Today 10:34 AM
6 Replies, 584 Views

Old 10-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Titanfall 2 "Will Never Cost You Extra" - All New Maps and Modes Will Be Free

PCGamesN has the story.

Quote:
Update October 26, 2016: Respawn and EA have clarified their stance on Titanfall 2's post-release content, saying you won't see a Season Pass pop up for the DLC - it'll all be free.

"Remember when buying a game got you everything?" asked the Titanfall 2 Twitter today. "Another reason #Titanfall2 is different, no Season Pass needed..."

The official site says "all maps & modes will be free in Titanfall 2 Multiplayer". This, they say, is because they don't want to split the community when maps land. There are already some new maps planned, and up first is a remastered Angel City from the original Titanfall.

"This means once you’ve purchased Titanfall 2, your investment includes a full single player campaign, the full multiplayer maps and modes, and long-term support with no hidden costs," says the site. "You can pre-order the game to play 3 days early, but it will never cost you extra."

'It will never cost you extra' is a very strong statement, so hopefully they stick to that. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see cosmetic items pop up as optional in-game purchases. I also can't imagine single-player DLC would be free, if they ever made any.
Nice! Respawn for the win!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I wonder if this means a limited post-release content amount.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
Blog
Evil Dead

I've been tempted by both this and Battlefield 1. I can't commit to more than one MP game at a time, so I've been on the fence. I just downloaded the BF1 trial last night, so I'll try that before I commit, but I'm pretty sure this just made my mind up for me.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
Rommel
International Playboy

GOD DAMNNIT THEY GOT ME.

I'm in the States tonight. I'll recruit my moron friends to play with me.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
Anemone
Evil Dead

Smell the desperation.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
actusoul
Evil Dead

I do not mind the extra $$ for additional content down the line. I appreciate it if I buy Titanfall but if I do then I do not want anyone to cut corners or limit content.

I gladly paid for the DLC for BF1 because I enjoy the game and I look forward to the additional content. I am also an accountant and I have worked in high tech. I understand cash flow, budgets, staff utility and projections.

It does sound desperate. I tried the Titanfall demo and I thought it was terrible. Maybe their sales projections are down due to feedback and the success of BF1 and the install base of COD.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
I do not mind the extra $$ for additional content down the line. I appreciate it if I buy Titanfall but if I do then I do not want anyone to cut corners or limit content.

I gladly paid for the DLC for BF1 because I enjoy the game and I look forward to the additional content. I am also an accountant and I have worked in high tech. I understand cash flow, budgets, staff utility and projections.

It does sound desperate. I tried the Titanfall demo and I thought it was terrible. Maybe their sales projections are down due to feedback and the success of BF1 and the install base of COD.
I don't think Respawn had planned on a season pass to begin with. They don't have a huge stuff, so they could be moving a lot of their people on to the next project. From what I can tell they plan to support the game with post release maps and modes, but they did not want to get tied down with making four or five DLC packs.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
Anemone
Evil Dead

If they had just released a single-player campaign they could've captured at least another 30% in sales and people like me wouldn't give this an automatic pass.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #9
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Smell the desperation.
Based on all your comments in other Titanfall threads, it seems you've got a chip on your shoulder about this game. You loved Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 which had free content. I'm sure you didn't badmouth that. Some other company does the same and its desperation. Sheesh.

These are great games. Try 'em, you might be surprised that they're... ya know... fun.

Also, Respawn announced this shortly after Titanfall 2 was revealed.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
Coltaine
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
If they had just released a single-player campaign they could've captured at least another 30% in sales and people like me wouldn't give this an automatic pass.
You mean this single-player campaign?
Coltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Sounds really good. On the other hand, if they were creating post-release content worth charging for, they would. So...will it be content worth bothering about?

Still, more games should do this. Buy it and done with cash out of pocket. Like it used to be.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #12
waznpride
Squire

I'm really liking the Rainbow Six: Siege model. You can get the Season pass for the new operators for free and play the new map a week early OR just earn in-game currency and unlock them yourselves while playing on the new map. More games need this optional season pass mentality!
waznpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:07 AM   #13
Laz
Dread Lord

I was reluctant with the first game because it lacked single player. Also, when I tried the game on a free to play weekend, I couldn't connect to a server. But I picked it up on sale later and had a great time. I bought the season pass when it was on sale too.

I am not big on the pick a couple of weapons and upgrade them style of game-play, but Titanfall nailed it. I have had a lot of fun with the new Doom, but their multiplayer is boring. It is the same format as Titanfall, but the pace and upgrades are horrible in Doom mp.

Anyways, all this to say I think Titanfall 2 is going to rock. It's got what looks to be an interesting single player campaign. I had a blast with the mp in the first game and now we get free content with the second.

I am going to pre-order tonight at Green Man Gaming. I think it is on sale for $49 and and it looks like Respawn has addressed concerns from the first game and developed worthy sequel. Good luck to Respawn
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #14
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

I'm pretty excited for this game. Particularly with an actual single player campaign now. I just wish it supported "Play Anywhere" like GoW 4. Playing co-op on my PC with my daughter on the XBO would be really damn fun.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #15
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
You mean this single-player campaign?
Oh yeah, I seem to remember reading they're doing that with this one. But the critique stands for Titanfall 1.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #16
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Sounds really good. On the other hand, if they were creating post-release content worth charging for, they would. So...will it be content worth bothering about?

Still, more games should do this. Buy it and done with cash out of pocket. Like it used to be.
LOL since when has "worth charging for" & "post release content" (created post release) ever been factors in modern DLC

Shame it's on Origin, would definitely support any company who's realised how much damage they are doing gouging their customers at every single opportunity. For many games are a luxury and they need to be selective in the games they buy, however there are so many barriers now, from deceptive marketing, pre-ordering, pre order bonuses, unfinished games, DLC and their subsequent removal of mod tools all the way through to the Ultigouge of micro transactions.. essentially absolutely anything to get money off people for nothing that it's become a total cess pool over the last 10 years IMO.

So I'm all for a company that just makes a game and says.. hey look we've made a cool game and you get the full thing in the box.. may even brave Origin just to support this..
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

You don't think they charge as much as they can get away with for DLC? I think most companies charge the highest price they can for the goods they sell. That makes me very suspicious that their declaration of 'free' post-release content means they don't think their planned DLC merits a price tag.

If it's free, it's usually worth what you paid for it...nothing. Hopefully that's not the case with this, but...who knows.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:59 PM   #18
Lactose
Developer

what it comes down to is that dlc map packs splinter the user base and compromise matchmaking. That makes the game worse, especially for less popular game modes or at odd hours.

We could have charged for guns or whatever but we're reticent to invite "pay to win" complaints.

Offering cosmetic micro transactions seems like a less offensive way to go that does not impact matchmaking.
Lactose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #19
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lactose View Post
what it comes down to is that dlc map packs splinter the user base and compromise matchmaking. That makes the game worse, especially for less popular game modes or at odd hours.

We could have charged for guns or whatever but we're reticent to invite "pay to win" complaints.

Offering cosmetic micro transactions seems like a less offensive way to go that does not impact matchmaking.
Agreed. I was a huge fan of MW2 and I played all of the time with my brother and brother in law. Once the first map pack was released, it split our group and destroyed our interest in the game. In the end, I think we ended up deleting the DLC and trying to just play without it but the game was never quite the same. I've been wary of DLC ever since in that you just don't know what it will do to online play.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ea games, respawn entertainment, titanfall 2