Red Dead Redemption 2...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 06:32 AM
7 Replies, 403 Views

Old 04-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Colossal Giants Await in 'Extinction' for PS4, Xbox One and PC

Iron Galaxy and Modus Games have announced the release of Extinction for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC

Quote:
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (April 10, 2018) — Humanity must survive! Save the population from colossal giants in the new action adventure game, Extinction, available today from Iron Galaxy and Modus Games.

Play as Avil, one of the last remaining Sentinels and the only warrior equipped with the skills to take down the fearsome Ravenii. These 150-foot-tall bloodthirsty monsters were previously only spoken of in fables, but today they return with a vengeance.

“When we first brainstormed the idea behind Extinction, we thought wouldn’t it be cool to scale these giant monsters and use actual, real-time combat skills to cut them down,” said Derek Neal, Executive Producer at Modus Games. “With the help of the amazing team at Iron Galaxy, we’re so excited to finally have players put those skills to test.”

“From the very beginning, Extinction was a game about two things: strategy and combat,” said Kraig Kujawa, Game Director at Iron Galaxy. “Every situation you encounter is going to force you to think strategically - do I battle my way through a horde of minions to save this group of civilians or do I scale up this tower to jump on the back of the ogre who’s destroying the city?”

Featuring a single-player campaign with dynamic side missions, players will be able to master ultra-flexible melee combat and gravity-defying traversal mechanics throughout the world of Dolorum.

Other features include:
  • Skill-Based Combat. Travel horizontally and vertically, perform wall runs, and use your whip as a vault to execute devastating air assaults. Master dynamic combat maneuvers to effectively traverse the giant beasts and expose their weak points, progressing along different skill trees to develop a path best suited to your playstyle.
  • Interactive Environment. Move freely around a fully destructible environment, and use objects throughout the world to your strategic advantage.
  • Innumerable Battle Scenarios. Every battlefield is different from the last, ensuring a unique combat situation each time you play.
  • Skirmish Mode. Create unique battlegrounds and challenge players online to compete for the top score.
  • Extinction Mode. Fight off a continuous horde of assailants as wave after wave of ogres and their minions attack without relent.
Extinction launches today on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One and Windows PC, digitally and in stores. Its first DLC titled “Jackal Invasion” drops in May and is available to purchase separately or as part of the “Days of Dolorum” Season Pass.
Click on the Headline for the Trailer.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
Exodus
Evil Dead

skill based combat.

the marketing person had to really reach there.

They literally could have made an attack on titan clone and it would have done 1000x better, made more money because what koei is doing is fucking pathetic. It's a dynasty warrios game.

This guys, is the perfect most recent example of when you let the wrong person be in charge of direction. lol

And, I just gotta ask. Why do western developers just suck at making fantasy combat in video games? They have the fps/shooters that are solid. No question. Doom/Quake was born here. But when it comes to melee fantasy combat what the hell holds a candle to batyonetta, dmc, dark souls in terms of satisfying work as fast as you can think combat. If they gave the matrix ip to platinum games right now it would be 1000x better than what shiny did and I fucking love shiny. EWJ is amazing but what they did to the matrix ip is forever sad.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

I'll torrent it to see if it's any good. If it is, I'll buy it, otherwise it's getting deleted.

When I saw the first trailer way back I got excited, but the more I see of this game, the more I fear it will suck hard.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The couple reviews I watched despise it. Very little game for the asking price, repetitive and laughably easy. Pure developer laziness.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
Exodus
Evil Dead

I feel bad for them but they did create a game. It's just, the hero's ugly as fuck, the enemies are random generic looking ogre/troll/orc/giant dudez. The style seems inspired by some kung fu/avatar ideas but really from what I've seen is a watered down idea of it with none of the charm.

I don't even know what they are going for the combat makes god of war 2 seem next gen being on par with...the original soul reaver with its standard attack combo. "Running up giants is some next gen shit guys and puts us on par with sotc". HAW.

OTOH. At least someone's trying on this side of the ocean. It's about 20% the quality of let's say...

Old 04-11-2018, 03:28 AM   #7
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
It's about 20% the quality of let's say...

Hey, is that the project by the guy who devoured Monty Oum's essence after his mysterious death? Looks excellent (maybe a bit style-over-substance), but is it ever going to come out?

Edit: On the topic of "Extinction", I got nothing. At least nothing I haven't said before...
Old 04-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
They literally could have made an attack on titan clone and it would have done 1000x better, made more money because what koei is doing is fucking pathetic. It's a dynasty warrios game.
They did make an Attack on Titan clone. They just replaced the Titans with Warhammer Orcs and called it good.

It's also been reviewing pretty terribly.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:34 AM   #9
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
They did make an Attack on Titan clone. They just replaced the Titans with Warhammer Orcs and called it good.

It's also been reviewing pretty terribly.
it's only close to attack on titan in that it has a giant dude. small army of orcs and the lead character an old dude that looks like karazhim from hots or tensen from kora ain't anywhere near it.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:56 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
it's only close to attack on titan in that it has a giant dude. small army of orcs and the lead character an old dude that looks like karazhim from hots or tensen from kora ain't anywhere near it.
There are multiple giant adversaries attacking the last bastion of humanity. The fact that there are also some smaller enemies is really the only thing differentiating this from AoT in a meaningful way. Besides, it's not as if there weren't small Titans running around in AoT; the shortest are around 3 meters tall, which is just under 10ft. They're big by human standards, but small enough to be similar to the small orcs in this game.

Everything else is just arguing semantics. It's an AoT ripoff in every way that's meaningful. The aesthetics are different, but everything else is essentially the same.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #11
Exodus
Evil Dead

Right. I mean main story protagonist I expect can tranform into a giant too being a pretty big thing about AoT but hey you it looks like your autism is showing. Or hell bipolar. Pick one you're either lol
Old 04-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #12
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Is it weird that I thought this was FF XV at first glance?
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:41 AM   #13
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
Is it weird that I thought this was FF XV at first glance?
I guess it's safe to assume that the character design and color palettes were heavily influenced by FFXV. I just hope there will be a game beneath all those flashy combos and dodge rolls...
Old 04-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Right. I mean main story protagonist I expect can tranform into a giant too being a pretty big thing about AoT but hey you it looks like your autism is showing. Or hell bipolar. Pick one you're either lol
So....being able to compare similarities between two properties means I'm autistic?

I know the current trend is to use "autistic" instead of "retarded"...but you're not even doing it correctly, man.

The general premise is pretty much the same. Sure, the particulars are going to be different...but this doesn't change the fact that the general premise is essentially the same. You can either be a pedant and argue all of the differing details or just accept the fact that it's basically an AoT ripoff.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 04-13-2018 at 05:33 AM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I have this game sitting shrinkwrapped waiting to be returned to BestBuy if that tells you anything.

Tags
extinction, iron galaxy