Valve announces...
Last post by brandonjclark
Yesterday 06:58 PM
18 Replies, 847 Views

Old 11-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Terminator Dark Fate has Disappointing Opening Weekend

The Terminator franchise may not be back, moviegoing masses spurned the sixth chapter in the science-fiction movie series over the weekend calling into question the future of the 35-year-old property.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of November 1st to November 3rd, 2019.
  1. Terminator: Dark Fate $29.0/$29.0
  2. Joker $13.9/$299.6
  3. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil $12.1/$84.3
  4. Harriet $12.0/$12.0
  5. The Addams Family $8.4/$85.2
  6. Zombieland: Double Tap $7.3/$59.3
  7. Countdown $5.8/$17.7
  8. Black and Blue $4.0/$15.4
  9. Motherless Brooklyn $3.6/$3.6
  10. Arctic Dogs $3.1/$3.1
  11. Parasite $2.6/$7.5
  12. Jojo Rabbit $2.4/$4.2
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

man Hollywood still hasn't learned... you want cool female leads? then create cool, UNIQUE, stories. It can happen... Looking at you Aliens, T1/2, Hunger Games, countless other female lead stories that are great. jesus... between this, start wars, and that bullshit Marvel pulled a couple years ago(Asain hulk? Black female Iron Man? really??) it's driving me crazy..

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

I love Arnold, and it's cool to see Linda Hamilton reprise her role, but I don't have high hopes for this one. I'll still see it, though (Regal Unlimited).
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

Watched "Jojo Rabbit" over the weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Visually and thematically it shares a lot in common with Taika Waititi's "What We Do In the Shadows" than, thankfully, "Thor: Ragnarok", and at times feels like you are watching a Wes Anderson film (high praise). It is a very intimate movie at times, so I highly recommend watching it as "blind" as possible, as the less you know about the story and characters, the more enjoyment you will get out of the film.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #5
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
man Hollywood still hasn't learned... you want cool female leads? then create cool, UNIQUE, stories. It can happen... Looking at you Aliens, T1/2, Hunger Games, countless other female lead stories that are great. jesus... between this, start wars, and that bullshit Marvel pulled a couple years ago(Asain hulk? Black female Iron Man? really??) it's driving me crazy..
Truth. I enjoy action flicks with female leads, look at Resident Evil or Underworld or Wonder Woman as well as countless others. I love Silent Hill games and my favorite is 3, when you play as the female. I love horror films, and in every single one all the dudes die and the final girl survives.

Point is, audiences can tell when you're shoving things in their face, or shoehorning politics or demographics or agendas into stories. This movie gave off the appearance of that, although it wasn't really anything of substance in the film. But audiences are so sensitive and annoyed with it happening by now that they aren't even giving this movie a chance.

Not that it's that great anyways, but it is a fun watch.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Who ever thought this movie was a good idea, It's not about female leads its about derivative movies with geriatric actors.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
RAV
Evil Dead

While there certainly are movies with strong female leads that I enjoyed in the past, the problem today is kinda both.

It's always been a bit of a gimmick. Spicing things up, alright. Thing is it's become so common place now, it's no longer special, it's a bit obnoxious.
It's as worn out as anything you'd call traditional. Most of all it's become an excuse for creative laziness. Don't know what else to do? Just gender swap the char, and now it's interesting again. Work done.

Did you know that kickass girls dominating men are mostly a male fetish fantasy? Most women aren't really into it. Know what they prefer? Stuff like 50 Shades of Grey. Yeah.
A lot of women are actually getting tired of all the expectations placed on them. It's really not like when you defend this, you are standing up for the girls.

Another thing that's noteworthy is, that in the past classic movies, female leads had a different character.
It was a more caring character that had decent relations to men. A bit more like a soccer mom.

There is really a deep disconnect growing, between what most people actually wish for in their heart and what we are given.
I believe it will eventually correct itself. Someone will make a very classic tale of adventure and love, and it will roll up the entire market.

Another problem is the incredibly one dimensional view on what show of strength and resolve means.
Women always had a special strength of character on their own, rooted in love, that was a lot more impressive than throwing fists.
These deep and complex qualities of classic women have been almost completely thrown out of the picture, for reducing them to nothing but fighting competitors.

I know that a common theme today is that this kind of thinking is old and obsolete, which is how many movies now also try to portray the former male lead characters.
But girls are looking to be impressed by their boys, and enjoy the signs of affection. Eventually things will swing back into more natural relations.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #8
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I think Rav is spot on, as usual. The people that demand all of this woke entertainment don't seem to go out and then spend their money on it once it's made. And the formula is all wrong with the way a lot of female leads are marketed today. People always admired a male hero who would lay down his life for the lady, his family, whatever. His sacrifice was noble in aim and in tone. A lot of female leads are sold as a "screw you, I don't need anyone but myself" sort of action star. That doesn't work no matter the sex of the hero.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
RAV
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmash
And the formula is all wrong with the way a lot of female leads are marketed today. People always admired a male hero who would lay down his life for the lady, his family, whatever. His sacrifice was noble in aim and in tone. A lot of female leads are sold as a "screw you, I don't need anyone but myself" sort of action star. That doesn't work no matter the sex of the hero.
Exactly. These female roles have become very cold and self-serving. It's like "Ugh, do I have to save your pathetic ass again? I got better things to do, but okay, whatev."
That's because the push for these roles today is not inspired by love for people, but by other motives, and it reads very clearly.

But what's also noteworthy, we currently have two distinct lines of narratives in media. What Hollywood shows, and then there is youth culture.
Which is the other thing that is so strange. Most of the people advocating these female lead roles are actually older men. Complaining about views of "old men". It is strange.

