Post something good you...
Last post by PacerDawn
Yesterday 08:41 PM
312 Replies, 91,667 Views

Old 02-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

[Comics] - Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews - Year 2 - Week 8

Welcome to week eight of Evil Avatar’s Weekly Comic Book Reviews.

The Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway for week eight is Runaways #13 courtesy of BCBcomics. The deadline of entry submissions for week eight is midnight EST on Sunday, February 26th. The selection of the random winner for the February books will occur on Monday, February 27th. Click here to submit your entry and don’t forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname. Remember, you can submit one entry each week to increase your chances of winning.

The list of books that are going to be given away for the month of February are:

· Hulk #91
· WILDCATS: Nemesis #6
· Franklin Richards Son of A Genius: Everyone Loves Franklin #1
· Runaways #13

If you’re tired of missing out on your regular or new comics then you’re in need of a reliable comic book subscription provider. Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway provider, BCBcomics offers comic book subscriptions with many fringe benefits including no hidden costs, 30-35% off of cover price (depending on the publisher), all issues are bagged and boarded and cheap* shipping on all orders (*see BCBcomics’ website for the details).

In addition, the comics featured on BCBcomics home page are 50% off or just $1 if you’re a subscriber.

Remember, these are NOT spoiler-free reviews.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Week Eight:
Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews – Year 2 - Week 8
By Everlost_MI (Brian K. Nichols), Editor in Chief

Batgirl #73 (End of the ongoing series)
Publisher: DC Comics
Writer: Andersen Gabrych
Penciler: Pop Mhan
Inkers: Jesse Delperdang and Adam Dekraker
Colorist: Jason Wright
Editor: Michael Wright
Price: $2.50 US/$3.50 CAN

This series comes to a close with the revelation of Lady Shiva’s origin as well as the confirmation of her being Cassandra Cain’s (Batgirl) mother. A final fight between mother and daughter leaves Batgirl victorious as she snaps Lady Shiva’s neck but she’s unable to finish her mother off. In respect and as a huge cliffhanger, Lady Shiva's last wish of not to being resurrected in the Lazarus Pit is granted as Cassandra impales her dying body upon hook that precariously hangs over the Lazarus Pit. It appears from the artwork that the hook could tear through Lady Shiva and drop her body into the Lazarus Pit. The book ends Cassandrea leaving the cowl of Batgirl behind her.

Andersen Gabrych’s characterizations and dialogue were enjoyable and the plot was accessible to those who normally do not follow the series or character. Pop Mhan’s artwork is a decent, but there are some inconsistencies when it comes to the faces of the characters. Nevertheless, Mhan’s work really shines during the fight sequences and panel layouts.

Bottom Line:
The issue was enjoyable; it had a nice mix of action and revelations. However, for fans of the character and the series, the ending may lack the punch or finesse you had hoped for.

Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 EvilEyes

Runaways #13(An ongoing series)
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Writer: Brian K. Vaughan
Penciler: Adrian Alphona
Inker: Craig Yeung
Colorist: Christina Strain
Letters: VC’s Randy Gentile
Editor: MacKenzie Cadenhead
Price: $2.99 US/$4.25 CAN

The issue opens with Molly waking up in the sewers under Los Angeles with a collar around her neck while being surrounded by runaway children who’ve been dubbed The Artful Dodgers. These children have become enslaved to The Provost by the threat of turning them into stone statues by the collars that they wear if they do not rob for him. The Provost states that tampering with the collar will ensure petrification. Molly forms a plan with the children to escape and they’re able to gain their freedom after defeating the Provost. Molly tries to get the children to join the Runaways after the victory but they just want to go home to their parents as they realize they miss their former lives. These responses burrow into Molly subconscious as she dreams of her parents still being alive as the issue ends.

Brian K. Vaughan has created a great stand alone Molly-centric story that no matter how strong any of the Runaways are or that they did they right thing by revolting against their parents, they’re still emotional as they miss their former lives and parents. The dialogue was witty and the characterizations were excellent. Adrian Alphona’s artwork continues to add a unique flavor to the series with a touch of manga.

Bottom Line:
Whether you’ve been following the series or are a new comer, this is an enjoyable stand-alone story that adds an additional layer to Molly character.

Rating: 4 out of 5 EvilEyes

Manhunter #19 (An ongoing series)
Publisher: DC Comics
Writer: Marc Andreyko
Penciler: Javier Pina
Inkers: Fernando Blanco
Colorist: Steve Buccellato
Letterer: Travis Lanham
Editor: Joan Hilty
Price: $2.50 US/$3.50 CAN

This issue brings Manhunter, Kate Spencer, face to face with her super-power biological father Walter Pratt. Pratt kidnapped Kate’s ex-husband and son in an effort to get a bone marrow transplant from his grandson to save him from bone cancer. Pratt enlisted the aid of Phobia and Dr. Moon for this caper, but Kate soundly trounced Phobia and Dr. Moon was a victim of collateral damage. Pratt enraged by the death of Dr. Moon who was his last chance leaps throw the teleporter Kate uses to get back home. Kate, who has proven herself capable of being a Manhunter, shows her father no quarter as she kills him by crushing the teleporter device as he was half way through the portal. Meanwhile, Damon who is Kate’s assistant discovers that his boyfriend, Todd, is the son of Alan Scott, the Golden Age Green Lantern. A holographic message from Alan Scott appears bearing bad news about Todd’s sister. The issue ends with Kate discovering she was pregnant after being told by the doctor that she miscarried from the trauma of the fight. Kate’s son, Ramsey, vows by her bedside that he won’t anyone hurt her or his Dad again. Which is could be an interesting subplot as the next issue picks up a year later from the Infinite Crisis.

Marc Andreyko has closed and created various entertaining subplots in this issue despite the impending One Year Later DC universe-wide storyline. Andreyko's dialogue and use of characters is excellent and quickly draws the reader into the story. However, the artwork by Javier Pina is rough and has a tendency to cause distractions from the immersion of the strong script.

Bottom Line:
I have to state that while the issue was enjoyable, it doesn’t begin to scratch the surface of how interesting and intricate the series is. It’s an intelligent series that feels like a super hero Law & Order series filled will strong characters in the midst of solid action, drama and suspense. With that being said, if this issue sparks any interest, take the time to at least look at some of the previous issues.

Rating: 4 out of 5 EvilEyes

What else is worth reading this week…

· Justice #4 – The heroes fall like dominos.

The Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway for week eight is Runaways #13 courtesy of BCBcomics. The deadline for week eight entry submissions is Sunday, February 26th.

Click here to submit your entry and don’t forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname.

Remember, you can submit one entry per week to increase your chances of winning.

Last edited by Everlost_MI; 02-20-2006 at 03:42 AM..
Everlost_MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

I would recommend avoiding the X-Men: Apocalypse Dracula series at all costs. The story is horrible and the artwork is meh. I had to put it back on the rack after trying to leaf through it in the store.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Thanks for the heads-up about the Dracula series. I saw it in the shop yesterday and thankfully passed it by.

Is Ultimate Wolvie vs. Hulk #2 out this week? I thought I read somewhere that it was. And how long do I have to wait for Marvel Zombies #4? Someone tell me these things!!! I've become re-hooked on comics. Sigh.

PSN: Spigotsan
Gamertag: Guboo
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot
Thanks for the heads-up about the Dracula series. I saw it in the shop yesterday and thankfully passed it by.

Is Ultimate Wolvie vs. Hulk #2 out this week? I thought I read somewhere that it was. And how long do I have to wait for Marvel Zombies #4? Someone tell me these things!!! I've become re-hooked on comics. Sigh.
Yup, Ultimate Wolvie Vs. Hulk #2 is supposed to ship this week as well as Astonishing X-Men #13. Next week is Marvel Zombies #4, so hold tight!
Old 02-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
thecrazyd

Anyone else here read Pirate Club? I just got caught up with issues 7-9, and damn is it awesome.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
WastelandDan
Frontier Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlost_MI
I would recommend avoiding the X-Men: Apocalypse Dracula series at all costs. The story is horrible and the artwork is meh. I had to put it back on the rack after trying to leaf through it in the store.
I did the exact same thing when I saw it. Opened it up, looked at it for about 20 seconds and then put it right back down. It reminded me of the tv special "The Batman Vs Dracula". Even when you consider that The Batman is a terrible, terrible show (especially compared to the original Batman cartoon now on dvd) it was still really awful.
WastelandDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I really could not understand the ending of Batgirl to save my life.

What in the world happened? I got that she had to kill Shiva even though that didn't really make sense. I got that Shiva didn't want to be put into the Lazarus pit. So... Cassandra hooks her by a chunk of skin to a hook dangling over the pit? What?

It was bizzare and gross....
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
Kefkataran
Die trying

Quote:
Check my Comic Day post on Tuesday. It'll definitely have Ultimate Wolvie v. Hulk and Marvel Zombies in my list if they're out.

Quote:
Anyone else here read Pirate Club? I just got caught up with issues 7-9, and damn is it awesome.
I've actually never heard of it. What is it, who puts it out, and who's it by? Details!

Quote:
I got that Shiva didn't want to be put into the Lazarus pit. So... Cassandra hooks her by a chunk of skin to a hook dangling over the pit? What?
Yeah, I didn't read the book but this part in Everlost's synopsis made me go "Huh"?

