seem to end. From this moment forward, when you're in a rush and you need a door to remain open, we should shout, 'Hodor!' and nothing else. So it is to be written with grace, blood and fortitude. I'd also like free mince pies and I have no idea why.

Conclusion(s):

After all of that. After all of the talking, the building of characters, the Iron Throne and the suffering of many, we're left with what we've seen. When I watched the last episode of 'The Tudors', I was in bits. Despite King Henry VIII being a possibly insane crazy man, he was played with such charisma, that you just had to feel for him. The loss. The hurt. The very fact that no matter the wealth, the small power of two hands, eventually, life will take it all. The suffering of the failed loves, the wanting for a child, echoed through my heart.

This, on the other hand, failed me. John Snow was still a drip, at the end. A caring, soft, silly drip. Where was the progression in his character? The quick and barely 'feeling' ending of John and Daenerys' epic love saga... Umm, what saga? It fell flat. Firmly and utterly flat.

If you want someone to feel the pain of a broken, fated love, then you have to build that feeling and then rip it from the viewer. Crush it as you crush them.

All of the stuff with Bran and then... he becomes a king. It's actually quite an intelligent option, sensible even, but it would probably never happen. It's the idea that not many would have thought of. It's nearly as annoying as the ending to Lost. I don't dislike the ending, but there could have been so many different endings that would have rocked.

The Stark Montage, as mentioned above, was really nice. Emotional. At least I had that. It is done. Over with.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:28 AM   #26
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Waiting for the special May 26 show documentary before I cancel.

I was a GoT fan before the show. They did pretty well considering they had to just make shit up halfway through the series.
Damn, I didn't know there was a documentary coming out. Hopefully that'll be cool.

I read the first 3 books back in the early 2000's, but the long wait between the subsequent releases has made it hard to get back into the books. I own 4 & 5, but just haven't been able to get through 4.

I hear you that they had to make it up after they ran out of material, and I didn't really have a huge problem with much until this ending. It's just that this ending is anticlimactic and annoyingly banal. There was no excitement or wow moment. Even when the dragon comes into play, you think something crazy or cool is about to happen, then...the dragon apparently hates politics? Also, if this is how it goes when the 2 creators guys have to make it up, what does that say for their upcoming Star Wars films?

Maybe I am too much of a comic book fan, but I was hoping to see something cool and heroic. Or something brutal and surprising. What we got was just blah with a side of meh. I guess we can surmise that they leave it open for a future sequel like they're doing with Deadwood, because Tyrion tells Jon "Ask me in 10 years."

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:26 AM   #27
Ghostblaze
Evil Dead

After all this time waiting for this last season. This is the best they could do?
It was trash. Isn’t Bran the “three eyed raven”? Oh wait he isn’t anymore? All of a sudden all his actions were for him to become king? Cersei’s death wasn’t satisfying in the way she was killed off. Night king was killed too easily. Whole season was lame and rushed.
Ghostblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:57 AM   #28
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post

Also Jon is a Christ figure, complete with betrayal, resurrection, humility, sacrifice, you name it, he's got it. Good for the religious conservatives I guess.
Lol I'm picturing Jesus stabbing Mary Magdalene in the heart for being a harlot.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:00 AM   #29
AlfredT
Evil Dead

My biggest thing about the show btw is during the ENTIRETY of the show, the focus was on the SEVEN kingdoms. Now that the north helped out with zombies, its all ok, we're the six kingdoms now.. its all good.

In reality, no ruler or council would ever let a territory secede like that unless a.) they got bribed or b.) they all want to pull a russian satellite state move and basically balkanize

How everyone just rolled over cuz Sansa's bitchy outspokenness was somehow diplomatic was just beyond the suspension of disbelief for me.. even with fucking dragons and zombies.. and zombiedragons.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #30
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Another weirdly annoying bit... at they end they show Jon and the Free Folk going north of the wall. WTF for? They were given good lands south of the wall before -- and even if we pretend that didn't happen -- after they just kicked Zombie ass all over the place Sansa would have clearly given them those lands again. It's almost like the writers of the finale didn't even watch their own show.

Too much of what we saw in the last season just didn't make any sense. And really, like someone else said, it was all so banal. Even the big zombie fight was pretty much ruined by bad night filming and Deus Ex Arya at the end. And why did the Night King give a shit about Bran? He could have just let his army roll right over everyone, killing Bran in the process and then continued the march south.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #31
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Another weirdly annoying bit... at they end they show Jon and the Free Folk going north of the wall. WTF for?
Jon can't go back south of the wall. He's been exiled there. Heading north and disappearing into the frozen wasteland is an option that would appear to piss off nobody, heading south would seem to clearly violate his punishment and stir shit up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #32
Terran
Evil Dead

Game of Thrones explained in a single tweet:

Another good one: "1 boy is thrown out a window, turns into a bird then lands on a throne."

Another: "Like losing your virginity. Big build up, massive let down at the finish."

Another: "After the king died, there was some difficulty settling on a new king."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:26 AM   #33
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Glad this show is over. What a nosedive.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #34
Booda
Beam another Blast

Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #35
Booda
Beam another Blast

Old 05-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #36
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Oh man! That is so much better than the ending we got! I would have laughed my ass off if they had done that for real.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:11 AM   #37
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Oh man! That is so much better than the ending we got! I would have laughed my ass off if they had done that for real.
To quote a comment I read about the video earlier... "This is canon now".

Tags
game of thrones