2,939 Replies, 399,977 Views
A small request
Last post by blackzc
Today 12:22 AM
32 Replies, 1,019 Views

Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Resident Evil 7: biohazard Reviews - "went beyond my expectations" #ResidentEvil7

Destructoid - 10/10

Quote:
I had hoped to enjoy Resident Evil 7 for what it appeared to be: a strange, Western approach to the series. I didn't expect it to hark so close to the series' roots while managing to still bring some action and more intuitive controls. Production-wise, this is the best Capcom's ever done, with believable performances (wait 'til you see the Baker's son. Something about him is so freakishly real to me) and wonderfully creepy audio design. With or without VR, Capcom nailed the pulse-pounding atmosphere and I am finally legitimately excited to see what it's going to do next. Though the enemy design could have been more varied, the bosses more than make up for that. The last hour and boss is slightly underwhelming, but everything up to that is consistently amazing. Resident Evil 7 went beyond my expectations, and I feel we have an instant classic here. I want to jump back in right now, and I have a feeling I'll be doing so for years to come.
GamesRadar - 4.5/5

Quote:
However you play it, Resident Evilís back. Completely different and yet instantly familiar. Compared to the bloated action of the last few installments this is literally a Resi revelation, executing modern horror ideas, interesting characters, locations, and a fantastic atmosphere to create something that can stand proudly among its sources. Itís about as an essential a horror experience as you can get.
Game Informer - 8.5/10

Quote:
Capcom has successfully reinvented Resident Evil in the past, the most notable deviation being the brilliant Resident Evil 4. This new vision doesnít reach the same heights of spectacle and gameplay innovation as that breakthrough release, but is a welcome addition to the series (both in terms of gameplay and lore), and a nice entry point for newcomers.
GameSpot - 8/10

Quote:
By the end of the campaign, I was ready for the game to be over, but that's okay. RE7 ends just as it starts to outstay its welcome, and after the fact, I felt like I'd survived a truly harrowing journey. The boss fights may be slightly inconsistent and certain sections might drag after a while, but RE7 is still a remarkable success. It has a clear vision and executes it with impressive patience and precision. By returning to horror, Resident Evil has once again become something special.
IGN - 7.7/10

Quote:
Resident Evil 7 grounds itself in elements that made the original great while still indulging in a risky new shift in style that both helps and hurts the beloved formula in equal measure. But itís also the closest a numbered sequel has come to recapturing Resident Evilís slow, but thrilling and atmospheric adventure game roots in a while ó a welcome return that I truly hope to see more of in the future.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

This went from "not even being remotely on my radar" to "actually considering a purchase" in no time flat; I wasn't expecting such a solid reception.

I'm glad they've abandoned the grand ridiculousness of the latter part of the series, instead opting to hew closer to the first three games in terms of action and tone. I much preferred the more isolated areas from the first three games as opposed to the grand bioterrorism plots of 5 and 6.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 01-23-2017 at 12:11 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Very exciting, going to play it on PSVR.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
Very exciting, going to play it on PSVR.
You brave, brave man.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
Transylmania
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
This went from "not even being remotely on my radar" to "actually considering a purchase" in no time flat; I wasn't expecting such a solid reception.
A few months back I thought I would probably buy RE7 after I see some review for it and maybe a discount. But after seeing some game play videos and listening to the developers talk about the game I got stoked pretty quick. One 2-part youtube video worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4XOvQmWuVI part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEYr1XweUZ0 part 2
Transylmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Texas Chainsaw Evil 7 will never top Resident Evil 4. But at least this is a step on the right direction after 6.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

No Mercenaries mode, so now this drops down to rental at best.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
Texas Chainsaw Evil 7 will never top Resident Evil 4. But at least this is a step on the right direction after 6.
I don't understand the love for that game. As soon as I was running away from a deranged midget dressed as napolean and driving a giant mechanized version of himself, I was like " this is just garbage..."
Old 01-24-2017, 12:12 AM   #9
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I don't understand the love for that game. As soon as I was running away from a deranged midget dressed as napolean and driving a giant mechanized version of himself, I was like " this is just garbage..."
In a series know for its camp and over-the-top sequences, that is the hardly the worst sin the series has committed.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:09 AM   #10
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
I'm one of those people who thought "Resident Evil 4" was the best RE game. Besides impressive visuals, solid controls and a near-perfect auto-difficulty level, it had exactly the right mix of suspense, fear and empowerment for me. I believe not that many people enjoy running away/hiding/cowering in fear all the time. This might work for a USD 19.99 title like "Amnesia: The Dark Descent", but even that one only ever sold at discounted price points. As soon as you go full-price, your game is bound to fail (see the critically acclaimed "Alien: Isolation").