Announcement to all of you: START READING TESTAMENT IMMEDIATELY. Finally got the first three issues of this Vertigo series and read them this weekend, and it's FANTASTIC. This is a series you do not want to miss out on.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #10
thecrazyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefkataran
I've actually never heard of it. What is it, who puts it out, and who's it by? Details!
Pirate Club is a cool little black and white number drawn and written by Derek Hunter. The art has a really unique style that looks weird at first, but really grew on me. And the story keeps getting better. It is put out by Slave Labor, but is not your typical teen angst SL book. The first arc is about to end, and I eagerly await the next issue. The first issue was released online for free, and you can find that, as well as some other minis Derek Hunter made at www.pirateclub.com
Old 02-19-2006, 09:14 PM   #11
Kefkataran
Die trying

Quote:
Pirate Club is a cool little black and white number drawn and written by Derek Hunter. The art has a really unique style that looks weird at first, but really grew on me. And the story keeps getting better. It is put out by Slave Labor, but is not your typical teen angst SL book. The first arc is about to end, and I eagerly await the next issue. The first issue was released online for free, and you can find that, as well as some other minis Derek Hunter made at www.pirateclub.com
Well, hell. I do dig Slave Labor quite a bit. I'll need to look into it. Any trades or plans for trades?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #12
thecrazyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefkataran
Well, hell. I do dig Slave Labor quite a bit. I'll need to look into it. Any trades or plans for trades?
Why, indeed there is! There is currently a trade out containing the first five books. I would expect another one shortly after #10 comes out.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
Kefkataran
Die trying

Quote:
Why, indeed there is! There is currently a trade out containing the first five books. I would expect another one shortly after #10 comes out.
Fantastic! I'll definitely be picking this up on your recommendation, and I'll let you know what I think when I do.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:37 AM   #14
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy
I really could not understand the ending of Batgirl to save my life.

What in the world happened? I got that she had to kill Shiva even though that didn't really make sense. I got that Shiva didn't want to be put into the Lazarus pit. So... Cassandra hooks her by a chunk of skin to a hook dangling over the pit? What?

It was bizzare and gross....
I cleaned up the synopsis a bit. I thought the Batgirl ending was to leave it open for Shiva to come back because the hook will rip through her shoulder. I felt the ending was a quick way for the powers that be at DC to allow a new Batgirl to come into play after One Year Later.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:32 AM   #15
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlost_MI
Next week is Marvel Zombies #4, so hold tight!
Next week? I just got issue #3 last week, I didn't think those came out until like the first week or two of the month. I would think at least 2 more weeks before the next issue?

While I was in the store I also saw the "Marvel Zombies Issue #1 - Alternate Addition". Basically, it's a reprint of issue #1 with a different cover. I picked one up because the guy at the store said he would give me $10 credit for my original first issue.

Why did they put out an alternate addition? To milk money out of us?
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:35 AM   #16
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn

No, its because the first issue had a limited print and sold out insanely fast and people like me who got to the store on Thursday rather then Wendsday found it completely sold out. So yeah, that really sucked for me.

As for last week's comics, I think I enjoyed Runaways the most. That series is just a lot of fun and looks great as well. Molly is probably my favorite character in the series as she really brings out the childish fantasies of the whole situation. It was really nice seeing her get the spotlight.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:08 AM   #17
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid
No, its because the first issue had a limited print and sold out insanely fast and people like me who got to the store on Thursday rather then Wendsday found it completely sold out. So yeah, that really sucked for me.
A owner of one of the comic shops I go to was telling me he's been seeing first print copies of Marvel Zombies #1 going between $20-$60 a pop on Ebay.

*shrug*
Old 02-20-2006, 08:12 AM   #18
Kefkataran
Die trying

Quote:
Like Aspect said, Marvel didn't bank on the series being as popular as it has been, so they didn't print enough copies and it sold out fast. I'm sure some people who already got the first ish will by the Alternate addition for the variant cover, but I've never understood those variant cover folk.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #19
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

You know, I only like the Variant covers because they let me pick which cover I like best (assuming one isn't marked up in price). I would never buy both copies of a comic, but I'm always up for having more choices.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:00 AM   #20
Kefkataran
Die trying

Quote:
You know, I only like the Variant covers because they let me pick which cover I like best (assuming one isn't marked up in price). I would never buy both copies of a comic, but I'm always up for having more choices.
It's okay some of the time, but ocassionally they go variant cover crazy. Like with variants for all 12 parts of that 'meh' Spider-Man: The Other crossover? Yikes. But like two covers for each issue of Infinite Crisis? I can deal with that. (Make mine Perez!)