Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 11:52 AM
15 Replies, 578 Views

Old 04-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

First Alien Covenant Photo Surfaces #AlienDay #AlienDay426

20th Century Fox has released the first photo from the upcoming Ridley Scott film Alien: Covenant.

Quote:
Set as the second chapter in a prequel trilogy that began with Prometheus, Alien: Covenant connects directly to Ridley Scott’s 1979 seminal work of science fiction. It begins with the colony ship Covenant, bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy. There, the crew discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world — whose sole inhabitant is the “synthetic” David, survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
SouljaOfChrist
Dread Lord

I'm excited for this. Hopefully we can get back to some great Alien action. I am a fan of all the Alien stuff, but I would like something closer to Alien and Aliens, rather than Prometheus.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I enjoyed Prometheus a lot, though the story doesn't make sense and the black goo doesn't follow any rules in the movie. I'm certainly up for more movies with the same quality of acting and FX, though I hope for a little more solid story.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
Anemone
Evil Dead

Ridley Scott, SMH, cutting all that awesome material due to some slavish devotion to pacing. He has lost touch with what I want as a consumer of Alien media, specifically a world that is internally-consistent not merely visually dramatic but riddled with plotholes.

Indeed he has become for me Riddled Scott, for all the problems with his last film. I have little hope he can make another film in this series that will leave me unreservedly enthused.

There has not been, to my mind, another worthy Alien film since Aliens (2) in 1986 of all things.

Swear, the 80's were a golden era and never to be replicated. We no longer get films like not only Aliens, but we no longer get Goonies, or Gremlins, or Pee-Wee Hermans Big Adventure, no more Flight of the Navigator or the other one that I can never remember the name of (Explorers! it's called Explorers).

No more, The Black Hole, Back to the Future, where art thou oh Robocop, oh Ghostbusters, an ode to thee Breakfast Club and Empire Strikes Back, who can elaborate more the virtues of Wrath of Khan, or E.T., we still remember thee oh Platoon and Princess Bride, you remain ever in our hearts oh Raiders of the Last Ark and Temple of Doom, AND Last Crusade!, we cannot forget Terminator, nor Labyrinth, we all remember Daaryl Hanna in Splash, and young Tom Cruise in Legend, or even Tom Hanks in Big!, what about such classics for the ages as Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, or Top Gun, was there ever a decade that produced such classics as Poltergeist or Footloose or Dirty Dancing or Footloose, can any of us forget Lost Boys or Beetlejuice?; I doubt it, much less The Karate Kid or Weekend at Bernie's; I dare say I could watch the movies of the 80's for the rest of my life and feel I have no missed much else save rarely, some movies will always have a place on my shelf such as Predator or The Last Emperor, some we still rewatch with our own kids, The Little Mermaid and The Fox and the Hound, products of an era where political correctness had not yet undermined the moral messages given to children, we gloried in Field of Dreams, Mad Max, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, this is not mere the product of idolizing one's youth, this was certainly a unique decade unlike those before or after; has any decade produced so many classics? Stand by Me and Akira, the Abyss and The Neverending Story, Batman and The Fly, Bloodsport, The Blue Lagoon, the list just keeps going. Caddyshak, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, Pretty in Pink, etc., etc., etc.

Cinema thereafter became too expensive to be a casual affair. Suddenly every movie began costing many, many millions. You couldn't take a risk on something that might do okay or might do gangbusters, every movie had to shoot for gangbusters and hit the widest possible audience.

This is ultimately what corrupts the industry, because the mass-market tastes are also the lowest common denominator. Thus have movies to a large extent become formulaic, hyper-starified, and marketed up the ass.

There are notable exceptions here and there, naturally. But neither the 90's nor the 2000's produced such a panoply of classics as the single decade of the 80's, that golden point in time. The 70's too has its golden moments, but few shine so bright as the 80's.

Alas, living in the breakdown period of the American empire, we can perhaps only look forward to more debasement and corruption of every pursuit until the end.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Alas, living in the breakdown period of the American empire, we can perhaps only look forward to more debasement and corruption of every pursuit until the end.
Well, at least we have that going for us, which is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:08 AM   #6
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

I'm not going to disagree with the general sentiment of your post Anemone, but...... Alien came out in the 70s.......
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #7
Wolfe
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
I'm not going to disagree with the general sentiment of your post Anemone, but...... Alien came out in the 70s.......
To be fair, he doesn't reference the first film but rather Aliens :P
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:39 AM   #8
Wolfe
Soul Reaper

And Anemone. That post of yours is well written, insightful and spot on!
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alien covenant