Yesterday 02:56 PM
2,800 Replies, 357,107 Views

Old 05-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Star Wars: Boba Fett Movie in the Works from James Mangold

Quote:
The hunt is on.

James Mangold is writing and will direct a Star Wars stand-alone movie centered on Boba Fett, the feared bounty hunter and fan-favorite character, The Hollywood Reporter has exclusively learned.

The reveal comes as Disney and Disney-owned Lucasfilm prepare for the release of the latest Star Wars stand-alone film, Solo: A Star Wars Story. Solo, which opens Friday, is the second movie to be spun from the main Star Wars line — Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was the first — but it is the first to focus on a particular character.

Lucasfilm is developing movies on a slew of characters including Obi-Wan Kenobi, which has Stephen Daldry in negotiations to direct, although no writers are working on a script.

It was rumored that Simon Kinberg, the writer-producer behind the X-Men franchise and films such as The Martian, was working on a Boba Fett movie. While Lucasfilm and Disney won’t make any official confirmation, sources say that Mangold will co-write the script with Kinberg, who will also produce the Boba Fett project. Kinberg and Mangold are close, having worked on Logan, the X-Men spinoff that earned high praise last year.
The Hollywood Reporter.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Milk that cow until it's anorexic.
Beat that horse until it's glue.
Work it, Disney...work it.

Solo is going to flop hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post

That'll be a matter of perspective. So far no Star Wars movie has "flopped" regardless of the perceived quality, or lack thereof. The last three, Rogue One, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi all broke $1 billion dollars at the box office... which was also a figure broken by Episode 1.

Adjusted for Inflation The Force Awakens is #10 of all time and it was seen by many as a serious disappointment.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
That'll be a matter of perspective. So far no Star Wars movie has "flopped" regardless of the perceived quality, or lack thereof. The last three, Rogue One, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi all broke $1 billion dollars at the box office... which was also a figure broken by Episode 1.

Adjusted for Inflation The Force Awakens is #10 of all time and it was seen by many as a serious disappointment.
It is correct that none of the Star Wars movies has disappointed, but The Last Jedi did make significantly less money than Disney had projected and it left the franchise with a black eye which will certainly impact the total box office of Solo in a bad way.

Solo already looked like it was going to be disappointing before they dumped the turd that is Last Jedi.

And no matter what the box office, they are going to have to work twice as hard now to win people back as fans after Last Jedi. Heck, even Mark Hamill was trash talking Last Jedi. That's pretty bad and it's a PR nightmare for the Disney marketing people.

On top of that, the writers for Episode 9 now have to figure out how to bring the rebellion back to life after Rian Johnson killed off pretty much everyone. They set the story back almost to where it was before Force Awakens. What should have been the third film in the franchise kinda has to start the franchise over again from scratch.

If Disney keeps Johnson around after Last Jedi, they are bigger morons that I think they are.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

As for Solo. I'm still keeping an open mind. Ron Howard is a great director, but the trailers looked really mediocre. We have tickets for Saturday afternoon.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post

The initial reactions seem pretty positive and there's a ton of buzz about a particular cameo that no one saw coming.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The initial reactions seem pretty positive and there's a ton of buzz about a particular cameo that no one saw coming.
Really? The initial reactions I'm seeing range from awful to "meh". Very few seem pretty positive. It's going into an opening weekend with the lowest average RT score of any recent Star Wars movie (70% all/ 62% top critics).

Also, keep in mind Solo cost at least $250 million. That's more than The Last Jedi and more than twice Revenge of the Sith. It needs to make at least half a billion just to break even. And Disney just scaled down their expected opening weekend by tens of millions of dollars. Worldwide box office it will more than likely make their money back. But there will be no Solo 2. And I doubt the Boba Fett movie will happen. If the downward trend continues, and it most certainly is if you look at the box office of every single Star Wars movie ever made, then the finale in the current trilogy will be the end of it.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
actusoul
Evil Dead

I have seen positive reviews as well. I will watch it. Its Star Wars. this is Han Solo's origin story. I am looking forward to it. Why would a "fan" not watch it?
actusoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

This is a mistake. Boba Fett is best when he barely speaks and has his mask sealed to his head. Maybe they can make it work where he's a borderline Terminator/Jason Voorhees and some other disposable main characters are desperately running from him. But if we "get to know" Boba Fett, it's probably going to suck.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
I have seen positive reviews as well. I will watch it. Its Star Wars. this is Han Solo's origin story. I am looking forward to it. Why would a "fan" not watch it?
For me it’s because I just don’t care. The Last Jedi pretty much ruined Star Wars for me.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #11
Angelus073
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
This is a mistake. Boba Fett is best when he barely speaks and has his mask sealed to his head. Maybe they can make it work where he's a borderline Terminator/Jason Voorhees and some other disposable main characters are desperately running from him. But if we "get to know" Boba Fett, it's probably going to suck.
So you clearly only watch the films.
Angelus073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus073 View Post
So you clearly only watch the films.
Well... yes and no. I read some of the EU stuff a while back but admittedly not a ton. I did read Tales of the Bounty Hunters way back when and I can't say I didn't enjoy the stories but in hindsight, I preferred Boba Fett as I mentioned above. I'd rather he be an unstoppable scary predator than adventure guy # 412.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:32 PM   #13
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
On top of that, the writers for Episode 9 now have to figure out how to bring the rebellion back to life after Rian Johnson killed off pretty much everyone.
The Rebellion is alive and kicking, just not as central as it was in the original trilogy. They are scattered around as not draw attention to themselves, but it is likely that their numbers are going to be rather substantial. What we lost in the Last Jedi were old school characters that many people grew up with, so no more cameos or lip service for the third film.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Thinking about it today I wish they'd just do a goddamn Kyle Katarn Dark Forces movie with Boba Fett as the antagonist. If it did well they already have an easy jumping off point for a new franchise within the Star Wars movie universe.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
The Rebellion is alive and kicking
Quote:
Old 05-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #16
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
For me it’s because I just don’t care. The Last Jedi pretty much ruined Star Wars for me.
The Last Jedi was so bad it made me appreciate Ep 1..3.

I'm done with the SJW bullshit, and KK in control has pretty much driven this deep into the ground.

Lucas should be pissed.

-
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
The Last Jedi was so bad it made me appreciate Ep 1..3.

I'm done with the SJW bullshit, and KK in control has pretty much driven this deep into the ground.

Lucas should be pissed.

-
Both Last Jedi and Solo underperformed big time. I suspect that Kathleen Kennedy will be on her way out after Solo, because at this point it appears that Solo will be the first Star Wars movie to actually lose money. They spent so much on making the film and advertising it that it is going to probably end up being a loss.

Disney isn’t exactly known for their charity. Unless she can somehow convince the people above her that the next film in development will be a huge win (and I doubt it will be) she will be on the chopping block.

They won’t announce it during the theatrical run of Solo, that would be bad PR on top of a flop, but you can bet sometime in the next year you will see her leave the company to “pursue an exciting opportunity” somewhere else.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Disney is doing to the SW property what ownership is doing to the NFL: In trying to grow an amazingly successful business they're expanding it in ways that offend their core fans AND watering down the experience by offering it everywhere and anywhere you can possibly look.

Star Wars isn't special any more, it's annual.
NFL games aren't special any more, they're near-daily in-season, and even out of season now!
Both of them have pissed off the fans that got them there for no productive purpose other than 'because they can.'

Fuck 'em both, lol.
Quote:
Old 05-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

As a lifelong fan, I'm glad we're getting the "Star Wars Story" films; I've wanted to see stuff like that since I got into the EU back in elementary and middle school.

At this point, I'm more excited for the Boba Fett and Obi-wan movies than Ep9; these side stories at least manage to capture the essence of Star Wars better than the two new saga films ever did.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #20
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Box Office: 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Struggling to Hit $110M in U.S., Crashes Overseas

Sounds like Disney has their first Justice League. I checked the seat availability at my local Cinemark (you have to reserve seats online or in person), and for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday showtimes the room is practically empty. The previous three Star Wars movies were sold out the first 2 weeks. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was sold out until the last day. Avengers is still sold out. For a movie this big with so much hype and money on the line anything less than a similar performance is a disaster.

Tags
boba fett