On the other hand, the polished visuals of RE5 couldn't mask the fact that the action felt clunky, and the story was even more of a mess than RE4's. I did enjoy upgrading my characters and playing co-op, but the Biohazard/RE formula was barely reconizable at this point. Enter "Resident Evil 6". What a mess. I only ever finished one of the campaigns because my RE5 co-op partner insisted we give it a try.

So, yeah, I'd say Resident Evil 4 was the best of the bunch. Part 1 and 2 got by on amazing graphics (for the time) and a surprising amount of violence (again, for the time). After the formula got stale in RE3 and the Dreamcast flopped (Code Veronica was too hard for mainstream gamers, anyway), RE4 stood out like a shining beacon during the PS2/Xbox/GC console war!
Old 01-24-2017, 03:49 AM   #11
alienchild
Subscriber

Quote:
This times a thousand! Yes the story in Resi 1-3 was dumb as all hell but not in a "midget driving a concrete mech" kind of way. While the gamplay itself was groundbreaking the atmosphere was all but gone. Resi 1-3 made you care about the locations you were in and those places were part of the story. In Resi 4 everything felt more like an obstacle course.

As for Resi 7 I will pick it up ASAP!
alienchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:11 AM   #12
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I'm one of those people who thought "Resident Evil 4" was the best RE game. Besides impressive visuals, solid controls and a near-perfect auto-difficulty level, it had exactly the right mix of suspense, fear and empowerment for me. I believe not that many people enjoy running away/hiding/cowering in fear all the time. This might work for a USD 19.99 title like "Amnesia: The Dark Descent", but even that one only ever sold at discounted price points. As soon as you go full-price, your game is bound to fail (see the critically acclaimed "Alien: Isolation").

On the other hand, the polished visuals of RE5 couldn't mask the fact that the action felt clunky, and the story was even more of a mess than RE4's. I did enjoy upgrading my characters and playing co-op, but the Biohazard/RE formula was barely reconizable at this point. Enter "Resident Evil 6". What a mess. I only ever finished one of the campaigns because my RE5 co-op partner insisted we give it a try.

So, yeah, I'd say Resident Evil 4 was the best of the bunch. Part 1 and 2 got by on amazing graphics (for the time) and a surprising amount of violence (again, for the time). After the formula got stale in RE3 and the Dreamcast flopped (Code Veronica was too hard for mainstream gamers, anyway), RE4 stood out like a shining beacon during the PS2/Xbox/GC console war!
You're right about the gameplay in RE4 being fun. I played it on the Wii and I thought ht gameplay was incredibly fun. It was just everything else that was mind numbingly stupid.

Like the way Leon keeps finding eloquently worded notes that explain, in depth, exactly what the badges plans are? There was one part specifically where a not is like, "Make sure the monster is ready on the path up ahead and to the left. And make sure the treasure is well stocked on the path up ahead and to the right." I can't remember the exact wording but I bust out laughing when I was playing it.

It just baffles me how there are people who take the story of the game extremely seriously.

For me, RE 2 was the best the series ever got. I remember enjoying that game.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #13
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
You're right about the gameplay in RE4 being fun. I played it on the Wii and I thought ht gameplay was incredibly fun. It was just everything else that was mind numbingly stupid.

Like the way Leon keeps finding eloquently worded notes that explain, in depth, exactly what the badges plans are? There was one part specifically where a not is like, "Make sure the monster is ready on the path up ahead and to the left. And make sure the treasure is well stocked on the path up ahead and to the right." I can't remember the exact wording but I bust out laughing when I was playing it.

It just baffles me how there are people who take the story of the game extremely seriously.

For me, RE 2 was the best the series ever got. I remember enjoying that game.
I agree -- game looks good. I kind of like the creepy CG look of the characters, there's a tinge of uncanny valley left that actually helps the aesthetic, heh. I was thinking while watching it on Twitch about how RE4's outdoor environments (all the trees they rendered in the distance) really blew me away at the time, and how much better this game looks than that one (the last one that REALLY impressed me). All of the foliage in the new one specifically impressed me out of the gate -- I found my brain thinking "Man, if these plants had a bit of sway to them ala SpeedTree, this would be mind blowing!", but then I told my graphics-whore mouth to STFU!
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capcom, resident evil 7 biohazard