Last post by Emabulator
Yesterday 07:47 PM
4 Replies, 621 Views

Old 01-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #21
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I don't buy the bit about boring games really.
Then you're disconnected from reality. Scores:

Wild Card Round
Saturday, Jan. 7

GAME 1: Houston Texans 27, Oakland Raiders 14 BORING
GAME 2: Seattle Seahawks 26, Detroit Lions 6 BLOWOUT

Sunday, Jan. 8

GAME 3: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Miami Dolphins 12 BLOWOUT
GAME 4: Green Bay Packers 38, New York Giants 13 BLOWOUT

Divisional Round
Saturday, Jan. 14

GAME 5: Atlanta Falcons 36, Seattle Seahawks 20 BLOWOUT
GAME 6: New England Patriots 34, Houston Texans 16 BLOWOUT

Sunday, Jan. 15

GAME 7: Green Bay Packers 34, Dallas Cowboys 31 GREAT GAME
GAME 8: Pittsburgh Steelers 18, Kansas City Chiefs 16 BORING

Championship Round
Sunday, Jan. 22

NFC Championship: Atlanta Falcons 44, Green Bay Packers 21 BLOWOUT
AFC Championship: New England Patriots 36, Pittsburgh Steelers 17 BLOWOUT

Snore. The product has sucked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #22
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Alright lesser fans, I'm ready...

Chief, the reason the Packers lost, is NOT because Aaron Rodgers wasn't the best player on the field, he was. The problem was he had 53 lesser players. Green Bay is a 4-12 team without him. And trust me, after winning 8 in a row MUST WIN games, you start to believe.

Chimp, none of the things said last week has changed in truth. Except one, my prediction they would win.

Thank god for Aaron Rodgers. If he isn't on that team the score is closer to 60-0.

The story tonight was the atrocious defense of the Packers. It was utterly exposed and destroyed.

The same defense Dom Capers has been running and failing at for too long. I really don't see him coming back again next year as DC. Then again, Ted Thompson will need to go as well, it's his picks that have drafted soft, undersized talent year after year.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #23
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

While I agree many of the games are boring, I think the final scores can be misleading as sometimes a team runs away with it. When that happens, I simply switch the channel.

I do think the ever-changing rules, the persistent bad calls and drama around it all is off-putting. I'm not invested in any time, although a few of my friends are -- which only serves as ammunition for us to tease them.

VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #24
Terran
Evil Dead

GB has a cast of replacement characters around an excellent QB. That they were one of four teams still standing is pretty impressive. Because their active roster is full of practice squad material. 14 Packers on injury report.
Quote:
Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 PM   #25
GinRummy
Evil Dead

My problem (and many people agree) is that the games take too damn long to play these days. Used to be football could be over in 2 and a half hours, three if it went long. Today, no games go under three and half and sometimes over FOUR HOURS. Don't know if it's all the automatic replay, the added commercial time or rule changes about clock time, but something needs to be done to speed this shit up again. Rant off
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:02 AM   #26
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I should have clarified that the games are boring today but it's the product of what many people have wanted over the years. The old running and defensive games were often exciting if you knew the game. But a lot of people (especially kids) want high scores so they massaged the rules and now you have QBs slinging the ball all of the time and sometimes that still results in a lopsided game. So if it's boring now, it's boring in the way that people asked for.

As for Rodgers, it's hilarious how many excuses are made for this guy. He was not the best player on the field yesterday. He wasn't even the best player at his position yesterday. As for dealing with mediocre or hurt teams, every player in the NFL has to do that at times and some do fine, others don't. If he's this demi-god of a player as some people suggest, then he'd make do. But instead, he starts to whine and complain about calls and he folds. He doesn't even go out like a lot of QBs, leaving every last shred of their soul on the field as they try to inspire the rest of the team to pick it up. He doesn't start making crazy throws in an attempt to win the game, basically on his own. The game plan didn't work and he basically sulked at the end. Again, he is good, but he's not the god he is claimed to be and the excuses that are made for him are somehow not applied to 99% of the other QBs out there.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #27
Terran
Evil Dead

I'm not sure I'm getting a clear enough sense of how you feel about Aaron Rodgers. Can you clarify? Please use incendiary language.
Quote:
Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #28
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I'm not sure I'm getting a clear enough sense of how you feel about Aaron Rodgers. Can you clarify? Please use incendiary language.
Haha... I wouldn't feel the way I feel if he weren't treated like a god by so many. He's just some guy. By many accounts, he's a pretty normal dude off the field. So it's not really him, it's the mania that surrounds him since, thanks to the Favre era, GB is a mass market team.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #29
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Alright lesser fans, I'm ready...

Chief, the reason the Packers lost, is NOT because Aaron Rodgers wasn't the best player on the field, he was. The problem was he had 53 lesser players. Green Bay is a 4-12 team without him. And trust me, after winning 8 in a row MUST WIN games, you start to believe.

Chimp, none of the things said last week has changed in truth. Except one, my prediction they would win.

Thank god for Aaron Rodgers. If he isn't on that team the score is closer to 60-0.

The story tonight was the atrocious defense of the Packers. It was utterly exposed and destroyed.

The same defense Dom Capers has been running and failing at for too long. I really don't see him coming back again next year as DC. Then again, Ted Thompson will need to go as well, it's his picks that have drafted soft, undersized talent year after year.
I'm not underselling Rodgers or his ability; he's very good.
What killed me was how everyone reacted as if he had utterly destroyed or blew out the Cowboys...when he won at the last second by three points.

Plus, he throws tantrums quite frequently when things don't got his way.

It felt good watching them get completely picked apart.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #30
Terran
Evil Dead

I promise, I didn't read this before I posted my complaint about how the playoff games have sucked. Somebody was channeling someone here, lol.

Quote:
Well, there was roughly one game that was well above average and that was the Packers-Cowboys division-round game. Thatís about it. Pretty much every other game was either boring as dirt for the vast majority of its 60 minutes, or it was a complete blowout.
And what did I say? Listed the games' scores, that they were all blowouts or bores (except for the GBvDal game) and then:

Quote:
Snore. The product has sucked.
I need a career change. I can make money on the Internet, lol!
Quote:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #31
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I promise, I didn't read this before I posted my complaint about how the playoff games have sucked. Somebody was channeling someone here, lol.

And what did I say? Listed the games' scores, that they were all blowouts or bores (except for the GBvDal game) and then:

I need a career change. I can make money on the Internet, lol!
You're not wrong; the playoffs were completely dull this year, save one game.

Maybe itsome because of the disappoint loss themail Cowboys had, maybe it's because the goddamned Patriots are going to the Super Bowl again...but, this season feels flat.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #32
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
You're not wrong; the playoffs were completely dull this year, save one game.

Maybe itsome because of the disappoint loss themail Cowboys had, maybe it's because the goddamned Patriots are going to the Super Bowl again...but, this season feels flat.
Vomit to my soul. Patriots in SB again. What a disaster. I would have rather seen the Browns v '9ers. I wrote a "thank you" to 2 of my good friends who are massive Patriot fans yesterday.

"Thank you Patriots for making me come to grips with the nature of reality.

In a year that the Patriots are going to a record 9th Super Bowl, I've been offered an important existential reminder of the unavoidable most apex rule the universe offers up to it's self-aware inhabitants. I am 32 years old and seen enough of the world not to be so naive as to not understand that true justice is an illusion. The universe does not care. Despite being indoctrinated to believe otherwise from the moment of conception that the good wins, justice prevails, and the hero always prevails and gets the girl, this year's events have reminded me that this illusion still has deep roots in my understanding of the dramas that play out each day. I forget that the universe does not care. It offers up no justice. No notion of right or wrong. Sometimes the bad guy wins. Sometimes the hero dies. Sometimes the evil empire squashes the rebel alliance. Nothing brings me back to this reality, this truth so quickly as the Patriots going on to another Super Bowl. Nothing reminds me more of the ultimate absurdity of the "show" that is the human experiment. And while these things, human suffering, the Patriots winning, take pieces out of soul. Chip away at the spirit that exists within me who wants to believe that there is something pure and good about the universe, these things also remind me to keep my feet firmly planted in reality.

Thank you, Patriots."

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #33
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
universe does not care.
And yet you think the Internet somehow does. You have much to learn, padawan.
Quote:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #34
Arionuq
Knight

As a long time Patriots fan (been one since 1985 when I lived in Massachusetts) I am happy that people are bashing Rodgers instead of Brady for once. Oh yeah and your tears about the Patriots in the Super Bowl again? They taste like Ambrosia.
Arionuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #35
Terran
Evil Dead

HIV found in tears; transmission unlikely but possible, especially for Patriots fans.
Quote:
Old 01-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #36
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionuq View Post
As a long time Patriots fan (been one since 1985 when I lived in Massachusetts) I am happy that people are bashing Rodgers instead of Brady for once. Oh yeah and your tears about the Patriots in the Super Bowl again? They taste like Ambrosia.
If you're actually a long-time fan, then you deserve to enjoy the phenomenal run the team has had.

If you're like the vast majority of the fanbase - you know, the group of people who've only been fans so, oh, around 2001 or so - y'all can go fuck yourselves. I hate the Boston/New England fan base.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #37
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Too late: Patriots fan charged with pulling alarm at Steelers' hotel

What an idiot. I feel like with all the betting that goes on with games that there would be more protection against idiocy like this. Obviously there isn't.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #38
Terran
Evil Dead

The Cheatriots and their fans cheating? Say it ain't so! I'm SHOCKED I tell you...SHOCKED!
Quote:
Old 01-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #39
Arionuq
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
If you're actually a long-time fan, then you deserve to enjoy the phenomenal run the team has had.

If you're like the vast majority of the fanbase - you know, the group of people who've only been fans so, oh, around 2001 or so - y'all can go fuck yourselves. I hate the Boston/New England fan base.
People forget how much the Patriots sucked at one point. After they went to the Super Bowl in 85' they went downhill till they hit bottom in 1990, 1-15. Growing up there the fans were always more interested in the other sports teams till Parcells came along.
Arionuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #40
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionuq View Post
People forget how much the Patriots sucked at one point. After they went to the Super Bowl in 85' they went downhill till they hit bottom in 1990, 1-15. Growing up there the fans were always more interested in the other sports teams till Parcells came along.
It's not that they forgot. It's that many of the current fans don't even know how terrible the team was. They didn't care, nor did they pay attention, because the Patriots were a terrible, bottom-feeding team.

They only remember success because that's all they were around for.

Tags
football, nfl, nfl game day, sunday