When you look at what actual youth is watching most of the time, it's not these Hollywood flicks anymore, it is anime, and that is largely classic tales. I mean it sure is all over the place in its character designs, but the most popular stories are more classic, and kids enjoy the heck out of it, not only boys but a huge amount of girls, swooning all over.

Here are two scenes of a hugely popular series:

In the first, you see a female protagonist as Mage class getting into trouble, and calling upon her Servant, a cool looking dude, and then the two guys fighting it out over the girl. Very classic scenario, as much loved by girls as it is by boys.

The next one is a hapless boy got in trouble, and his protector is a mom-like character, that has summoned herself to protect the kid. She isn't exactly emotional here, but very dutiful, loyal and honor bound to her calling, and fights like a lion. Just a "mom" doing what a mom does when nothing else goes.

Suffice to say, most people of any age would agree that both of these scenes are pretty badass, hit the right tone, and much more entertaining than whatever else we get served in the movies these days. I mean everything is better, the action, the characters, I am not surprised kids prefer this over anything. This stuff is mega popular. So it always amuses me when people call the problem an old people thing. It's a youngins thing, and always will be. Nature is what it's always been, what it always will be.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Hollywood is pissing off actual fans of their products with their lame ass wokesterism. I'm not seeing it purely based upon the fact that they arbitrarily decided to murder a bunch of border agents when the setting and circumstances were otherwise completely irrelevant except to score some token lame ass progressive points.

Terminator is headed for a potentially debilitating 100 million loss. Good. FUCK 'EM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I think Rav is spot on, as usual.
And I think he needs a fucking editor. Get to the damn point!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Hollywood is pissing off actual fans of their products with their lame ass wokesterism.
I think they figured that they were able to infiltrate and influence so many people over the years via the education system, MTV, the media, etc that this would be the easy and logical next step. Change the culture by preaching yet more new and good ideas™ to them in their movies and TV shows. It worked before. What could go wrong?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #12
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I think they figured that they were able to infiltrate and influence so many people over the years via the education system, MTV, the media, etc that this would be the easy and logical next step. Change the culture by preaching yet more new and good ideas™ to them in their movies and TV shows. It worked before. What could go wrong?
Honestly it has very little to do with it being "woke" and people just being fucking tired of Terminator. By most accounts the last good Terminator was Terminator 2 and every Terminator movie since then has been a mixed bag at best. I know plenty of people who don't really follow the whole SJW shit and watch nearly every movie that comes out and most of them were saying "oh wow... so they made another one. Why?". It was then rather clear this movie was in trouble even before the first screening. Also, once the spoilers about the beginning of the movie started making the rounds it kinda cemented its, ahem, Fate. Oh and for the record, the "woke" crowd apparently went to see Harriet.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #13
RAV
Evil Dead

There are other franchises that are incredibly old and milked and lost nothing of their popularity to this day.
I mean fuck, how many DragonBall shows have there been, each hundreds of painfully stretched episodes,
and a dozen full feature movies, and games, and mangas, and toy figures, spanning more than 30 years.
And yet, today the show is going as strong as ever. Kids just can't get enough of it. Never gets old with them.

And anyone today that I show these intros here immediately falls in love and pretty much asks for toy figures. Yet noone cares about Starwars anymore.
The shows aren't even that good either to be honest, but by the intro alone pretty much anyone gets all pumped and excited for this franchise.
I found, even girls dig it a lot. Funny, huh. From what we are suggested, you'd think girls would like nothing but watching other girls own it.

Last edited by RAV; 11-20-2019 at 01:36 PM..
Old 11-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #14
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Honestly it has very little to do with it being "woke" and people just being fucking tired of Terminator. By most accounts the last good Terminator was Terminator 2 and every Terminator movie since then has been a mixed bag at best. I know plenty of people who don't really follow the whole SJW shit and watch nearly every movie that comes out and most of them were saying "oh wow... so they made another one. Why?". It was then rather clear this movie was in trouble even before the first screening. Also, once the spoilers about the beginning of the movie started making the rounds it kinda cemented its, ahem, Fate. Oh and for the record, the "woke" crowd apparently went to see Harriet.
I do agree with this as well. I felt the same. However I was still going to see it because it actually had decent reviews and Hamilton. Then I read where they actually (spoiler alert) killed off John Connor and replaced him with female character!! ... after that I was like fuck it.. Not wasting my money.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
Old 11-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #15
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

RAV solid reference with Ultimate Blade Works. Fate/Stay Night was a great story. Archer and Saber are awesome characters.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
Old 11-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #16
RAV
Evil Dead

I doubt people will ever get tired of Warhammer40k, not for the last 30 years, and not for the next 300 years.
People will just keep spending big money on these figures forever, from little to old.
By how things are going, no one will remember any of the other franchises by then.
Well, maybe DragonBalls. lmao. All they have to do is just not get woke. Simple as that.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #17
92miata
Evil Dead

Excellent movie. Everyone is looking for an excuse to hate. Being negative is much more easy than being positive. Easily worth a viewing if you are remotely a Terminator fan.
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:06 AM   #18
RAV
Evil Dead

As the Sisters Sororitas know, only your eternal devotion and servitude to the god emperor can save you.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #19
GinRummy
Evil Dead

To me, box office numbers for sequels seem to be 90% based on how good the previous movie in the series was, so for Terminator you really gotta cut some slack on the current rankings and wait for time and legacy to determine success or failure. There are so many movies (among other things) that made garbage at release but are considered cherished classics later on.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92miata View Post
Excellent movie. Everyone is looking for an excuse to hate.
I love the series. I was looking for a reason to see it, but I don't like financially encouraging some of the unnecessary nonsense they included.

Call that looking to hate if you wish. I won't support it. You do you, I'll do me, one big happy family!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart