Last post by ElektroDragon
Yesterday 09:19 AM
5 Replies, 426 Views

Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #41
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Such a well thought out criticism to a comment that is basically spot the fuck on.
He said Nintendo consoles should die. (psp voice) I jolly dam well take exception to that notion and reject it thusly (psp voice)

Nintendo sold all the Wiis it could produce. If you take chances you will sometiimes strike out. Why does nintendo need to stop making consoles after one mishap?

As for Amiibos, i have 41 of them. And im going to keep on buying them because i like them. I dont care if its plastic DLC, i never even scan them.

And anyway, its been a fine console for me. Ive gotten my monies worth. Not everything has to be a PS2 or Wii.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:02 AM   #42
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
He said Nintendo consoles should die. (psp voice) I jolly dam well take exception to that notion and reject it thusly (psp voice)

Nintendo sold all the Wiis it could produce. If you take chances you will sometiimes strike out. Why does nintendo need to stop making consoles after one mishap?

As for Amiibos, i have 41 of them. And im going to keep on buying them because i like them. I dont care if its plastic DLC, i never even scan them.

And anyway, its been a fine console for me. Ive gotten my monies worth. Not everything has to be a PS2 or Wii.
The Wii was a misstep, The Wii U an even bigger one, hell if you really want to get down to it, the N64 was a major misstep that put Sony and the playstation brand on the map to begin with. Yes that could have been The Nintendo Playstation.

If the NX or whatever they end up calling ends up with virtually zero third party publisher support, I really don't see Nintendo sticking to consoles very long after. It's like people forgot the NES and Super Nintendo and the huge vast catalog of titles those two systems offered, something for everyone really. Now? It's Mario/Kart/Smash Bros and maybe if you're lucky a Zelda game, unless they delay it to the point of just pushing it to the NX anyway. For those not all that enchanted by mario anymore, that leaves very little desire to buy their hardware at all.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #43
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
The Wii was a misstep
o_O Dafuq? You realize Nintendo made more on the Wii than MS and Sony combined in their entire console history? At one point the Wii was making multiple billions per year! MS and Sony could only dream. And Sony lost everything they'd made on the PS2 and PS1 with the PS3. How on earth can you cast the Wii as anything other than the greatest financially successful single console in all of history? You can't, that's what it is.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #44
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
o_O Dafuq? You realize Nintendo made more on the Wii than MS and Sony combined in their entire console history? At one point the Wii was making multiple billions per year! MS and Sony could only dream. And Sony lost everything they'd made on the PS2 and PS1 with the PS3. How on earth can you cast the Wii as anything other than the greatest financially successful single console in all of history? You can't, that's what it is.
And that right there is the big joke. The Wii U and the Gamecube were far superior to the Wii, and the Wii sold like gangbusters.

This generation of console is the worst I've ever seen and it's doing fine. It's identical to the very last generation of console with just a mild-moderate improvement in hardware. Even the games are all the same.

It's almost as though the more quality/innovation goes up, the less the system sells. Do you know why? Because consumers are retarded, and they buy what they're told to buy from their pop culture and their neighbors. People buy products based on image of all idiotic things.

Can anyone here tell me they loved the Wii, its grainy visuals, and it's messy motion controls (that become tedious in long sittings) more then their Wii U, Gamecube, SNES, N64, etc?

Better product doesn't always mean better sales, and vise-versa.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #45
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
And that right there is the big joke. The Wii U and the Gamecube were far superior to the Wii, and the Wii sold like gangbusters.

This generation of console is the worst I've ever seen and it's doing fine. It's identical to the very last generation of console with just a mild-moderate improvement in hardware. Even the games are all the same.

It's almost as though the more quality/innovation goes up, the less the system sells. Do you know why? Because consumers are retarded, and they buy what they're told to buy from their pop culture and their neighbors. People buy products based on image of all idiotic things.

Can anyone here tell me they loved the Wii, its grainy visuals, and it's messy motion controls (that become tedious in long sittings) more then their Wii U, Gamecube, SNES, N64, etc?

I largely agree. There are several people that whom I personally know that purchased the original Wii only to play it maybe a half-dozen times. They bought it because it was a "cool" thing to have, but certainly didn't fit in the normal demographic of console purchasers (these were older people, not previously into gaming, that bought it). The Wii had a wonderful gimmick that sold a lot of consoles to people that wouldn't have been interested in the console, and weren't shortly after the purchase of the Wii -- sales don't equate to an automatic assumption of a step in the right direction in my view.

However, I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say "consumers are retarded," but it certainly appears that it can be argued that marketing is the most important aspect.

Of course the value in the product is up to the individual, but the individuals I knew that purchased the Wii generally saw that value disappear after a few plays.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #46
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's not that surprising. The Wii trailblazed, and trailblazers often get much more attention than those that are just good at what's already being done, and also tend to have more flaws as well.

Super Mario 64 is not the world's greatest 3D platformer, but it was the first good, and for that was extremely popular. Similarly Star Wars is not the best scifi movie, yet for being the first good one it's got a gigantic fanbase still to this day.

Motion-controls pulled in a lot of people who never would've played games otherwise.

Quote:
This generation of console is the worst I've ever seen and it's doing fine.
I don't see how. I think the PS4 is one of the greatest console launches ever, hands down, with no major weaknesses and a ton of value. It doesn't have strong competition from MS this time, but it itself is in a class of its own.

Quote:

The Wii would've been better had it launched with 1:1 motion controls that became an add-on later. If they had followed that up with a VR system, they would've been on top of the world. They didn't because VR is still premature. It's not something they could just invent and market alongside a console, that would've been tantamount to betting the company in a sense, because it would've been extremely risky.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #47
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Even in this thread people confuse the Wii and the Wii U!!!! Ha!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post

Considering were stuck with the Wii U right now... It was a step in the wrong direction for sure regardless of it's predecessors success. When consumers think your new console is the same as the old one you fucked up. When the games look the exact same you're still fucking up. When you sell DLC as cheap Chinese mass produced pieces of shit then you've gone full retard. Nintendo has lost my respect and I don't see how they could get it back. Then again I'm not a child so it shouldn't matter and I don't require my life to be based on nostalgia to get by like most people these days.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #48
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
Then again I'm not a child so it shouldn't matter and I don't require my life to be based on nostalgia to get by like most people these days.
My favorite statement of a consumer who buys things on image.

My 12 year old nephew says the same thing. He loves his XBONE and PS4. Loves the "adult" games like Mortal Kombat (that I played when I was 8-10). Only adults like content of sex, booze, and blood. Not teenage kids. I swear. Those are adult things.

See Venom? Retarded.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #49
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
This generation of console is the worst I've ever seen
Completely agree. They're almost entirely irrelevant and unnecessary. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #50
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Completely agree. They're almost entirely irrelevant and unnecessary. Period.
Not really. The entire reason that they released new hardware was to push resolution up to 1080p (HaHa on that one for Xbone users) and for the bigger reason that sales of 360 and PS3 hardware were starting to drop off and games were getting stagnant.

Call of Duty was selling huge as was Grand Theft Auto, but Gears was gone, Killzone was gone, Guitar Hero/Rock Band were both gone... things were really getting stagnant.

While the industry as a whole was making more money, there was a lot of stagnation. Pushing out new hardware really got people interested again. The console war and all the discussion it brought, plus higher resolution games and now they are even bringing back a bunch of old franchises.

I think it was an important step to keep gaming moving forward. Another 2 years of the 360 & PS3 would have been Ok, but where would gaming be now if they hadn't released the new hardware?

Sure, there have been a lot of cheap ports, because that keeps product on the shelf while new games are in development, but I think it was important to get that new hardware out there.

Even Nintendo knows that. They are doing that new NX system soon.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #51
Terran
Evil Dead

There's no reason for the new hardware except to sell new hardware. That's not a good enough reason unless you're a stockholder. The software for consoles this generation sucks.

The Remastered Generation: Buy it Now, Buy it Again Later.™
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #52
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Considering were stuck with the Wii U right now... It [Wii] was a step in the wrong direction for sure regardless of it's predecessors success.
I didn't speak to the WiiU at all, and agree it is a stumble. Nintendo was probably afraid to be too different, possibly wanted consumer to think it was just the Wii, to keep buying it. Made the same mistake of every company that has a hit console--thinking they can carry that momentum into the next console somehow.

Quote:
When consumers think your new console is the same as the old one you fucked up. When the games look the exact same you're still fucking up. When you sell DLC as cheap Chinese mass produced pieces of shit then you've gone full retard. Nintendo has lost my respect and I don't see how they could get it back. Then again I'm not a child so it shouldn't matter and I don't require my life to be based on nostalgia to get by like most people these days.
All that said, I'll still buy a WiiU for Melee and that open-world Zelda game, and that's why Nintendo will never go bankrupt.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #53
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

I think graphics are very important for selling to a consumer. I have several friends with X1s and PS4s. Graphics are important. No one has ever said 1080p is important to them. They just want nice graphics.

Most of my friends have a X1 due to the multimedia features. The only people who care about native 1080p are internet fanboys. I have a PS4 and a X1. I never buy games based solely on which one has higher resolution. That would be near the bottom of my checklists.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #54
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Not really. The entire reason that they released new hardware was to push resolution up to 1080p (HaHa on that one for Xbone users) and for the bigger reason that sales of 360 and PS3 hardware were starting to drop off and games were getting stagnant.
No. They released new hardware was for better graphics, not mere 1080p resolution. If you really believe this, you're doing nothing but playing what is essentially a PR game. As shown with Killzone, people, apparently, couldn't tell that the single-player was 1080p while the multiplayer wasn't truly. Reviewers of COD:Ghosts were unaware the copies they played weren't actually 1080p on the PS4 -- they were simply upscaled from 720p. The entire reason to release new hardware is to make the games look better overall, not simply to 1080p -- which the last generation already saw games at 1080p.

I'm not arguing that 1080p isn't better than, say, 900p, but I believe there is a lot of evidence that most people can't tell. If it was such a big deal, they could have released the new hardware, but merely had games that looked on par with the PS3/360, just at 1080p and 60FPS.

Quote:
While the industry as a whole was making more money, there was a lot of stagnation. Pushing out new hardware really got people interested again. The console war and all the discussion it brought, plus higher resolution games and now they are even bringing back a bunch of old franchises.
I agree that new hardware brought new interest; it wasn't simply over higher resolution, however. If it were that simple, everything would look like a Wii game, just at 1080p.

Quote:
I think it was an important step to keep gaming moving forward. Another 2 years of the 360 & PS3 would have been Ok, but where would gaming be now if they hadn't released the new hardware?

Sure, there have been a lot of cheap ports, because that keeps product on the shelf while new games are in development, but I think it was important to get that new hardware out there.
I think new hardware is great, and that gamers fully expect it; it's not, however, vital. If new hardware had not come out for yet another two years, developers would just continue to release games for those systems.

Quote:
Even Nintendo knows that. They are doing that new NX system soon.
Nintendo knows that consumers like new hardware -- look at cell phones. You don't need new hardware to make new games; new franchises or not.

This generation has been, as touched on by others, the remastered generation. Both MSFT and Sony are doing this -- I don't blame them at all. Listen to people, aside from very vocal calls for "new franchises," look how well old ones sell? Hell, I'm personally excited for Halo 5 (which is the seventh Halo title!). Have you been skipping COD? While our individual answers are anecdotal, look at the sales of titles like Madden and COD. Even the very successful "new" series Destiny is a highly altered Halo. How many Mario and Zelda games have their been? Consumers are a fun bunch; often screaming they demand new, fresh titles, only to holdout to spend on the latest in their preferred franchise.

As to the resolution deal, it is always nice to have higher resolution -- yet, as I've shown, many people (which seemed to be all people until Digital Foundry showed otherwise in Killzone) don't notice it wasn't when games aren't 1080p. The Order 1886 runs at 1920x800, in fact. Don't recall people making a huge deal about that here.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #55
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I think graphics are very important for selling to a consumer. I have several friends with X1s and PS4s. Graphics are important. No one has ever said 1080p is important to them. They just want nice graphics.

Most of my friends have a X1 due to the multimedia features. The only people who care about native 1080p are internet fanboys. I have a PS4 and a X1. I never buy games based solely on which one has higher resolution. That would be near the bottom of my checklists.
This is one of the most stupid things I have ever read. Being an educated consumer is not being an "internet fanboy" whatever the fuck that is supposed to even mean. A higher resolution leads to better graphics every time even on "ugly" games. You can even use higher resolutions on a lower resolution display to improve the graphics if you have the proper hardware... Idiots like you and your friends just don't understand the things you buy or how they function. You're the kind people who probably own 720p televisions.

FYI you don't buy games based on resolution because you're stuck with two consoles that can't even regularly achieve 1080p or a steady frame rate. I understand people wanting the simplicity of consoles but don't delude yourself and spew bullshit to others.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #56
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
Isn't that what you do to pussies?
NSFW!!!

brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #57
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
NSFW!!!

[/youtube]

Ah man I love that.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #58
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Even in this thread people confuse the Wii and the Wii U!!!! Ha!!!!!
Lulz.

Quote:
I'm not a child so it shouldn't matter and I don't require my life to be based on nostalgia to get by like most people these days.

December 1994, Me, in a 67 VW bug, 17 years old, a sunny winter sunday morning, driving down the street of my old neighborhood. Not sure where i was going or why but i remember it.. its a death bed memory, i was happy at that moment and ill never forget it.

Too much nostalgia is a bad thing but imo if you are someone who doesn't reflect and remember the good times you are just trying to hard. Besides our ways and culture are intertwined with it. Chill the fuck out and enjoy your past.

As for using it to get by? Im guilty at times. Not these days though. But i can feel the need coming back as we speak. I will be back to living in the 90s collecting god knows what sooner or later. Prolly PC Engine stuff.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #59
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
This is one of the most stupid things I have ever read. Being an educated consumer is not being an "internet fanboy" whatever the fuck that is supposed to even mean.
No what you just said was the stupidest thing i ever read. Go down the list of people you know that have brought up resolution in any capacity other than some first time reading of the specs when it came out....No one except internet fanboys cares about resolution. Yes, internet fanboys.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #60
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Not sure where i was going or why but i remember it.. its a death bed memory, i was happy at that moment and ill never forget it.
Someday I'll figure out a way to monetize the act of shooting a person in that moment. I believe it could be a big business.

For me, 1996, 1986 Toyota camry, just left my girlfriends house after a piece of ass, going to get ready to go to a party with more girls. I REMEMBER the smell of the car. I REMEMBER my invincibility.

PERFECT. TIME. TO. DIE.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo