Dragged Across Concrete
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 07:18 AM
2 Replies, 247 Views

Old 02-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
Jetherik
Editor in Chief

Weekend Gamer: What are you playing?

With record rain and snow in Arizona, what better excuse to play on the computer and be safe inside! What are you playing?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Thanks to that recent story about Elite Dangerous, I might actually pick it up and give it a whirl. Seems like it could be fun, especially as something to mess around with in between other games.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Booda
Beam another Blast

Finally giving Metro 2033 a play through (with Last Light & Exodus to follow). A very subpar FPS with fantastic atmosphere/sound design.

I'm a huge fan of Tarkovsky's film 'Stalker' so this plays right into my wheelhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetherik View Post

With record rain and snow in Arizona...
My sister & brother-in-law have been living in Tucson for the past 15 years & haven't seen anything like this. I got a pic sent to me earlier today of one of my nieces building a snowman.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Thanks to that recent story about Elite Dangerous, I might actually pick it up and give it a whirl. Seems like it could be fun, especially as something to mess around with in between other games.
Prepare to not have time for other games.

Do every tutorial and avoid Open multiplayer for at least a couple days. If you want player interaction restricted to coop join Mobius. Everybody there is friendly and cool. I don’t know what your controller situation is but with practice I got pretty good with the 360 controller before upgrading to a vastly superior HOTAS two weeks later. Honestly the game is designed with a thruster and joystick first and makes combat a joy.

The fastest way to get out of your starter ship and move up in the world slightly is to hang around resource sites following the local space cops as they attack wanted ships. Never shoot anybody until it says in red letters WANTED. I think the only thing I bought for my starting Sidewinder (besides fuel) was a chaff launcher. Always have at least three times the amount of money needed to rebuy your stuff in case you die. Don’t hesitate to run away. Keep an eye on the fuel and learn the scoopable star types. I don’t think I left my first system until buying a very fast Viper. The early game ship advancement is great. Don’t think about the Anaconda for half a year. Avoid the engineers until you have a good mid tier ship you find yourself using all the time. Remember to ask permission to land at every outpost, space station, etc and don’t dick around for too long when leaving or they will kill you. Think of yourself as a tiny fish surrounded by bigger asshole fish and gigantic sharks. One day you can be a shark with billions upon billions of credits. When I reached that point all challenge left the game and I look back at those first weeks and months with fondness.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #5
CthulhuFan
Squire

Continuing escapades in ESO doing stupid shit like reading lore and filling out the 3D map in Vvardenfell and just generally dicking off.

Prototyping arcade controller setups at a friends place tomorrow after having turned him on to MAME ... He's good at woodworking, I'm good with electronics and we're both old arcade nerds so we are having a ball messing around with stuff...
CthulhuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Finished a Dragon Age: Inquisition playthrough and started another, completely changed a majority of choices from the previous games to see what impact if any it gives on dialog/situations. Pretty much just staying occupied til The Division 2 ships in a few weeks.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Will be playing Anthem! And new Tomb Raider, RE2 maybe. And I finally tried Far Cry New Dawn and found out that holy crap it's actually good and politics free, and the black chicks ARE the bad guys. WOW. Did not see that coming AT ALL. Freaking Naughty Dog could learn a lesson from Ubisoft.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
Skunk
Evil Dead

Pre-Ordered MW5 so I'm back into MWO for a little bit, since they gave me a bunch of in-game gold with the pre-order. Bought a "Hero" mech and having a blast with it.

Other than that, I'm inexplicably playing classic EverQuest again 20 years later on Project 1999's server. It's just as hard and fun as I remember it, but also just as slooowww.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #9
HillTribe
Evil Dead

Sea of thieves! Been having a blast with this game.
HillTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
Meeks
Evil Dead

Anthem and some Rocket League
Old 02-23-2019, 04:29 AM   #11
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Eh, spending time with a bunch of games recently.

Resident Evil 2 daily
Far Cry New Dawn daily
Anthem - been trying to get into it but not sure I really am digging it. Kind of meh so far.

Crackdown 3 seems like perfect mindless fun. Great for listening to podcasts and stuff. Playing it right now actually.

Still playing Dusk, sincerely love that game.

Still playing a few rounds of PUBG every day or so.

Also got back into The Forest. I tried it in VR and that hooked me. Playing without enemies for now until I can craft and survive quickly, then I'll try with enemies again.

Looking forward to the new TRIALS which I just realized comes out next week! Trials for life!

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Same, I am going to split my weekend between Elite Dangerous and Shadow of War. I never got far in the PS4 version of Elite, so Iím literally just starting the game.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTribe View Post
Sea of thieves! Been having a blast with this game.
Sweet! We should schedule a day to crew together. Iíve got it on the PC, but I think it does cross platform play.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #14
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuFan View Post
Continuing escapades in ESO doing stupid shit like reading lore and filling out the 3D map in Vvardenfell and just generally dicking off.

Prototyping arcade controller setups at a friends place tomorrow after having turned him on to MAME ... He's good at woodworking, I'm good with electronics and we're both old arcade nerds so we are having a ball messing around with stuff...
That sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #15
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Sweet! We should schedule a day to crew together. Iíve got it on the PC, but I think it does cross platform play.
It is cross platform!
Old 02-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #16
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Same, I am going to split my weekend between Elite Dangerous and Shadow of War. I never got far in the PS4 version of Elite, so Iím literally just starting the game.
Same here too (elite). I picked it up for the PC awhile back, and put about 8 hours into it. I loved what I was playing, but it is a huge time sink.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetherik View Post
With record rain and snow in Arizona, what better excuse to play on the computer and be safe inside! What are you playing?
Got a ton of snow here too, but then I live in the north.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #18
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

My northern Maine friends already got over 120 inches of snow this year.

Pretty crazy.

Playing:
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Smash Bros Ultimate
FFXIV
Yakuza Kiwami

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #19
CthulhuFan
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
That sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck.
Thanks, we're having a lot of fun so far just dorking around. A lot of folks don't get how prototyping works so they say "Wow, that's a shit design" or they just don't generally get the idea that we are fucking around trying to make sure shit works right before we commit to a really nice final design; all they see is the 2x4s and they think we're jank. Hopefully this picture comes across ...

Old 02-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #20
CthulhuFan
Squire