Top Gun: Maverick -...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Today 06:36 AM
25 Replies, 1,260 Views

Old 05-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The Nerds of Winterfell #GameofThronesFinale

The final episode of Game of Thrones. It was a thing that happened. Comment below! Beware Spoilers! Anything goes.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

What does late term abortion and the Game of Thrones finale have in common?

They both take something beautiful and alive and chop it up into bloody chunks and then throw it in the trash.

Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I thought it was pretty weak. Like a balloon slowing running out of air...
Old 05-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I thought it was pretty weak. Like a balloon slowing running out of air...
I thought it was dull beyond belief. They blew their big "twist" ending last week and like most of this season, seemed to have no idea what to do after that. I think they were trying to be shocking with the Queen's death and the Bran as King stuff, but it mostly fell flat.

Bran is the guy who gets picked last for dodgeball, he isn't the guy you pick to be King. They could have picked... pretty much anyone else left alive at that point and done better than Mr. "I mostly live in the past."

That's just dumb.

This season was just a total letdown. Honestly, I would have been perfectly happy if they had just spent all season fighting a losing war of attrition against the Undead and the Night King ended up on the Iron Throne. At least it would have been entertaining to watch, been filled with heroic moments where someone sacrifices themselves for someone else and had an ending we could really get behind as "Yea, that's what should have happened."

Instead they just decide to flip one of the main characters at the last second, kill off a bunch of other for no reason and then give us the big old Bran middle finger at the end.

Meh.

I wish I had stopped watching after the Purple Wedding.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

the problem wasn't the ending... it felt like the pieces were where they supposed to be..

But the season really felt rushed (actually I think that the last 2 seasons have been very rushed). all the build up for some characters to be tossed aside unceremoniously is bad. Cersei, Varys, Night King, everyone tossed aside as soon as it was possible, without much of a conflict, or screen time.

Even daenerys descent into madness was rushed, basically it was done in a couple of episodes. There were some hints here and there, but not the full blown mass murdering of innocents.

Also Jon did not do anything in any season. always failling upwards. Also he being a Targaryen was for naught.

what will always be true is that Peter Dinklage is a fucking amazing actor, all his scenes where fantastic.

I blame D&D for trying to wrap it up as soon as possible because they want to move on. No one but them wanted this, not HBO, not the actors, not Martin, not the fans. Only the show runners.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

What pisses me off more than anything was that this season had moments where it truly shone. Glimpses back into prior seasons where the series grabbed us by the throat and reminded us that it was in charge. The problem with this season is those moments were bookended by some truly atrocious writing that it just made those issues so much more damning.

A quick example of what I mean - I thought the exchange between Sandor and Ayra in the map room as they're both on their way up to their respective faceoffs was near perfect. Especially the moment Sandor takes Ayra softly by the back of the head and almost pleas with her to walk away and save herself. Almost brought me as a father to tears.

But then they fuck it all up with so many aspects of Cleganebowl that it in and of itself was practically ruined. The Mountain just shields Cercie from several hundreds of tons of falling stone using his body as a shield? Uhuh... Cercie just strolls down past Sandor like she needs to swap laundry over into the dryer? WTF! Truly miserable writing that stood out so blatantly that it left a sour taste for the whole bloody episode.

And nearly EVERY EPISODE of the season had those types of issues.

I'm glad it's over honestly, and that hurts to say it since I really loved the series leading up to these past two seasons. I'll mourne for the series that could have been but never wholly was.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

What I always loved about GoT was that we had stories and characters that could go at any moment. Ned Stark getting beheaded. Rob Stark and the red wedding. Many other characters dying off. But through it all we had anchor characters who where the real titans of the show. The heroes that drove everything in some way. Dany, Jon, Cerci, and the Night King(white walkers). Characters that EVERYONE knew would battle one day. Instead NK gets no scoped by a 15 year old 22 year old, Cerci has 25 mins of screen time and dies by rocks, Dany nukes an entire town and dies while getting kissed by her nephew, and Jon gets banished, while thinking "This doesn't feel right.". Yeah no shit Jon boy... It really doesn't feel right at all.

Also Bran got the ultimate participation trophy! Am I right?? haha The fucking guy is the one dude who "works" in a group, does the least, and somehow gets promoted to manager. You got to be fucking kidding me....

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #8
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
I blame D&D for trying to wrap it up as soon as possible because they want to move on. No one but them wanted this, not HBO, not the actors, not Martin, not the fans. Only the show runners.
Yep. HBO offered them so much money and an extra season in order to do it right, but they want to move on to their next project (I think it's Star Wars, so get ready for that dumpster-fire).

Everything was rushed. The Whitewalkers were wiped out way too quickly. Dany went mad in an instant. Jon was useless, even though he was always set up to be "the guy". Bran didn't do shit with his 3-Eyed Raven powers, except maybe ensure he becomes king. Jamie had a beautiful character arc that was thrown to shit at the end. Even though Aria killed the NK, it felt like her character was wasted. They shit all over the prophecies from the book, even though they were part of the show at the start... like, "Fuck that shit, let's just forget it ever happened."

