3 Replies, 251 Views
Prey Developer Human...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Yesterday 11:00 PM
5 Replies, 437 Views

Old 10-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I bought an Atari Jaguar. WHY NOW? And how does it play?

I finally added an Atari Jaguar to my collection and play a handful of new releases on it. But is NOW the right time to do it?
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
cjrizzo
Reaper

MJ - great video (as always). I had bought a Jaguar directly from Atari while it was in limited release in early Fall, 1993. As an Atari fan that had had every system iteration (outside the 5200), I was looking forward to the hype and potential of this system. Outside of the few exceptional games - AvP was amazing at the time, Wolfenstein, Doom, Iron Soldier and of course Tempest 2000 - there was poor software support. Whatever software was available was very much below average.

I think it's great that there is a community for Jag today, but I really can't wrap my head around collector desirability for this. There is nothing "nostalgic" about this system - the games were mostly awful, the controllers were terrible and the system 's overall quality (especially the JagCD) was poor. The design, as you mentioned, is still pretty sharp - that's about the only thing that's aged well.

I think it's interesting that people are coming around to the system now, but it certainly wasn't because the system was ahead of its time. The interesting bit about the Jag is that it ultimately was one of the last things Atari did under the Tramiel family before they faded into history. Any iteration of the company since the Tramiel family is in name only and the company of Nolan Bushnell pretty died with this system.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

These were always the high price, luxury systems when I was growing up. There was no way my parents had money for these.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:23 AM   #4
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

I wanted one of these real bad when I was a kid. They had one on display in the local CompUSA. But they were expensive, at least for me at the time. Pretty cool that people are still making/porting games to it, makes me want it again.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
AlfredT
Evil Dead

What do all the buttons in the center do? Are they assignable as macros, rapid fire etc? Or only used in certain games?

Also, no rygar?
Old 10-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
What do all the buttons in the center do? Are they assignable as macros, rapid fire etc? Or only used in certain games?
I've been told that games like Alien vs Predator use them for weapon swaps, etc... so there are a few games that will use them.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
Grumsh
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post

Also, no rygar?
Games came with plastic overlays you could insert into the controller to use those buttons for additional functions. They mostly were pretty assigned by the software and the overlay simply reminded you what they did. Kind of like the classic intellivision.

I still have my Jaguar in the basement and remember how for it's time Alien vs Predator was very awesome.

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:34 PM   #8
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I saw this at my friend's house when it first came out, and even then I remember it being the lamest new console I'd ever seen.

Even though it shared the legendary Motorola 68000, it could not match the graphics prowess of my Amiga 500 that had come out SIX YEARS prior!

So it was a bit of a joke to me. And certainly laughable coming after the Genesis which also had the 68K and had come out 5 years prior.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:24 AM   #9
shadow763
Lord of Woe

For unique games, AvP and Iron Soldier were pretty much it. But they were a ton of fun at the time.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrizzo View Post
MJ - great video (as always). I had bought a Jaguar directly from Atari while it was in limited release in early Fall, 1993. As an Atari fan that had had every system iteration (outside the 5200), I was looking forward to the hype and potential of this system. Outside of the few exceptional games - AvP was amazing at the time, Wolfenstein, Doom, Iron Soldier and of course Tempest 2000 - there was poor software support. Whatever software was available was very much below average.

I think it's great that there is a community for Jag today, but I really can't wrap my head around collector desirability for this. There is nothing "nostalgic" about this system - the games were mostly awful, the controllers were terrible and the system 's overall quality (especially the JagCD) was poor. The design, as you mentioned, is still pretty sharp - that's about the only thing that's aged well.

I think it's interesting that people are coming around to the system now, but it certainly wasn't because the system was ahead of its time. The interesting bit about the Jag is that it ultimately was one of the last things Atari did under the Tramiel family before they faded into history. Any iteration of the company since the Tramiel family is in name only and the company of Nolan Bushnell pretty died with this system.
This 100%.

I finally bought one off Ebay maybe a decade ago as I thought the Jaguar was something special. I was wrong. It sucks.

The games don't hold up at all and the graphics prowess was just hype. Major letdown.
sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I had a friend who I gamed with constantly and since he had two jobs, he bought pretty much anything that looked interesting, including a Jaguar. The games were just bad and the controllers didn't help. We probably played Kasumi Ninja the most and I can remember the controllers hurting my hands after a relatively short session. We had a lot of patience for even bad games back then but I don't remember the Jaguar lasting very long in his house at all.
As for how collectible it is, it seems that people collect pretty much everything today. The same goes for homebrew. It's almost like some people enjoy developing for some of these systems almost out of a sense of irony but I still think it's pretty cool that they pull off some good efforts. And the hardware does look cool, at least in a 90s way. And that might be the most nostalgic part of this system. It physically hearkens back to a golden age of gaming.

All said, another great video MJ. I don't have to enjoy playing the actual subject matter of your videos to enjoy the videos as this one shows.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
atari, jaguar, metal jesus