Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day...
Last post by Chimpbot
Yesterday 10:52 AM
22 Replies, 1,997 Views

Old 06-02-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - Go Go Godzilla!

We caught Godzilla: King of the Monsters on Saturday afternoon. Overall, it was a fun movie with a lot of great monsters and some hints at the end about the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong movie.

There are a few little mis-steps. The human characters again eat up too much of the screen time — only this time they don’t have Brian Cranston to fall back on. For the most part the human characters bog down the movie and their acting varies from cheesy to outright bad.

Adding to that, the human characters fly around in a giant Superplane the whole movie. Monarch went from an agency barely having any funding at the end of Kong to a global superpower with a giant Evil undersea lair, a superplane capable of launching multiple Osprey, hidden bunkers around the globe and a nuclear submarine. Your tax dollars at work, I guess.

We loved seeing Mothra fight Rodan. The Godzilla vs King Gidorah battles were slightly less impressive. Godzilla always seemed to be on the losing end of those battles and Gidorah’s head never looked as “realistic” as Godzilla.

This kinda tops off our summer movie watching. I don’t think I’ll head out to Men in Black, though I am temped to catch Midsommar before Spider-Man: Far from Home. Dad says he is skipping Spier-Man, I think he has super hero burnout.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I'm waiting for this to hit home video.

I have super hero burnout too
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I'm waiting for this to hit home video.

I have super hero burnout too
After Captain Marvel, it feels like the quality of the Marvel films has dropped significantly. Spider-Man: Far From Home looks like something that if you skipped it you wouldn’t be missing much of anything.

They need to give some serious thought to where they should go with “Wave 4” or I think you will start to see some seriously diminishing returns.

I don’t expect Spider-Man will do that great. Endgame kinda sucked all the air out of the room as far as super-hero movies go.

Brightburn was a nice breather and it felt a ton like a “DC” film should feel like. I hope they decide to come back and do another one. I didn’t catch it when I was watching the movie, but one of the characters they talked about was Rainn Wilson’s character from Super.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
There are a few little mis-steps. The human characters again eat up too much of the screen time — only this time they don’t have Brian Cranston to fall back on. For the most part the human characters bog down the movie and their acting varies from cheesy to outright bad.
I would actually argue that the first one didn't have Brian Cranston to fall back on, seeing as how he was barely in the movie.

The first one really sucked. It was by the guy who did "Monsters", that giant monster movie with barely any giant monsters in it. He repeated that with Godzilla (2014), where Godzilla was mostly teased and we only got action at the very end. That guy does not understand giant monster movies, I have no idea how he got the job.

Also, after re-watching the first one prior to going to the new one, watching Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen as husband and wife is really creepy after seeing them as brother and sister in Age of Ultron...

This one definitely had more monsters and more monster battles in it, so thumbs up on that. However, (plot spoiler) [I liked this story better when it was told with 6 Power Stones and big purple guy. You would think they could come up with something more original than to rip-off the overall plot of the most popular superhero movie franchise in history].

Also it felt REALLY REALLY long mainly because it dragged a lot in the middle with the uninteresting characters as you noted. And that super-plane? You have beasts that take down tiny aircraft with no issues, but they can't seem to touch this slow hulking plane flying in the middle of them? A Helicarrier this was not.

It's definitely worth seeing if you like these types of movies. The best part, though, was they had the original Godzilla music! Woo!
Old 06-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Also, what the hell was up with the beginning of this trailer? This is the one I remember the most, and that bit that looks like she is in a bunker wasn't in the movie at all.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

It's worth noting that the Monarch we saw in Skull Island was 50-something years younger than the one we saw in Godzilla or King of the Monsters; that movie was set in the 70s and was essentially the origin of the group. The flying fortress was a bit much (although it was right in line with what we typically see in Godzilla flicks), but their secret bases weren't much different than the one we saw in Godzilla 2014.

As for Godzilla being on the losing end of the fights...he always is when he's the hero/anti-hero of the story. He's more dominant in movies like King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, or GMK because he was the villain. When he's the hero, he definitely takes a bunch of lumps (and occasionally gets paralyzed).
Old 06-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Also, what the hell was up with the beginning of this trailer? This is the one I remember the most, and that bit that looks like she is in a bunker wasn't in the movie at all.

Right! The trailers had a whole bit where she is in a bunker and getting on the radio that wasn’t in the movie.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #8
EmoryM
Lord

When Cranston died in the last movie... man, I wish his son had died instead. Having your son die carries a lot more weight than having your father die, we could have had a really great performance instead of whatever we got (I can't remember what the humans were doing in that movie.)

Tangent: I just watched Good Omens - most of it was quite good. No Godzillas, though.
EmoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #9
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

I thought I would like this a lot more than I did. As others have noted, there was just way too much of boring human talk. And every time we got a battle between monsters, they had to inject some people in the middle that I guess we were supposed to care about.

I won't get into spoilers. It was fine, the cinematography was beautiful, the monsters looked badass (although I'm with EA in regards to Ghidorah's face), and the fights were cool. There were too many close-ups during the fights, however, where you couldn't always follow everything because they decided to zoom in on Godzilla's face.

Also, I know a lot of what went on is similar to the traditional Japanese Godzilla films, but in these new ones, it takes place in a more realistic world, which makes certain things feel out of place and weird. Like the super airplane.

Anyways, I can see myself watching this in the future and fast forwarding through a lot of stuff to get to the really cool moments. Because there are some really cool moments. It's kind of sad how low this is performing in the box office. Do people only come out for comic book films now? Even though I have problems with this film, I still hope it kicks ass financially so they continue making these.

Hopefully next years' Godzilla vs Kong remedy's a lot of my issues. I really like the director they have on it, Adam Wingard.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:40 AM   #10
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Godzilla: King of the Monsters. (Contains Spoilers and canned tuna!)
There’s two ways to review this and, due to this, here’s the first:

Have you seen Godzilla, the 2014 version? Have you seen Skull Island (2017)? Both films are in the same universe and are related. I gave Godzilla 4/10 for far too much human screen time. Skull Island, for me, was a solid 7/10. It would have been 10, but even Brie Larson couldn’t make that happen.

The thing with summer (ish) blockbusters is that you want to be entertained. Big explosions, monster fights, but Godzilla K.O.M suffers from the same dross that was featured in Godzilla. I watch a Godzilla film to be entertained, maybe even feel a bit of silly dread, or wonder at the immense monster brawls. What we receive, instead, is an overbearing film that throws in a load of cliché-ridden moments that I’ve/we’ve seen so many times. It gets tiring. The family suffering from a loss, that’s thrown at you so many, many times. For once it would be great for the humans to utterly fail, in every single way, leaving the monster/hero to save the actual day.

But, no. Just… simply… no. The action was okay, passable, with the 2014 version featuring better fights. Skull Island, in my small opinion, was a much better film on every single level. Not one moment equalled the slick opening scenes of Skull Island (OMG slow motion Brie!).

Millie Bobby Brown (Stranger Things, not the singer) is going to be a huge star, as long as the glitz and media doesn't destroy her. Her emotional range is far, far beyond any other individual in the entire film.

If you’re bored, have fun. If not… don’t bother.

Here’s the second way to review the film:
I wanted to take this film seriously. Sure, okay, I like fiction as I write a lot of it (Although people take some of it ‘literally’, which scares me). I mean, sure, okay, soldering a broken computer audio hybrid device, in the rain, was a stretch. Circuit boards usually don’t like that sort of thing.
If you take this film seriously, for even a second, you’ll regret it. You’ll end up leaving your job, to live out of a suitcase, wandering from town to town feeding stray dogs. Your life will change and on that final day, you’ll ask baby (ripped) Jesus one question, “Why?”
Sigh. I cannot even say that it was fun.
Conclusion: Watch Skull Island again.

Positives:
-Godzilla’s CGI was quite good.
-Special effects were nice (Although everything was, once again, dark).
-Millie B Brown rocks.
-Road Pika House.
-End credits mention Skull Island.

Negatives:
-King Ghidorah looked plastic and a bit pants, in a few scenes.
-Not enough actual monster mayhem.
-No Brie Larson (Dammit)
-Sloppy everything else.

Last edited by excalibur1814; 06-05-2019 at 02:04 AM..
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pure evil