All in all, the last few years were pretty much shit; which is around the time the showrunners ran out of GRRM material and had to wing it. At least we'll always have the first 4 seasons, right? Hopefully George finishes the series so we can have some justice to the characters.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #9
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Honestly, I would have been perfectly happy if they had just spent all season fighting a losing war of attrition against the Undead and the Night King ended up on the Iron Throne.
I would have gladly watched that!
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
what will always be true is that Peter Dinklage is a fucking amazing actor, all his scenes where fantastic
He was the one bright light in a sea of dullness. That last scene of his should get him an Emmy all by itself. Charismatic little fucker.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #11
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
Also Bran got the ultimate participation trophy! Am I right?? haha The fucking guy is the one dude who "works" in a group, does the least, and somehow gets promoted to manager. You got to be fucking kidding me....
Hahahah....no doubt

Btw...what about Greyworm. That was my biggest gripe with the episode. First off, worst bodyguard of all time. Then the dickless fucker doesn't even go the way of the samurai and fall on his sword, or even better, chop off Jon's head. Nope....I'm just gonna go sail to some random isle and sunbathe. For fucks sakes....DO SOMETHING!
Old 05-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Everything just felt rushed and disappointing. I hate Jon's ending the most, mainly because of how it went down. Banishing him back to Castle Black just didn't feel right, especially since the guy who wanted him dead was sailing away and Winterfell declared its independence.

This very same ending could have potentially felt satisfying if everything hadn't lead to it at a breakneck pace.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

I enjoyed it. The pieces were in place, but the pacing was disjointed because the producers, Benioff and Weiss, are moving on to Star Wars and the calendar and desire for closure necessitated wrapping that shit up. People bitch because it's what fat, lazy, wealthy westerners do with the gobs of leisure time we have in place of worrying about where our food, clothing, shelter are coming from or what dreaded disease or invader is going to kill us this time. Instead, we whine about #ShitThatDon'tMatter

Not only did I mostly enjoy the ending, I am exceedingly enjoying the eruptions of angst on the feminist left over their disappointment that their 'hero' ended as a genocidal mad woman with visions of dictatorship dancing in her head. The hilarity of male fans being called "toxic" by the lamestream media when they've complained about Marvel/SW film choices while these leftist loonies get a pass to be toxic toward the artistic direction of the GoT creators is deliciously schadenfreudable.*

It was fun. Time to cancel HBONow, lol.

* Yeah, I made that shit up to change the part of speech. Deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #14
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Yeah I was willing to wait until it was all over before I really judged the season/show. But...

Jon going back to the Night's Watch? What the f are they "watching?" the Night King is dead, there are no white walkers, the wall is broken.

I was glad they went "Mad Queen" but it didn't feel earned. It just felt like "We gotta wrap this up, lets make her go crazy." It felt like a decision in a writer's room, not a natural progression. This whole season felt like that. Like get some GoT fans in a room, and have them come up with a "cool ending, bro!"

This show has always been about seeing characters do cool shit in crazy situations (or just dying). We never got to see Jon do any cool, heroic shit. He should have become the hero of the show, fighting the Night King, killing Grey Worm, getting blasted by Drogon after he kills Dany only for us to see that he didn't get burnt, etc. He should have done a bunch of cool, heroic shit that we could talk about and remember. Instead he was a dud. Everyone was boring and dumb and nobody did anything cool.

Only Sansa and Tyrion had cool endings, but again, where was the cool and memorable stuff? All these years, all these people dying in crazy, shitty ways, we all were waiting to see what cool shit would happen at the end and who would win. This was just bad.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #15
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post

It was fun. Time to cancel HBONow, lol.
I also cancelled HBO Now last night. Wonder how many thousands of people did the same.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
Btw...what about Greyworm. That was my biggest gripe with the episode. First off, worst bodyguard of all time. Then the dickless fucker doesn't even go the way of the samurai and fall on his sword, or even better, chop off Jon's head. Nope....I'm just gonna go sail to some random isle and sunbathe. For fucks sakes....DO SOMETHING!
Grey Worm... jeez. Useless character portrayed with terrible acting.

I find it amusing that no one has chimed in that Grey Worm & his merry band of men along with the Dothraki are all now a bunch of war criminals that just finished up not only committing mass genocide but also whooping it up with their queen about spreading mass genocide across the entire world. What... queen died so we're all cool now? Instead of rounding them up & killing them all, let's just let them sail off into the sunset to go & probably commit some more genocide.

Nothing else in the final season made much sense so why should this.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
I also cancelled HBO Now last night. Wonder how many thousands of people did the same.
I just did it right now. Renewal was tomorrow. Nothing I need to see at the moment, so...c'ya HBO! I'll bet it's costing them a lot of subs. A slightly longer season would have been worth a ton.

Will probably re-up in the fall to binge Chernobyl and a few new shows. I'll be on the road for eight weeks this summer, so HBO is an unnecessary expense at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #18
Juan
Evil Dead

The final episode was pretty fucking terrible, it had easily the worst dialogue of any episode.

Also what the fuck happened to Winter? They spent YEARS telling us winter is coming, kings will freeze in their castle etc. Then despite having spent all their resources and energies fighting instead of preparing for winter, all of a sudden it’s sunny and everything’s fine.

Really poor ending imo.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #19
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Waiting for the special May 26 show documentary before I cancel.

I was a GoT fan before the show. They did pretty well considering they had to just make shit up halfway through the series.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #20
Skunk
Evil Dead

Well....

Seasons 7&8 were done by guys who previously adapted excellent writing into scripts. Now they were "adapting" outlines into scripts. Meaning, they actually had to write something rather than adapt from source material. IE- they weren't actually responsible for the amazing story being told in earlier seasons.

So it hasn't been a surprise to me that these last two seasons have been really weak. Especially Season 8, where there would logically be less meat on the bones. I'm not even mad at HBO, I'm mad at Geor.r.r.ge for resting on his laurels and letting this go stale in the pantry.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game of thrones