State of Decay 2 Reviews...
Last post by NightRain
Today 08:44 AM
12 Replies, 1,330 Views

Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Medievaldragon
Squire

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm – Kerrigan: Hope and Vengeance # 0 Free Comics

Blizzard Entertainment published a free digital comics titled StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm – Kerrigan: Hope and Vengeance # 0.

This free digital comics was introduced in the 8-pages digital format, as an experiment. Depending on the numbers, if this Free Comics succeeds to reach a desired threshold of downloads, Blizzard Entertainment might expand the StarCraft II, Diablo III and World of Warcraft universe with new stories in this format.

This 8-pages format became popular with Chris Metzen (Blizzard VP of Creative Development) and Flint Dille’s Transformers: Autocracy.

The fanbase and the numbers are definitely there to make this project succeed. Many StarCraft II and World of Warcraft novels have become New York Times Best Sellers for a reason. Many fans love to read lore behind their favorite characters and in-game plots.

This free digital comics is available for PC/Mac internet browsers, smartphones and tablets from Amazon, Comixology, Barnes & Noble and DC Entertainment.
Medievaldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Thanks for the heads-up! My collection of free comics on Comixology grows.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Medievaldragon
Squire

Very welcome. Cameron Dayton announced a few minutes ago he was promoted to Senior Story Developer. Pretty cool achievement.

This free comic is a test to probe how many people reads it. Blizzard is planning to publish 8-page stories based on Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo to expand their universe.

Blizzard's Chris Metzen and Flint Dille published Transformers: Autocracy last year. It had the same format Blizzard is introducing with this free comics. 8-pages a month. 12 parts. A year later, the Transformers: Autocracy was printed as a Graphic Novel (Hardcover) with 120 pages.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Since they are digital will the comics automatically redact themselves when Blizzard does one of their (frequent) retcons?

I keed! (a little). I'm a sucker for the lore of these universes. Warcraft has the best lore of the three, IMO, but SC and Diablo aren't so bad.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
lockwoodx
Photobomber

I might have to check this out. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Wait , is this out or about to be out? Because I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to grab the comic on Amazon/Kindle.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
Wait , is this out or about to be out? Because I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to grab the comic on Amazon/Kindle.
Seems like it's available. I just followed the links from the article and Amazon has it posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...izzplanet0e-20
Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

I DEMAND MOAR LORE!

I agree Warcraft has among the best, but I think that's only because WoW kept driving it. I think Starcraft has the best potential, but that there hasn't been enough until recently to develop it.

I still remember when they announced SC2 at Blizzcon after the website teasers all week. My girlfriend wondered what the hell just happened since I had shouted for joy at the top of my lungs when I saw "It's about time"
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Medievaldragon
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Since they are digital will the comics automatically redact themselves when Blizzard does one of their (frequent) retcons?

I keed! (a little). I'm a sucker for the lore of these universes. Warcraft has the best lore of the three, IMO, but SC and Diablo aren't so bad.
Hi Valor. Glad you asked. The answer is: Yes.

During my interview with Chris Metzen and Flint Dille (Feb 14, 2012), I asked the very same question. This was his answer:
Autocracy # 2 was very harsh. How does Orion Pax copes with his orders knowing his duty to Zeta Prime makes him a harbinger of mass destruction upon the very citizens he’s sworn to protect?

Metzen: He doesn’t know yet how bad things are. He doesn’t know the extent of Zeta’s plans (he wasn’t in the room to hear any of this). In general, since he’s having trouble FEELING/Hearing his conscience – one could argue he’s operating through intense tunnel-vision. He doesn’t yet see how bad things are out there in the world – or what that means to him personally.

Obviously, he was in the zone when he stood up to the Senate… clear-minded, compassionate, selfless… But when his ‘heart’ got ripped out… Well, he just ain’t been the same since. However, can you imagine how PISSED he’d be if he saw that video footage Soundwave made off with???

I have been a subscriber of Marvel Digital for a few years. I love the digital library concept. Let’s say that fans — best editors when it comes to continuum inconsistencies — find some retcons, or mistakes in Autocracy. Are you actually able to correct these in Transformers: Autocracy digital at any time? If so, how do you feel about having that sort of control?

Metzen: See answer above regarding said Sentinel/Nominus snafu… Hell yes, I’d like to FIX bits and pieces of this!!!! ? We’ll see about modifying digital content. Not sure what IDW’s plan is for that.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
Medievaldragon
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
  • Login using your Amazon account.
  • Click the link to the Kerrigan: Hope and Vengeance # 0 Free comics.
  • Select Kindle Cloud Reader (or other options)
  • You will see the "Buy now with 1 click" button. Click it.
  • In the next page, click the "Read now in Kindle Cloud Reader" button.

Enjoy! To zoom in to read text, double-click on the frames you wish to zoom. Click above or below the zoomed block to zoom out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzicc View Post
I DEMAND MOAR LORE!

I agree Warcraft has among the best, but I think that's only because WoW kept driving it. I think Starcraft has the best potential, but that there hasn't been enough until recently to develop it.

I still remember when they announced SC2 at Blizzcon after the website teasers all week. My girlfriend wondered what the hell just happened since I had shouted for joy at the top of my lungs when I saw "It's about time"
There are two upcoming Warcraft graphic novels -- in the works the past 3 years.

World of Warcraft: Bloodsworn (Horde)
World of Warcraft: Dark Riders (Alliance)

On the StarCraft side, there is a graphic novel in the works. There was a Comic Book series that lasted about 8-9 issues.

StarCraft (by Simon Furman, 2010)
StarCraft Graphic Novel (non-dated, maybe Fall 2013)

Cameron Dayton (Senior Story Developer) said today via Twitter the following about Diablo lore:
"we've got more Diablo Tales brewing already - stories of gothic horror and suspense inbound!"
https://twitter.com/CameronDayton/st...00695253528577

In addition, the Kerrigan: Hope and Vengeance comic was a test. It became Amazon #1 Best seller Graphic Novel and either # 1 or # 2 in other categories.

I guess it was a success. The test was to see if there was an audience for this 8-pages format. We will now see more of these in upcoming months for Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo.

As mentioned in the article, Chris Metzen and Flint Dille wrote Transformers: Autocracy for IDW Publishing using this very same format. The 12-part story was introduced as an 8-pages every two weeks.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

So I decided to download Comixology, download the Starcraft book, and checkout some of these stories people are talking about that I've missed over the last 30 years since I stopped collecting.

And I'll be damned if I can get any part of it to work. I have the app on my iPad and created an account via the iPad but I can't get to www.comixology.com (it times out) much less confirm my account which has a much more complicated comixology.com path (and has to happen via a web browser) so I have no ability to use their app.

Any suggestions? It seems like this is one of the few apps that will let me get the back issues I want as well as keep current once I decide I like a book.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
So I decided to download Comixology, download the Starcraft book, and checkout some of these stories people are talking about that I've missed over the last 30 years since I stopped collecting.

And I'll be damned if I can get any part of it to work. I have the app on my iPad and created an account via the iPad but I can't get to www.comixology.com (it times out) much less confirm my account which has a much more complicated comixology.com path (and has to happen via a web browser) so I have no ability to use their app.

Any suggestions? It seems like this is one of the few apps that will let me get the back issues I want as well as keep current once I decide I like a book.
OK, I think I know what's happening. Apparently over the next few days Marvel is releasing some 700 #1 issues from various franchises for free and it has been bringing the site to it's knees.

It's too bad that even when I can get to the site I can't take advantage of the special, that sounds like it might be a perfect launching platform to getting me caught up with the new twists on some of my old favorites.

Tags
android, blizzard entertainment, digital comics, ipad, starcraft ii